The VG Resource

Full Version: Forte's Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Title.

I'll start this thread out small. So first I'll post some swords that I working on.

[Image: VillanSwords.png]

These swords are for characters that I still have to sprite. I have trouble making armor, so the characters may not be sprited for awhile.

[Image: GiroSword3.png]

[Image: AwakenedGiroDefenseSword1.png]

These swords are for a Giro remake for a game that I'm working on. I want to include wings on my designs, but I can't without then looking like arrows.

I would post some human sprites, but I'm gonna redo them. So, what you guys think?
You need more contrast and less colours. Get rid of colours that are similar to other colours by replacing them with those.

A lot of your pixels, especially on the last sword's handle, look rather randomly placed instead of serving any purpose like defining the shape or giving the object some depth. If your details aren't readable (as in, noone can tell what they are without knowing it), you should rather use less details to maintain good readability.
I'd stick with the light blue background color if I were you.

also I'd lighten up on the outlines if I were you. It would increase the readability if you worked on those for a bit.
keep your background colour what you'd expect to be the background when the sprites are in use, a good fall back colour is anything pale.
I can see some nasty jaggies and readability issues, and as previously mentioned noisy pixel placement.
your colour choices don't work well together and tones within a single colour are lacking contrast and have saturation consistency issues.

I'd say your first and foremost issue is that of shape and jaggies. if you start from there and work your way up (showing us how the sprite progresses) we may be able to pin which mistakes are made earliest / most significantly.
Thanks guys. I never been good at shading and details. I'll keep this stuff in mind.
[Image: WIP-4.png]

One of the sprites that I'm redoing. It's my recreation of Protoman in ZX style. After I get the pose right, then I'll shade it. Something bothers me about this though.
darker outline, lower saturation, the arm with the stick looks like a stick itself and the other arm looks like a long floppy sausage, his head is also very round (make it a smidge taller and broaden the face)
the tops of his legs also look thinner than his knees, I think your biggest issue here is problems with spriting perspective, I've had troubles with this myself but the only solution I found was practice practice practice.
[Image: Help3.png]
I'm trying to get back into spriting humans again, but I'm having trouble. What's a good method for spriting arms and armor?

[Image: UnamedProjectSwordsandCharacters.png]

Some more swords for an unnamed project.
Please use a less eye-burning background color.
A soft gray-blue or gray-green works well.
Better?

[Image: UnamedProjectSwordsandCharacters-1.png]

My apologies
The two biggest issues are these:

1. You're using WAY too many colors.
[Image: colorcount.png]
I tried to count the colors in these first three swords and you're using a -minimum- of seven colors each. I'm not even sure if I got all of them, either.
You're using at least twice the amount of colors that you need on each sprite.

2. You need a whoooole lot more contrast.
There is barely any difference between most of your shades. You have way too many unnecessary in-between shades, and upping your contrast will not only reduce your color count, but also fix the redundant shades issue.
(01-19-2013, 12:21 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]The two biggest issues are these:

1. You're using WAY too many colors.
[Image: colorcount.png]
I tried to count the colors in these first three swords and you're using a -minimum- of seven colors each. I'm not even sure if I got all of them, either.
You're using at least twice the amount of colors that you need on each sprite.

2. You need a whoooole lot more contrast.
There is barely any difference between most of your shades. You have way too many unnecessary in-between shades, and upping your contrast will not only reduce your color count, but also fix the redundant shades issue.

I think I can handle that. Thanks, man.
Hey. Been awhile since I posted here. Anyways, I'm taking requests for characters. I think that getting requests for different characters will help me with different situations of spriting that I may encounter in the future. Provide a ref pic will also be nice if you request.
what about your own version of the ninji from super mario bros. 2?

[Image: Ninji.gif]