The VG Resource

Full Version: custom Paper Mario Doopliss sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: th_Dooplissspritesheet_zpsfa6fd220.png]

My first sprite sheet! Tell me what you think.

whoops! just realized i posted the wrong image. My bad Tongue

[img][Image: Dooplissspritesheet_zpsfa6fd220.png][/img]

That should do it. Big Grin
you can't submit custom sprites without getting feedback on them first to make sure they're approved, so I will have to move this to the spriting board.
oh.......um.... How do I do that for future posts?
You just post them in this section, I'm sure.
yes just post them in the "Spriting & Pixel Art" forum. :>
not too bad for a 1st sprite sheet Smile

Maybe a little more shading and some anti-aliasing to smooth it out would help it for the most part Big Grin

edit: also, it's a bit jagged, but can be easily fixed
Well, I tried to make it look as close to his game of origin as possible
You did a pretty good job though.

When working with smaller images, anti-aliasing is great for smoothing out lines. With paper mario, there is a lot more room to make the outline than with the current size you have, so it seems that there is less of a need for it. The way to achieve the paper mario outline would be different in the case of a smaller sprite is all.
I did an edit for you,

[Image: dooplissedit.png]

I added more contrast between the grey shades, and used shading to show the folds of the sheet (where the front of the head meets the body, his back) rather than the black lines.

I also added some shading to his feet, hat, and bow tie.
With the outlines, it looked like you were trying to replicate the paper mario style thick outlines, but all you ended up doing was making the outline look jaggy, so I made them all single pixel thickness, and used coloured outlines inside the sprite.

On the ribbons on his hat, I added some anti-aliasing (adding lighter coloured pixels around the outline) to make it smoother.

Hope that helps Smile
Well, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that a bit of over anti-aliasing may be able to make a paper mario-ish outline on a smaller image

[Image: doopliss_ex.png]
If I make any more Paper Mario sprites, I'll take all of your guys' advice. Thanks for the tips Big Grin
The spite Epic, did is a great example. Although your sprite started out as a 8 bit sprite. All the critisim I can provide has been said. Cleaning the outlines with anti-aliasing would help a lot.
It'll probably take me a bit to master anti-aliasing, but, I am going to try
It's not as hard as you think. It's actually one of my favorite parts of working on scratch sprite! Manipulating a line so that it can be more appealing to the eyes is beautiful art! (I need help).

I have a list of tutorials for you.

The tutorials work now!