The VG Resource

Full Version: Crawle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: x7iSSa7.png]

Crawle is a sandbox dungeon crawler with a focus on realistic survival using mechanics such as hunger, thirst, diseases and wilderness survival such as creating your own tools, skinning animals for meat and fur and using the resources around you to stay alive.

[Image: 16OGY3R.png]

You can currently get the game for just £2!

Features

- Going without food or drink will cause you to die, diseases may also develop on your character from eating raw food or being around dead animals, increasing your death rate. They will also decrease certain stats.
- Dungeons can be found on the other side of holes. These dungeons will provide you with supplies and treasure. You can't stay for too long though, low sanity will kill you.
- Every mode besides easy mode has permadeath. However on the lower difficulty modes you have more chances.
- You can play blindly! Blind-mode gets rid of any informative pieces of GUI including health bars and item tool tips.
- Health is based off your blood content and the damage to your body parts. You can also bleed out.
- Animals do not despawn, instead they can be skinned, picked up and taken to your house or just left to rot.

Screenshots

You can find loads of screenshot (from very recent to very old) on our IndieDB images page.

Stay Updated

Development blog: http://sleepystudios.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46
IndieDB page: http://indiedb.com/games/crawle
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy-Stu...9562771199
YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/sleepystudiosdev
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sleepystudios
Looks pretty beast, going to check it out and edit this post with a mini-review. Wink

EDIT: Woah, it's pretty fun! I'd suggest making it easier to scale the game. I've got a high DPI display, so it was a bit difficult seeing everything. Also, definitely needs a mobile version. Cute
This looks pretty great, I was wondering if anybody would ever make realistic survival mechanics in a game (not including The Sims or whatever). I might check this out sometime if I have the time.
Seems pretty interesting though, I'd think you should add the ability to run into hostile animals and such as it would add a bit of danger to the survival game, as the wilderness has it's dangerous preditors and such.
(02-17-2013, 11:59 PM)Mag Wrote: [ -> ]Looks pretty beast, going to check it out and edit this post with a mini-review. Wink

EDIT: Woah, it's pretty fun! I'd suggest making it easier to scale the game. I've got a high DPI display, so it was a bit difficult seeing everything. Also, definitely needs a mobile version. Cute

Thanks! Yeah it's a pretty common complaint which I can't really do much about due to engine limitations.

(02-18-2013, 03:55 AM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]This looks pretty great, I was wondering if anybody would ever make realistic survival mechanics in a game (not including The Sims or whatever). I might check this out sometime if I have the time.

Realistic survival is pretty fun to do since you have so many details that you can put into it like the stats, like the way your health works, etc which is why we decided to do something like this.

(02-18-2013, 10:53 AM)Kami Wrote: [ -> ]Seems pretty interesting though, I'd think you should add the ability to run into hostile animals and such as it would add a bit of danger to the survival game, as the wilderness has it's dangerous preditors and such.

It's in there, just doesn't work as well as I'd hope at the moment. Still working on AI!
Looks really cool, I like the realistic approach! I was experimenting myself with animal AI in game maker a while ago. I had the idea of giving the NPCs their own needs, meaning that as long as they could find their preferred food they would go straight for it at the smallest sign of hunger and be friendly to the player, but if they couldn't find any food and their hunger got low they would get agressive and attack you on sight..
Of course that's just an idea, you know if you want some inspiration for animal movement and behavior and such..Smile
(02-19-2013, 02:31 PM)Sunlight Wrote: [ -> ]Looks really cool, I like the realistic approach! I was experimenting myself with animal AI in game maker a while ago. I had the idea of giving the NPCs their own needs, meaning that as long as they could find their preferred food they would go straight for it at the smallest sign of hunger and be friendly to the player, but if they couldn't find any food and their hunger got low they would get agressive and attack you on sight..
Of course that's just an idea, you know if you want some inspiration for animal movement and behavior and such..Smile

Yeah I mean there's a few things we've got on our list for development in terms of AI and it's a really complicated subject so it's gonna take us quite a bit.

