The VG Resource

Full Version: Rival Turf/Rushing Beat boss sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody.

Thanks to the TSR I've got the majority of Rival turf sprites so I figured I'd give back to the community with rips of my own. I'm in the process of collecting every single sprite for my remake Rushing Beat project using the openBoR engine. Unfortunately I didn't find out about this community until the beginning of this year, and now their headquarters lavalit.com got shut down recently.

Luckily there is enough resourceful people involved so their new home is Chrono Crash but just like any move in real life its annoying and things get lost in the process. For me it was the e-mail addresses I collected from coders who were also passionate about this game. So if your a programmer/coder who is familiar with the OpenBoR engine and wants to hook up with an artist and trade skills for each other's projects? Send me a PM.

In the process of collecting and editing as well as creating sprites for this game. I have the remaining bosses that are not available on this site. I've ripped and cleaned up (big Al) and (Slasher) and (Ice Man)(Captain).

Boxer

[Image: Rj0kn.png][Image: V7lsb.png][Image: 0tBLr.png][Image: iP1x5.png]
[Image: Yx3Ex.png][Image: DUlLF.png][Image: Brfng.png][Image: ARQ3a.png]
Not until this instant have I noticed I forgot to rotate Slasher for his slamming animations.

I also have the alter egos of the existing goon enemy sprites that are already on this site. I'm not exactly sure how to approach this, I want to respect the original rip artist's hard work but I don't want to assume their identity with edited versions. All I did was cut and paste the alternate heads and change the palette configuration. Maxim and ShadeDBZ showed me how to present the layout and I want to give credit where credit is due, should I include both names and presented as a collaborative?

[Image: 1mIvh.png][Image: JcImP.png][Image: hATNh.png][Image: fWZzo.png][Image: bOoAg.png]

you can see some are in different stages of completion mainly Reggie,while Gignate was edited for my own preference so I'll probably let someone else pull his original. I wish I could do this full time, it's so easy to get lost in pixel art.

In my remake I'm going to bring back the nut shot that was edited out in the US version. So I drew new sprites for particular enemies that were douche bags to begin with.

[Image: tOJ2O.gif]
Are these every sprite? It seems to me that these would result in jumpy animations. But I've never played the game, so I can't say for sure.

It looks to me like it could well be, considering the rips already on the site though.

By cleaned up, do you mean that you actually edited the sprites at all, or just removed the background, etc? Because we tend to not like having sprites that have been modified in looks, as it's no longer 1:1 with the original material.

Glad to see these though, I love it when sections of the site get completed! I'm glad we could help you guys out too, I love these sorts of projects! Smile
If you do mean clean the background from them, then do take note that whatever SNES emulator you're using can disable layers and stuff. For example ZSNES disables/enables background layers with the 1-4 keys, and you can disable/enable sprites with the 5 key.
These look great! I need to finish the rest of the enemies from this now that I think about it! Smile
Quote:Are these every sprite? It seems to me that these would result in jumpy animations. But I've never played the game, so I can't say for sure.

It looks to me like it could well be, considering the rips already on the site though.
Yeah, this game is kind of lacking in animations, which I was never very fond of. From what I see though, these are all the animations from those two characters.
(12-20-2012, 03:44 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Are these every sprite? It seems to me that these would result in jumpy animations. But I've never played the game, so I can't say for sure.

By cleaned up, do you mean that you actually edited the sprites at all, or just removed the background, etc? Because we tend to not like having sprites that have been modified in looks, as it's no longer 1:1 with the original material.

Glad to see these though, I love it when sections of the site get completed! I'm glad we could help you guys out too, I love these sorts of projects! Smile

I was surprised myself when I found out that big Al only had two walking animations. But then again the first Jaleco rushing beat game was a shameless knockoff of final fight and would have been forgotten as such except for the fact that it actually had 2 player cooperative action. I think by sacrificing significant frames of animation for their enemy sprites allow them to have enough memory to pull off that function, or because they were on a Japanese deadline, something crazy like a month with a skeleton crew development team. At least that's my speculation.

In compensation for the lack of animations big Al especially ran at twice the frame rate and was a cheap speedy hard-hitting bastard only second to the Captain. The game was extremely difficult but not impossible it was the first game that me and my brother took a year to beat. It almost seems like these bosses were created in order, they diminishing quality and attack patterns the further you get into the game but I still love the original art style. It was a major influence in my art when I was a kid.

Also you guys are going to laugh at me, I'm still fairly new to ripping sprites so when I say cleaning up I mean removing the background from the screenshots I take off ZNES. I was vaguely aware that you could shut down layers using that emulator but I didn't realize it was as simple as toggling the number keys, shit I'll go ahead and rip the final levels probably today. Thanks for the tid-bit, this will move things along a lot faster and easier.

There's no editing or altering of the sprites, I'll submit my customized rights in the correct category.

