The VG Resource

Full Version: Best "Real Band" tunes in games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So you know how everybody gets into a band or artist that's more than just a soundtrack-creating band/artist after they hear them in a videogame?
Let's admit it, we're cool and love music, but we sometimes find awesome bands because of games - might not even discover them from games, but they make the game so much better from just being present.

I'll say that the two bands that stand out to me (Besides the obvious Jonathan Coulton of Portal) have to be

The Offspring - All I want (Crazy Taxi)

Tsunami Bomb - The Invasion From Within (Disgaea)

Both brought so much to their respective games. Offspring pretty much became the sound of Crazy Taxi - so much so that I always think of the game when I hear the song even though I heard it before playing it.

Tsunami Bomb brought so much to Disgaea during the battle it's played, and have spurred me on to be a massive fan of their music. (You should check them out too!)
Too bad the song The Invasion from Within was never seen again as it was a US-Only thing, so it makes it one of the lost tracks in the franchise as a whole before they went full-on JPop for some of the stage themes. (I hate to imagine the Asagi fights if Tsunami Bomb stuck around)

I'm not one for rap but I'm really digging this game's sound track.

This game is also amazing
One game that really sticks out to me is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; I was introduced to new favorite artists/bands of mine thanks to Wave 103, V-Rock, and Flash FM, such as:

-Corey Hart-"Sunglasses at Night" (Wave 103)
-Tesla-"Cummin Atcha Live" (V-Rock)
-Wang Chung-"Dance Hall Days" (Flash FM)

EDIT: There's plenty more, but I didn't want to list a lot of stuff, as
a) I'd have too long of a list
b) Many of the tunes I liked are from artists I'm already plenty familiar with (Human League, Go West, Black Sabbath, Tears for Fears, Megadeth, etc)
I completely agree with The Offspring part - I can't hear All I Want without immediately hearing "HEY HEY HEY ARE YOU READY TO MAKE SOME CRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY MONEY?!"

Aside from that I got some weird taste in music since I mostly listen to video game soundtracks anyway, but here's some quote-unquote "real music" I was introduced to through vidjagaems:

One Step Ahead by The Have - Burnout Dominator. Pretty much my favorite song in the game.
Moment of Truth by Gang Starr - Some BMX game my friend had where you could play as the Slim Jim guy for some reason.
Heat by 50 Cent - 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I don't think this even counts because it's his own game anyway but I'd never really listened any of his music before watching the Chip and Ironicus Let's Play and I wound up really liking this song whenever it played in the background.

Explicit warning for the second two songs (I think that's a given considering the artists but dunno if I am required to warn people or not so better safe than sorry)

And around 90% of the soundtrack for Elite Beat Agents.
Poets of the Fall anyone?

Jon Hopkins and New World Revolution are great.
New World Revolution's entire Rocketbirds soundtrack is really awesome, actually.
Jon Hopkins is very chill out music. I used to listen to it when I couldn't sleep.

(01-18-2013, 08:02 PM)Gaia Wrote: [ -> ]Too bad the song The Invasion from Within was never seen again as it was a US-Only thing, so it makes it one of the lost tracks in the franchise as a whole before they went full-on JPop for some of the stage themes. (I hate to imagine the Asagi fights if Tsunami Bomb stuck around)
It was also in the PAL version Tongue
Blank......I like Leona Lewis - My Hands. guess which series it's from guys. Also Kudos to Tellis for mentioning the J-5 before I had a chance to.

Oh Night's into Dreams theme song 'Dream Dreams' Capella version done by Boyz 2 Men.
The Offspring was in Crazy Taxi, how the smeg did I miss that?

I got into Breaking Benjamin thanks to Halo 2 (though hardly listen to them now mind) but well, Fallout 3 got me into older music... I think that's a good thing, right?
SSX on Tour (even though the game was a bit of a let down) had some great tunes in it as well.

Oh and SSX Tricky, for "It's Tricky" - man I love that tune.
I know this isn't originally from a game, but the soundtrack for Rock'n Roll Racing is great.
Pretty much every track in Fallout: New Vegas was an enjoyable earworm. Cute