------

Dungeon generation is getting some improvements! I've reworked a lot of it recently and tweaked a few things - dungeon rooms will now typically look something like this:

[Image: pmhEm4V.png]

On top of that there have been a few fixes to the collision on walls and a few misc. bug fixes for chests and pots.

Speaking of chests and pots: they now have a 1 in 50 chance (also depends on your difficulty) to damage you instead of give you an item!

More here: http://sleepystudios.com/showthread.php?tid=695
[Image: mowpVh4.png]

There's a lot more that we've got planned for dungeons: check back tomorrow for more info on that stuff.
As part of the new dungeon improvements we've decided to slightly modify the way holes work.

[Image: E4w3ljJ.png]
(Temporary graphics)

Holes now have to be manually broken-open. This is done by simply right-clicking a hole and selecting "Break-open Hole" - you'll also need a tool or a weapon equipped to assist you in the process.

To go with this we've also updated the way Earthquakes work. Earthquakes will now simply break open a random amount of holes (the chance of an Earthquake has also been doubled).

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some more info on the new dungeon content.

Also make sure to check out our new sub-reddit.
Crawle 0.6.0 has been released! Along with a whole list of bug fixes and tweaks, we're introducing a new load of content including a whole set of armour and a new weapon. Finally, this patch brings the stablest multiplayer experience yet!

Major highlights

We've focused a lot on improving the overall dungeon experience this patch. First, we've added a whole new set of armour and a weapon: the "rusted armour" set.

[Image: 4dqbbNz.png]

Sanity has always been a problem in dungeons. There has never been a way to recover sanity - until now. Standing next to a bliss statue will slowly recover sanity.

[Image: F6nEysR.png]

Another much requested addition is removing opened holes to avoid "random" deaths. With this patch, holes need to be opened up using right-click first (whilst having someone equipped in the main hand) before ladders can be placed on them. You can now find them as cracks in ground much like the one below.

[Image: 5ywwenq.png]

A much smaller addition that we've attempted to add since 2011 is emotes. We plan to add more over the next few patches so be sure to suggest any you wish to see in the future.

[Image: BmViizH.png]

Finally, you can now pick locks on locked chests. This is done by having Lockpicks in your inventory and attempting to unlock chests the same way you usually would.

[Image: LBSDXC8.png]

Make sure to read the changelog for a full list of changes and remember to post bugs here.

Changelog
Crawle 0.6.0 Changelog

Dev Log
The ninth dev log is here explaining all these changes in video format!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a08clpalrxw

Join the community
Sleepy Studios Forums
Crawle Sub-Reddit
A new update is out! The update adds sleeping, blackouts, fruit bushes and more! It also fixes a wide variety of issues and streamlines a lot of mechanics within the game. Check it out here: http://sleepystudios.com/showthread.php?tid=740
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. We've been pretty hard at work on the next patch. We're more active on our forums in terms of dev log updates and indieDB.

Anyway, today we've got some more information on the headline features of next patch:

The main focus of 0.8.0: mining, smelting and forging. The first step is making forges and anvils:

[Image: CqyKOVI.png]

As you can see they currently spawn in villages (this will change in the next major update). The process is "simple":

- Mine ore.
- Take ore to forge (as well as fuel for the forge).
- The forge will then create an ingot.
- This ingot can be used in the process of creating new armour and weapons.
(I realise how vague the above description for the process is but it should become clearer in time as we release more information)

In the next dev log we'll be revealing the central location for obtaining ores and fuels.
I just wanted to update everyone on the state of the patch (0.8.0) since I haven't been very active lately. We're still working on it as best we can but as you all know September is a busy month for those still in full time education. I can't promise a date still but I know it'll be worth it. On top of the new item guide and new updater the patch currently looks like this: http://pastebin.com/ffjBrGg4

That's a lot of stuff and is most certainly the largest Crawle update to date. So please be patient with us and keep sharing your ideas, suggestions and bugs with us on the forums.

