The VG Resource

Full Version: There and Back Again!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again, everybody! Genki ^_^ I do wanna apologize for disappearing through most of 2012, I was so caught up in the digital art scene that my fan game's progress died, as well as my interest in pixel art.

On top of that, I started my own Shantae fan forums, (The community is actually alive to boot! w00t!) and have been pretty active on deviantART. I've made a lot of great friends along the way in my pilgrimage out in the wilds of the Internet, while improving my skills and hoping to get better, so I can accept cheap art commissions on the side in the future. I enjoy creating art as much as I do animations now.

That was no excuse to stop posting on the forums here, though. Although now that I realize that it's not only possible, but easier to make pixel art in GIMP, (Which I've been using so heavily, that I know the interface better than anything else now.) my interest in it is picking back up, so maybe I can be more than another poster around here, and still deliver original pixel art content to this community too. ^^

So yeah, I've been pretty busy after all this time. XD Feels good stepping back into a familiar virtual space again. Cute All you guys and gals on tSR are real swell, I've missed posting here a lot.
Welcome back to the Resource Luke! I sure hope you'll stay here in the forums!
Hey Luke, welcome back to the Resource! I don't think I know you (I arrived here about a year ago), so nice to meet you! Hopefully you'll stay here for a while and make some great art Wink

(01-29-2013, 12:26 AM).Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Although now that I realize that it's not only possible, but easier to make pixel art in GIMP, (Which I've been using so heavily, that I know the interface better than anything else now.)

*fistpump*

I don't sprite myself but for arranging sheets (and any kind of non-vector image editing) I always use GIMP, and am a huge fan of the program. You're the first person I've met that uses it to sprite, and while I knew it was possible to make sprites with it I never was sure if it was sufficient or quite how good it was for the task.
Welcome back! :>
Welcome back Big Grin (even if though I just joined recently Tongue)
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, it's good to be back! Genki ^_^

(01-29-2013, 02:39 AM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Luke, welcome back to the Resource! I don't think I know you (I arrived here about a year ago), so nice to meet you! Hopefully you'll stay here for a while and make some great art Wink

Haha, I shouldn't be surprised you've already forgotten me! XD I still remember you though, can't forget a name like puggsoy. =P

(01-29-2013, 02:39 AM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]*fistpump*

I don't sprite myself but for arranging sheets (and any kind of non-vector image editing) I always use GIMP, and am a huge fan of the program. You're the first person I've met that uses it to sprite, and while I knew it was possible to make sprites with it I never was sure if it was sufficient or quite how good it was for the task.

Yeah, I use it for everything now, so it's cool knowing there's another active GIMP user on here. Cute (It's so handy having layers, the color replace function, and a bunch of the other tools, to make pixel art a much cleaner process than it was when I used KolourPaint or MSPaint. XD) Although I'm trying to learn how to use Krita, Inkscape, and CS2 now, because I like having the advantage of multiple programs, even if GIMP's my main killer app on Linux. =P

Krita's perfect for painting, Inkscape is better suited for high-res vectors, (10,000x10,000, for instance.) and Photoshop CS2- well, you never know when knowing PS's UI will come in handy, especially if I buy CS6 one of these days. XD
I think I tried Inkscape a way ways back, but back then if something didn't let you press a button to make something cool I scrapped it Tongue I use Flash for any vector art I do (i.e. not much) but I'll take a look at Inkscape sometime.

I've never heard of Krita, but I do have a (underused) drawing tablet so if I ever want to try painting or sketching something on the PC I may use that.
Welcome back to civilization! Tongue

Neat to hear that about GIMP. I like using it myself, but if I can I'll try to get away with using Paint.NET (generally resize-type operations or quick saves) as it's a little faster for me to use that Cute