The VG Resource

Full Version: Cave Background WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Just wanted to get some initial feedback on this cave background I am working on for a game. It's 4 separate layers that will use parallax scrolling. Keep in mind it's very rough at this stage. I've just blocked out some basic shapes and colours to get a look and feel, before I start detailing it. Any and all feedback is appreciated! Big Grin

[Image: cavestagebackground.png]
it looks like you saved it as a .JPG... Shocked
Not sure how that happened heh, uploaded it as a png. Re upped it should hopefully be better quality now.
oh okay that's better, phew.
its look very very well, like it.
you could go for some stronger colours in the pallet, the shapes don't pop nearly as much as they could because of it.
Bit of an update on the front layer, just a rough first pass of shapes and shading, no detail yet:

[Image: 1lSwR3h.png]
Hmm. Too early to say, but it's starting to look like it can become a bit too cluttered. How many more colours are you planning to add?
I would do it without the lighest shades of purple in that one stalactite and call it a day. the low contrast and big clusters make it pretty readable and detailed enough.
Back with another update on the background, been working on the middle layer this time:

[Image: rw44jD3.png]

I'm not planning to add any more colours on the frontmost layer, probably going to get rid of the lightest shade of purple as per Gors' feedback. Just to clarify, you won't see the entire background in game, just a part of it. I'm planning to reduce some of the detail in that front layer and cut down on the random directions of the shapes in the ceiling, as I agree it looks sort of distracting. Thanks for the feedbacks!
Small update:

[Image: 5Hoxo0s.png]

Worked on the very back layer some more and fixed some of the issues with the ceiling on the frontmost layer.
unless you want the game room to be this size, I don't think you should add that 'window' on the background graphic. If looped, it'll be obvious that you're reusing graphics. Either remove it or increase the number of 'windows'. Same with that river. An easier way to fix repetition is to use different tiles for it every time it reappears, to break the pattern.