The VG Resource

Full Version: Touhou UNL Marisa Kirisame PC98 Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very Complex Recoloring here, in truth this took me a long time to do since I ran into problems such as her eyes turning purple or having to color each pixel of a specific part of her hair, all in all I hope this get's attention and some day people end up liking it enough to get on the TSR so that someone who is a pc98 Marisa fan looks at this like a sweet tooth in a candy factory, anyways tell me what you think of my first recolor, credit to DarkOverlord for the original Marisa sprites ripped and Team Shanghai Alice/ZUN for the original Sprites themselves that he/she ripped them from

[Image: touhou_unl_marisa_kirisame_sprites_pc98_...5qb4uu.png]

p.s. if you like what you see then don't be shy, download it and use it too your hearts contents, you can also find this on deviantART
It's a recolour. That's it. It has no artistic merit of it's own. You even supplied alternative palettes on the bottom of the sheet, which this essentially is. This sheet serves practically no purpose and does nothing to better your skill as a pixel artist.

There you have it, the harsh truth.
For future reference if you are coloring/recoloring on MS paint, right click the color you wish to use so it serves the eraser color. Then left click the color you want to replace, finally using the eraser tool, hold the right mouse button go over the color to replace it. Rinse and repeat for all the colors you want to change.
Saves a lot more time. I do it when I end up not liking the current palette of a drawing.
Finally, you can visit this forumĀ“s gamedev section and find an app that replaces all colors with another in a couple clicks.
(01-03-2013, 05:26 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]It's a recolour. That's it. It has no artistic merit of it's own. You even supplied alternative palettes on the bottom of the sheet, which this essentially is. This sheet serves practically no purpose and does nothing to better your skill as a pixel artist.

There you have it, the harsh truth.

I agree, I just know that there are Touhou 2 fans out there, and also it was supposed to be a recolor of it, also it's not as simple as it looks, many of the colors conflicted with each other making me have to manually go in and paint each pixel, at least people now have a pc98 Marisa, anyways if you want me to do more on the next sheet I'll try, but anyways thank you for your opinion

(01-03-2013, 06:22 PM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: [ -> ]For future reference if you are coloring/recoloring on MS paint, right click the color you wish to use so it serves the eraser color. Then left click the color you want to replace, finally using the eraser tool, hold the right mouse button go over the color to replace it. Rinse and repeat for all the colors you want to change.
Saves a lot more time. I do it when I end up not liking the current palette of a drawing.

I did this trick, the only reason it took longer is because colors like the black around her eye and the brightest part of her hair as well as the magic jar had a lot of the same colors to it, thus making me have to go into each sprite and recolor them manually
Look, I know you want to defend your work because of how long it took you but all the same it's still a recolor. And the only thing you really accomplished is tinkering around with the colors of the sprites. And that's fine if you like working on fighting games and RPGs but to be real with you, palate swaps don't really improve on a lot of your skills in pixel art all that much.

We can't stop you from working on recolors, but regardless of that just don't post them here, Especially if your going to take other sprites and mess with their palates. We just don't care for them here. Maybe if you made your own sprites from scratch and wanted to make other palates for it, fine. But we have zero interest in actually looking at a sprite sheet you took and decided to completely recolor all the sprites.
Well, if you really want to make PC98 Marisa, you have to redraw her sprites completely or at least edit them properly. Recoloring won't work here.
(01-03-2013, 09:42 PM)Mr. Popo Wrote: [ -> ]Look, I know you want to defend your work because of how long it took you but all the same it's still a recolor. And the only thing you really accomplished is tinkering around with the colors of the sprites. And that's fine if you like working on fighting games and RPGs but to be real with you, palate swaps don't really improve on a lot of your skills in pixel art all that much.

We can't stop you from working on recolors, but regardless of that just don't post them here, Especially if your going to take other sprites and mess with their palates. We just don't care for them here. Maybe if you made your own sprites from scratch and wanted to make other palates for it, fine. But we have zero interest in actually looking at a sprite sheet you took and decided to completely recolor all the sprites.

I'm not defending my work, I made these for others to use, and besides, these are customs and EDITS so I have every right to post them here, I care 0% if you guys hate them or love them, I just made them to be used if someone is making a sprite movie or comic and needs a pc98 marisa sprite that looks unl like... seriously I don't care, I'm correcting people when they say it was simple though cause it wasn't

(01-04-2013, 01:40 AM)E253MechaShadow Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you really want to make PC98 Marisa, you have to redraw her sprites completely or at least edit them properly. Recoloring won't work here.

this is where I was told to post when I went to customs/EDITS so unless I'm in the wrong part of stuff then let me know
if you post here you are expected to want to improve your works, posting here for the sake of people using it will never work because people don't come here looking for sprites and the people who are here come to help others with their sprites.
a work can not be custom and edit, with the exception of up-scaling or down-grading graphics, a custom refers to works completely original, edits refer to works built on top of someone elses.

simply put if you post here, post something custom, expect strict constructive criticism.
Mr. Popo: Palate

CrazyFoxx: good luck on being a recolour artisan. Blank
I doubt the theory with the conflicting colours.

