The VG Resource

Full Version: Howdy :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Nice to meet you all, I'm here to learn more about sprites to make with games (Flash & ActionScript 3 is what I'm using at the moment), I am mostly self taught so please forgive me if I have missed something basic Smile

I'm much better at the tech side of things but the idea of coloring squares seems like something I should be able to pick up....I hope Big Grin

Looking forward to interacting with ye all!

Red
Hi RedXIV, welcome to the resource! You can probably find some great tutorials and tips around here, and of course all the great spriters here are willing to share their knowledge.

(02-26-2013, 06:30 PM)RedXIV Wrote: [ -> ](Flash & ActionScript 3 is what I'm using at the moment)

Another one! Fellow AS3 user at your service, not sure how experienced you are but if you do have any questions feel free to ask. I'm pretty fluent in the language (not that I have experience with every class, but who does), so hopefully I can help if needed.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here!
Welcome to the Resource Community, RedXIV! Genki ^_^

AS3 is fine but nothing beats JSFL I have yet to find a proper documentation of their DOM and classes. It's amazing how Adobe has a very nice online doc for AS but kinda fails to deliver the basics on their JavaScript extension stuff!
Thanks guys!

I'll def take you up on the offers of help as it usually takes me quite a long time to figure this stuff out from scratch Smile

I am using the Flixel library but taking from your comments I'm guessing you guys are a bit beyond that Smile

I didn't even know there was JSFL! I had to go and look it up Shy

While I have you guys here, should I avoid libraries such as Flixel and try to code everything from scratch?
(02-27-2013, 10:47 AM)RedXIV Wrote: [ -> ]While I have you guys here, should I avoid libraries such as Flixel and try to code everything from scratch?

Certainly not. The only real reason to do that is if you really want a specific sort of behaviour or mechanics. If Flixel gives you what you want, there's really no reason not to use it. It's good experience and educational to make your own engine, but if your current goal is simply to make a game, go ahead and use libraries.

By the way, I'm not beyond using libraries myself. I haven't even finished a game yet, most of my experience is actually with simple "useful" programs (which are surprisingly easier than making a game, trust me). I'm in the middle of my first game (which is temporarily on hold) and am also making a demo version for someone else's game (also kind of halted), but both with Flixel. If I wanted, I could make my own engine, but that would take a tremendous amount of time and effort to do exactly what Flixel does, if not less.

(Also just so you know, I might sound like some 30-year-old veteran programmer. I'm only 17 and have been coding in AS3 for like 3 years max Tongue)
First time I worked with AS or Flash in general was March 2012, though I've got a bunch of years of general programming experience.

I don't see an issue in using libraries (depending on what you want to create and achieve). I never used many, though, but I also never made anything huge. Well I wouldn't recommend it for making simple things like dress-ups, but they may save you a lot of time and trouble when going for something bigger. Though I personally tend to code game mechanics from scratch for the experience it brings. It really depends on what your focus is!
Thanks again guys, I feel a little better knowing that libraries are accepted.

And Previous, the game I'm working on has some similarities to yours, Mine is digging up a field looking for treasure (its not very sophisticated but I thought I'd start small Big Grin ) so I may pick your brain too!

Do you mind me asking if there are any particularly good tutorials you've seen for working with graphics in ActionScript3? I'm pretty happy with the mechanics of the game but getting it to look nice, that's what's killing me. I've been looking at the tutorial dump here but there's so much buried in it, I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion?
Well that depends of course whether you're working with vector or bitmap graphics, but since you're using Flixel I'm assuming it's bitmaps.
I don't really think there's much you can do on the coding side. Since you're here to learn about spriting, I guess that'll help, but personally I don't sprite and can't think of much you can do code-wise to improve it.