(12-20-2012, 10:41 AM)ShadeDBZ Wrote: [ -> ]These look great! I need to finish the rest of the enemies from this now that I think about it! Smile
Quote:Are these every sprite? It seems to me that these would result in jumpy animations. But I've never played the game, so I can't say for sure.

Yeah, this game is kind of lacking in animations, which I was never very fond of. From what I see though, these are all the animations from those two characters.

Hey ShadeDBZ! you and Maxim the ones who collected a majority of the sprites for this game that are already on the site. I wanted to thank you for that, because of your hard work I was able to make the altered ego head swaps of all the goons. I can go ahead and submit those as well.
Would you guys consider these good to go up?
I totally would for the first 2 rips; not sure about the others, that's going to be down to what Shade or Maxim thinks.

I'd just like to say, might sound a bit random, but it's new members who come, post topics like this, and act the way they do that makes me remember exactly why I run this site. It might struggle financially at times to keep its head above water, and it might sometimes be a pain in the neck, but people who love games like these and are passionate about them puts a massive smile on my face. And just everything about this guy makes me happy I'm in a position to even warrant their time.
So uh... Thanks.
We love you too, Dazzle. Smile
(12-20-2012, 05:46 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]I totally would for the first 2 rips; not sure about the others, that's going to be down to what Shade or Maxim thinks.

I'd just like to say, might sound a bit random, but it's new members who come, post topics like this, and act the way they do that makes me remember exactly why I run this site. It might struggle financially at times to keep its head above water, and it might sometimes be a pain in the neck, but people who love games like these and are passionate about them puts a massive smile on my face. And just everything about this guy makes me happy I'm in a position to even warrant their time.
So uh... Thanks.

Thanks man, and right back at-cha! Coming from someone who is so code retarded I can't even manage my own gallery web site and rely on other public gallery sites for online portfolios, I appreciate all the hard work and expenditures it takes to run a site like this. Especially after learning how lavalit had to shut down, it's easy to take sites like this for granted.

Also update: the Iceman approaches!
(12-20-2012, 05:46 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]I totally would for the first 2 rips; not sure about the others, that's going to be down to what Shade or Maxim thinks.

Other than the "Dingo" sheet, which I'm pretty sure I included a palette for on the "Warrior" sheet, I have no issues with the other ones. Once again GlassJawBoxer, fantastic job on all of these. People like you encourage me to rip even more! Smile
I have no objections on these sprite sheets, my only suggestion for the future might be, to reduce the size of the signature, but apart from that, everything looks fine to me.
I didn't expect other people to care about the Rushing Beat series at all. Since this is a knock off, i wonder why i played this game actually more than Final Fight. Must be the ball bustin' punches and fighting locations like a driving bus. Anyway, keep up the good work, GlassJawBoxer!
(12-21-2012, 04:43 PM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]I have no objections on these sprite sheets, my only suggestion for the future might be, to reduce the size of the signature, but apart from that, everything looks fine to me.
I didn't expect other people to care about the Rushing Beat series at all. Since this is a knock off, i wonder why i played this game actually more than Final Fight. Must be the ball bustin' punches and fighting locations like a driving bus. Anyway, keep up the good work, GlassJawBoxer!

For me it was the fact that I had a brother and final fight as much as we both love that game and I've played every version and sequel of it imaginable. It did not have 2 player co-op, a decision that boggles my mind today. How could a developer that was hugely successful even back in that day neuter their home version of one of their most successful properties? Only thing I can think of is that since it was one of the a launch titles it pushed the super SNES to its graphical limitations and there wasn't enough memory.

Whatever the secret was Jaleco had it and what started off as a shameless knockoff, ended with one of the greatest side scrolling brawlers in history to date. The coveted peacekeepers! it's on the list of one of the games I'm going to be buried with.

(12-21-2012, 01:41 PM)ShadeDBZ Wrote: [ -> ]

Other than the "Dingo" sheet, which I'm pretty sure I included a palette for on the "Warrior" sheet, I have no issues with the other ones. Once again GlassJawBoxer, fantastic job on all of these. People like you encourage me to rip even more! Smile

Yeah, Dingo didn't even have a different head. The goofiness will always be endearing to me with this game, you got your standard street thugs and gang members. Then you got this 7 foot tall jerk off dress like hes right out of feudal Japan terrorizing the San Francisco streets. XD
Update:

Captain is finished and ready for submission. That's right, one frame attack animation not including his instant kill slam. Think this fat fuck would be slow? Nope, he's the fastest strongest boss there he is. I've never been able to beat him without sacrificing at least three lives. One of the reasons why I love that regular show specially episode rage against the TV is because it is line for line the real-life accounts of me and my brother fighting this king of all assholes. He IS the real life Hammer! And he's not even the final boss.
As of right now, everything in the first post is up!