The VG Resource

Full Version: Where would I go to ask for
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
tips on pixel art/level design?

I started this house a while back, and got some moderatly bad reviews and such, and I want to learn from what I did wrong to begin with, and what I should be doing for my current project; a side scroller map (which more than likely isn't going to be used for anything. Doesn't make it any less fun to do).

Or am I already here.
Well, as far as pixel art goes... you are here. Post a thread in the spriting section showing what you've got, then wait for constructive crit to roll in o3o

For level design? The forum isn't dedicated to it, per se but a few members here do have experience with making games so they can probably help you out with design, too Smile
There's a thread in the Gamedev section for posting miscellany related to gamedev that isn't big enough for its own thread yet.
I think I remember that house. I didn't comment but I saw other peoples' comments.

The problem with that was that it wasn't actually 8-bit, or pixel art. I'm no spriter but I can tell the difference. Pixel art is made by colouring specific pixels by hand, what you did was use tools of one or other program (maybe Paint or something) to draw lines and fill shapes.

Now, personally, it don't think it looked too bad. It was actually pretty OK, for what it was. But it wasn't pixel art or 8-bit, and since you announced it as such you got the comments that you got.

There are probably plenty of tutorials on beginning pixel art on the web, as I said I don't do it myself but other people here should be able to give you some links. Once you've got the basic principles under your belt you can practice a bit, post some samples in the spriting board and see what people think. Take up their advice to improve on what you have and hopefully you should get gradually better.
Honestly if it is just art stuff, Post it in the Art sections.

Sprites and Pixel art go into the Sprite and Pixel art section.

Drawn out both traditionally and digitally designs go into the Creativity Section.

Actual Programming and creation of a game goes into the Games Development section.

Depends on what art you are doing man~