The VG Resource

Full Version: The Phantom Pain, and why you should be excited for it.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Okay, so this game trailer was released back during the VGAs on Friday, and was noted as a "very special game release". Now, apart from how kickass the trailer looks, a couple of gamer sleuths got to work on cracking some mysteries behind it.

I could bore you with the details, but I'll just cut to the chase. All you need to know is: there's an incredibly high chance that this is actually Metal Gear Solid V.

I'm surprised nobody really made a thread for this yet, so I guess it's time to speculate :V
The screen that actually shows the "The Phantom Pain" title has "METAL GEAR SOLID V" on it, but you have to mess with the color settings to see it.

It's been confirmed.
The guy with the missing arm is some form of Snake and speculation is that there are going to be two different versions of MGS5, kind of like a Red and Blue Version type deal or something.

Ground Zeroes is one, while The Phantom Pain is the other.
I thought Ground Zeroes wasn't MGS5... just Ground Zeroes.
Nobody is 100% sure yet, but what we do know is that The Phantom Pain is definitely MGS5 in some form and that the snake in this video is the same snake from the Ground Zeroes trailer.
If Hideo Kojima can keep his cutscene bullshit to a minimum, this actually looks pretty rad. But splash-screen after splash-screen with cliche'd questions tells me he's gonna continue being stupidly verbose. I'll keep an eye on it.
(12-11-2012, 03:50 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]that the snake in this video is the same snake from the Ground Zeroes trailer.

This part, not really, since this is the first time ever we ever hear of Big Boss losing his left arm. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
The Metal Gear series is all just an extended feverish nightmare of a man in a coma.

In seriousness, it looks interesting, but it's much too vague to raise my own hype meter.
(12-11-2012, 11:57 AM)Mutskeeter Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2012, 03:50 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]that the snake in this video is the same snake from the Ground Zeroes trailer.

This part, not really, since this is the first time ever we ever hear of Big Boss losing his left arm. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

[Image: jQV8v.jpg]
Probably just me hoping for the best, but uh... Is that Psycho Mantis at the very last fucking second?
(12-11-2012, 03:14 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2012, 11:57 AM)Mutskeeter Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: jQV8v.jpg]

I saw that :I

My point still stands, that's not -enough- conclusive evidence. Not saying it isn't, it might as well just probably be, but there's still the whole weird "losing his arm" factor there.
Before I knew it was speculated to be Metal Gear Solid, I was too busy laughing at the wretched pacing, audio, and its attempts to be mysterious, asking questions to something that couldn't make me feel invested in the first place. When I found out it was Kojima, I felt pretty bad though. The way it was directed pretty much screams Kojima.

It feels like there's no reason to actually look forward to either Ground Zeroes or this beyond gawking at Fox Engine or as of yet ill-defined premises. I hope I get to blast Wagner in this game too, while limping across a hall of course.
I'm guessing this is between Metal Gear (after Big Boss gets blown to shit) and before he's "rebuilt" for Metal Gear 2. (Yes I'm assuming it's Big Boss as Solid being young again and having his arm blown off just makes no sense).

Not sure how it fits in with Ground Zeroes mind...

(Also holy crap so many Metal Gear games in the future!)
I genuinely think Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain is the same game.

I also think it's gonna be like MGS2. First part your playing as Big Boss, second part your playing as Solid Snake... Metal Gear remake!