Of course, you delete everyhing else (SFX, etc.) before you recolour a sprite.
(01-06-2013, 03:39 PM)1CrazyFoxx1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2013, 09:42 PM)Mr. Popo Wrote: [ -> ]Look, I know you want to defend your work because of how long it took you but all the same it's still a recolor. And the only thing you really accomplished is tinkering around with the colors of the sprites. And that's fine if you like working on fighting games and RPGs but to be real with you, palate swaps don't really improve on a lot of your skills in pixel art all that much.

I'm not defending my work, I made these for others to use, and besides, these are customs and EDITS so I have every right to post them here, I care 0% if you guys hate them or love them, I just made them to be used if someone is making a sprite movie or comic and needs a pc98 marisa sprite that looks unl like... seriously I don't care, I'm correcting people when they say it was simple though cause it wasn't

Woah, Intervention time.

First of all, While you say that you are not defending your work, this quote proves otherwise. And if you truly did not care you wouldn't have responded in the first place. I know, it sucks being in this position but you should actually listen to what people are telling you and wake up. We're not the ones who need correction ether and to be honest with you, get off the throne where you think you are perfect at what you do. You're Not Perfect. I don't want to be harsh here but in this case I really have to be hard on you at this point.

Plus, to add to that hoeloe already told you these hold no purpose here. They're just recolors. These are nether edits or customs. Not to burst you're bubble or anything but these are just recolors.

Just... Recolors.

If you need the definitions of what Customs, Edits, and Recolors are then here. Take your time to find the definitions and read them.

I'm not telling you that these were simple in a sense that they took quite a short time to make. No, To be brutally honest, if you wasted a few hours of your life making these recolors of all of these sprites then you did take a long time. But that's not what I mean. These are simple in the sense that they are nothing impressive. Nothing in the sense where I'd drool over it or find it in the least sense useful. You wasted your time making these to post them here in hopes that someone would use them.

Other people have already said it but we aren't here to kiss ass and praise you as some sort of god for posting these, no. These boards are meant to be used so people who actually do the entire spriting process on their own, right from scratch, to help improve what they can do. That's because this is an art board, not just some showcase. If you felt that you made the right decision here posting them here I'm going to be blunt with you that you made a mistake. If you wanted to show case sprites you recolor go to deviant art, I'm sure some users there will like this.

Lastly, you do have the right to post whatever you want here to an extent. The part you fail to understand are the consequences, mind you that doesn't mean a punishment. You could post some pixel art you made with a man that has a penis for a nose and I would be far more impressed with that, but then the mods would have to put a tag on it for NSFW material and possibly warn you. All I'm saying here is what you post and how you respond to the replies given are heavily reflected upon how we act towards you, and you'll have to accept that no matter where you go.

I don't care if you read this and as of right now are baffled at what I just told you and have to come up with some way to come back at me with whatever you have to argue with me, It won't convince me in any way. I'm just telling you what things are and how they work. This is nothing personal against you and I bear no grudges, I mean that. But again, I am telling you what it is. Personally, I don't like telling others the next thing I'm about to say but if you just can't accept what we are telling you and you're continuing this absurd intent to follow this path. Then you have two options.

Get out now. or stay, deal with it, and learn from you're mistakes.

We aren't here to argue with someone who thinks that what they're doing is great some how, we're a community that wants to help each other to improve on what we do best, and that's art of any form. You aren't anything to us if you can't accept that and you're probably better off on other communities if you feel this way.

That's all that needs to be said, ether way I hope the best of luck to you as a human being and hope that you make the right decision here.
Technically a recolor is editing the sprite to look like a different color, still an edit.

However tSR, as a whole, both website and the community, do not accept minor edits such as recolorings or changing a few minor things.

We accept major edits that change the complete outlook on a sprite.

Sorry but we have no use for your sheet here.
You know, not to derail this in any way and I apologize if it does. But if a recolor isn't that massive of an edit (Like changing the surface anatomy or proportions of a sprite vs recoloring or just making the sprite into something silly like SMW robo-cop mario) then should it really be referred to as an edit?

Yeah I get that it is technically an edit but if it isn't something that big then wouldn't it technically be a re-skin of an already existing sprite? Not massive editing but kind of like an alternate costume in a street fighter game.

EDIT: Not trying to argue that recoloring is editing (Even if it's minor), but I feel that the terminology should be somewhat expanded upon.
Recolor is a type of edit, sure, becuase it changes something from an already made base, but in pixelart sense, recolor is when you simply change the colors and nothing else is changed. A simple palette swap. Most of us use this definition, recolor = the exact same sprite with colors changed and edit = an already made sprite with details changed.

anyway, I agree 100% with Diogalesu here, this is an unimpressive recolor, nothing more. Listen what he and others said to improve, or go to another community where artistical improvement isn't focus.
Pages: 1 2