The VG Resource

Full Version: Project RPG; Part one.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Man_zps0bbed618.png]

Now before anyone says anything about color and contrast, It currently isn't the problem here; the design of the RPG character (mold/template) is the current situation. I'm in need of help in designing rpg elements for a group project, (or game, as you may call it,) and I just want to know if I'm getting perspectives/animation right.

-Note That this is the mold/template for the design of all the characters in the project I'm working on and I have several more design issues that I am also trying to fix.*

(*I'll get back to you guys about those elements later...)
The biggest issue is that that doesn't look like walking at all.

...aside from the anatomy, I mean.
Honestly you need to start over completely and fix the anatomy before you move onto animation.
Those arms are pretty gigantic and your proportions are off.
(01-10-2013, 04:44 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest issue is that that doesn't look like walking at all.

...aside from the anatomy, I mean.
Honestly you need to start over completely and fix the anatomy before you move onto animation.
Those arms are pretty gigantic and your proportions are off.

I know and kind of figure that; I mean, making a four way walking character while keeping perspective is indeed hard to focus on and make. Plus I was trying to make it that way. (Large arms and stuff.) IDK I was TF2 styling it anyway (Tongue) but if you want me to make it more realistic/proportional, I'll do it. Question
considering the quality of your sprite, I dont think you should be focused in mimicking styles. You should be focused in making a good looking sprite, above all. The colors are eye-burning (high saturation; use less bright colors. I think you used MS Paint default colors for that, avoid them!) and you still have no notion of animation (did you proof-animate those sprites? Proof-animating is reccomended even for professional artists so don't be ashamed in doing that. There are great sprite animating programs in the gamedev section too, and they're free!) Classic RPG sprites are usually deformed to have their faces bigger in order to make their expressions readable in a limited size. And even if they were small, they had more interesting garment than a simble green shirt with blue pants.

Anyway templates for really small styles such as this one might be ok but I reccomend making a brand new sprite for every character.
(01-10-2013, 08:15 AM)Gorsalad Wrote: [ -> ]considering the quality of your sprite, I dont think you should be focused in mimicking styles. You should be focused in making a good looking sprite, above all. The colors are eye-burning (high saturation; use less bright colors. I think you used MS Paint default colors for that, avoid them!) and you still have no notion of animation (did you proof-animate those sprites? Proof-animating is reccomended even for professional artists so don't be ashamed in doing that. There are great sprite animating programs in the gamedev section too, and they're free!) Classic RPG sprites are usually deformed to have their faces bigger in order to make their expressions readable in a limited size. And even if they were small, they had more interesting garment than a simble green shirt with blue pants.

Anyway templates for really small styles such as this one might be ok but I reccomend making a brand new sprite for every character.

[Image: Man2_zps5c93bc0f.png]

Alright new colors/satuation of the new character mold. I will try to make it shorter and appealing to the eye.
colours still eye burning and your proportions are still off.
you dont need to abandon a style for good proportions, but you do need to keep things to a certain ratio, keep the general size and shape balanced and believable.
that said your fists are huge, arms stubby legs... odd, body short, head short.
the colours, the blue is over-saturated to heck, I'd advise avoiding pure blue colours, shift it a bit into the green, for a general blue I'd say between 200 and 220 hue (assuming 0 - 360 hue format) its a strong blue colour with less of the eye burn. that or as stated lower the saturation, with such a strong blue saturation should be at 70 or less (assuming 0 - 100 saturation format)
(01-10-2013, 07:59 PM)Bombshell93 Wrote: [ -> ]colours still eye burning and your proportions are still off.
you dont need to abandon a style for good proportions, but you do need to keep things to a certain ratio, keep the general size and shape balanced and believable.
that said your fists are huge, arms stubby legs... odd, body short, head short.
the colours, the blue is over-saturated to heck, I'd advise avoiding pure blue colours, shift it a bit into the green, for a general blue I'd say between 200 and 220 hue (assuming 0 - 360 hue format) its a strong blue colour with less of the eye burn. that or as stated lower the saturation, with such a strong blue saturation should be at 70 or less (assuming 0 - 100 saturation format)

[Image: Man3_zps349c9646.png]

Reportioned, resaturated, and resized for your demand. Scaling is used to help the proportions.
looking a lot better, but the feet are kind of big and I notices what the odd thing was about the legs! separate the legs so their spread slightly, having them right next to eachother... try standing like it and you'll end up bobbling about a bit because its not good for balance.
close inspection of your sprite also shows a couple of useless colours (colours so close to others the difference is not visible in use) I'd advise avoiding these, if you feel you need them then stretch your range of lightest and darkest so that each shade is noticeably different.
Can you use a soft color for the backround? It really makes my eyes cringe. Speaking of colors, the colors of your character is quite weird. The shade leans over to the side of yellows. You should try shifting the color to a shade of orange. It looks more natural that way.

Also, his head is really jagged! Shy
(01-11-2013, 09:37 PM)Bombshell93 Wrote: [ -> ]looking a lot better, but the feet are kind of big and I notices what the odd thing was about the legs! separate the legs so their spread slightly, having them right next to eachother... try standing like it and you'll end up bobbling about a bit because its not good for balance.
close inspection of your sprite also shows a couple of useless colours (colours so close to others the difference is not visible in use) I'd advise avoiding these, if you feel you need them then stretch your range of lightest and darkest so that each shade is noticeably different.

[Image: Man4_zpsec978e50.png]

Fixed color intensity and legs, as requested. Question

(01-12-2013, 12:08 AM)recolornerd Wrote: [ -> ]Can you use a soft color for the backround? It really makes my eyes cringe. Speaking of colors, the colors of your character is quite weird. The shade leans over to the side of yellows. You should try shifting the color to a shade of orange. It looks more natural that way.

Alright. Tongue
(01-12-2013, 12:08 AM)recolornerd Wrote: [ -> ]Can you use a soft color for the backround? It really makes my eyes cringe. Speaking of colors, the colors of your character is quite weird. The shade leans over to the side of yellows. You should try shifting the color to a shade of orange. It looks more natural that way.

[Image: Man5_zpsae75461f.png]

REVISED.

(01-12-2013, 08:48 PM)Harnando_Disoto Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: Man5_zpsae75461f.png]

REVISED.

[Image: Man6_zps69d76803.png]

Revised 2.
[Image: 1NbTR]

I tried to redo the colors, cause i noticed there were tons of unnoticeable useless shades, and lots of pillow shading
(01-13-2013, 06:11 AM)Lexou Duck Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 1NbTR]

I tried to redo the colors, cause i noticed there were tons of unnoticeable useless shades, and lots of pillow shading

Thank You! Smile
(01-13-2013, 06:11 AM)Lexou Duck Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 1NbTR]

[Image: Man8_zpse9611278.png]

Again thanks for the help, I did have too fix certain features though.
Um, I think you shouldn't take his colors edit directly. Perhaps you make your own? It kinda defeats the purpose of learning how to make colors it yourself.
Pages: 1 2