Can't make a dev log without some sort of proper content so:

A lot of people have been complaining about rivers being the only source of drinking water - this is troublesome since rivers are sort of hard to find (if you don't know the technique).

[Image: 8pIaCfs.png]

To help with this we've added water to swamps. It'll work just like river water but will have a higher chance of causing a disease.

Thanks for all your support so far. If you want to support us even further why not get involved on our forums or follow us on twitter @sleepystudios
0.8.0 is finally here! After about 5 months of work, we've finally finished the massive new additions and changes as well as the plethora of bug fixes.

Major highlights

[Image: 9vdi7nk.png]

Mining has been added to Crawle. You can now mine randomly generated ore veins for ores. Currently you can mine coal, copper, tin or iron.

[Image: forge.png]

After mining your ores you can turn these ores into ingots using a fuel source (coal).

[Image: qBhe1JX.png]

Finally you can then use these ingots to turn them into armour and weapons.

[Image: 4QMywAk.png]

The merchant has now also returned. He will spawn randomly and trade rarer, more useful and more valuable items (in comparison to the villagers). Also in this image you can see the first weather mechanic we've added - rain. Rain will help crops grow but will also affect your body temperature.

[Image: W7n62af.png]

Finally, we've added a brand new updater to the game. This will replace the current updater which doesn't work for a relatively large amount of people. The updater is totally built up from scratch in Java so make sure you have Java installed.

Changelog

You can find the full changelog here

New store

We've switched stores since we've had a few problems with our current provider, FastSpring. Don't worry, if you've already bought the game you don't need to repurchase it.

You can find the new store here: http://sleepystudios.itch.io/crawle should you wish to buy a copy of Crawle.

Important update notes

The new updater will be in the patch files. This means you will need to update your shortcuts (use the "Crawle.exe" in the root folder) once the patch has finished installing.

Because of the poor state of the current updater, it will seem as if the updater is crashing - don't worry - it might hang for a while but it will download it in the end.

If your updater is not working: email us ([email protected]) with your order ID (if you can't remember it any other information would work - name & surname, address, email, etc) along with the error and we'll generate you a new download key for a fully up-to-date copy of the game.

We realise this may be inconvenient for some of you but in the long run the current updater is in a poor state and the new more powerful updater is much better both in terms of performance and in terms of delivering news.
The big release patch is finally done. The most significant changes in this patch is the new seasons system, the ability to finally craft the Rusted Armour and all of the massive bug fixes for multiplayer (which finally allow you to do combat with animals).

[Image: w0ZfbV7.png]

Changelog
The full changelog for this release is available here. It's a bit too long to post here unfortunately but the major highlights are below.

Major highlights

[Image: d25ibpS.png]

A new seasons system has been added. This system will include all four seasons and will have season-specific effects on both your world and your character. In winter, the days are shorter, trees die faster and your temperature goes down a lot faster. During spring time there's an increased chance of rain meaning faster crop growth among other things. Throughout summer you'll experience longer days and your temperature will go up a lot faster. Finally during autumn trees will begin to die and pumpkins will begin to grow.

[Image: N4LTmEC.png]

Another massive addition is the ability to finally put together the Rusted Armour and Rusted Blade. These were added in both 0.6.0 as rare chest drops. Now, you can craft them by dragging one of the required pieces onto an anvil. If you have the other pieces (the other two in the case of the blade and the other three in the case of the armour) then the item will be crafted.

But that's not all! There's loads of major bug fixes for multiplayer and singleplayer too (with a focus on multiplayer though). The result of these fixes are a much better multiplayer experience as well as the ability to finally do combat with animals and other NPCs.

Thanks for all the support throughout the development process. Crawle was our first commercial project and we feel like we've learned a lot about pretty much everything over the two years we've been working on it. We hope you all enjoy this release!
so its basically Don't Starve? looks neat though the player stands out too much I think. like he doesn't belong there.
Pages: 1 2