The VG Resource

Full Version: DynoWarz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dynowarz: Destruction of Spondylus

Fun game in my opinion. Brings back memories. Had some really cheap tricks to it, like mines that would knock you backwards, set right on the edge of pits where you would land if you jumped over them while allowing yourself a margin for error. Not a common game that I know of though. I ran into it once, and bought it on the spot, haven't seen it again since. Not even on this site.

[Image: rh7ryx.jpg]

Anyway, first time poster here, and I wanted to submit an evenings work, which is basically what I hope is every animated sprite in a game not covered on this site: Dynowarz..

I'm not SURE it's every frame of animation for everything though, and I'd like someone to look it over, see if I missed anything, give constructive feedback, that sort of thing. The sheet may need some organizing, dividing out player character sprites from the enemies. I only have one color for each enemy, the game uses a lot of palette swaps to keep the enemy colors interesting, and I didn't bother to get every color, instead just trying for the animation frames.

Oh, and it's on a black background because that's how the game is. Everything has a black background, and no sprite has black in it that I know of. Should your sprite pass in front of a colored background(platforms, and some backgrounds have stars), the sections of the sprite that look like they should be black(eyes, outline, etc) turn out to be transparent. I figured leaving the background black would be easiest, letting you view them in their "natural environment" so to speak.

I still need to make the icons and such, but honestly I'm not sure how often I'm going to be able to work on this, so besides looking for feedback on how to organize, uploading as is might be the best way to cover this little game. Unless someone else has heard of it and is working on it(a quick search of the forums turned up nothing, but my google-fu is weak and I may have missed something).

So, if I can't get back here, then I've at least given something to upload, and if I can, I'll make it prettier and better in meeting with the standards of this site.
Hmm, what would I label this as? it seems to have a lot of everything on it.
Well, in other sheets like this, you labeled it either as the games name, or as "Everything". Since that's what it should be.

Minus palette swaps and possibly something I overlooked, but I don't think I overlooked anything. It should have all enemies(both minor and boss), all playable characters, all powerups, all animated platforms, all effects, and even has the cut scenes.

It's not a big game honestly.
Hmm, would you mind grabbing the palette swaps so we know we have it all?
I think that the first boss is missing
(12-06-2012, 03:10 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, would you mind grabbing the palette swaps so we know we have it all?

Alright, I'm on it. Might take me awhile. Limited free time to work on this and all that.

Here is every Robosaur encountered from world 1 in order that they are encountered in. For the times multiple Robosaur swarm you, the one that appears nearest the player is shown highest, thus the 'boss' is on the bottom. This does not include the additional obstacles such as the mines and artillery bases, nor the bullets they shoot at you. And obviously, none of the powerups and nothing from the two indoors scenes(most stages only have one, first world has two) or the final screen(none of which have robosaurs). Just the Robosaurs palette swap as far as I can tell.

[Image: e9f529.png]

Personally, it seems to be a bit redundant(some of the little enemies repeat multiple times, as shown on the sheet) and encouraging of blank space(obviously the boss is bigger than the minor enemies and I simply listed them in descending order as best I could without putting them on some kind of grid), but I suppose if I'm going to say I've got everything, I'd better make it EVERYTHING, right?

(12-06-2012, 11:51 PM)T0misaurus Wrote: [ -> ]I think that the first boss is missing

Hmmm, nope. His tiles are on there. Palette not so much(fixed with the World 1 Enemies sheet), but since you mentioned it I checked, and the tiles are there. Unless there's regional differences in the game I don't know about, since I only have my one copy of it. Thanks anyway, glad someone's watching out for me.

I did however find more things to add to the "Everything" sheet. I'm not sure if they count as sprites or background to be honest, they seem more like background, but after I finish Tonberry's suggestion I'll update the "Everything". I suppose I could rip the background VGmaps style too... Not sure how this site handles that, though I think I've seen some of them.
Here is every Robosaur encountered from world 2 in order that they are encountered in, highest first, end 'boss' last. This does not include the additional obstacles such as the mines and artillery bases, nor the bullets they shoot at you, all of which are on the "Everything" sheet. "Everything" will be updated to be better organized once I've finished Tonberry's suggestion.

[Image: dpbw1s.jpg]

Also, the game includes a sprite viewer on the title screen(if you input the right password), and while the player character sprite on the left side remains the same, the right side seems to have a unique palette. So it was easy enough to collect it as well.

[Image: 4s1zcl.png]

*********************EDIT

Busy busy... wish I could devote more time to this, get it done quicker, particularly since at times it feels like make work, with the tiles and palette just repeating through most of it. And then, of course, I find something interesting, like stage 3-C(I don't know how the stages are officially divided, but "World Three" the section with the boss) which only has two Robosaurs, one of which you haven't seen prior in the game(though I have it up there on the "Everything" sheet from my first play through) and one that has a slightly different palette, a more neon green rather than the forest green most everything else is.

So, I'm exploring new things in a game I thought I'd explored everything in. That's neat.

World 3, same disclaimers as previous.

[Image: 242v3vk.png]

I figured I'd edit this rather than double posting again. Four worlds left to go to reach all seven.

I'm wondering if I should make some kind of spread sheet or something... These robosaur, appear in these levels, and use these palettes, sorta thing. Any thoughts?
Okay, I'm still compiling the numerous screenshots for all sprites from levels 6 and 7, but since I have the screenshots, I got the palettes and so here's the updated "Everything" including the palettes down on the bottom.

Oh, and I found out that... in theory... the interior enemies do palette swap. It only happens once, when they're at the edge of the screen, and vanish quickly afterwards(leaving the edge of the screen and not coming back), so it could be just a glitch, but I included them as well anyway.

Plus some stuff that's probably "background" rather than "sprite" but was interesting enough that I added it anyway.

[Image: 5byy49.jpg]
[Image: 33w43kg.png]
[Image: 2j48shd.png]
Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself, but here's some quick icons as well.
I'll edit this for ST 4-7 when I can. 4 and 5 just need to be uploaded. And while they still feel like busy work, I noticed that there were two variants I'd missed(only a few tiles of the sprite changed, to make slightly different reflections), so good thing you had me going through them!
Are we good now?
What about the level tiles like that ice in the game icon?
(12-19-2012, 11:42 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Are we good now?

I think so... sorry I still haven't gotten the ST 4-7 uploaded. With the holiday rush I haven't even gotten them all done yet. They're just sitting on my drive in screencap form awaiting. But they are a lot of duplicates that are on that "everything" sheet already. Which was the original point of the "Everything", to do all the sprite tiles, ignoring background and palette swaps. Thanks to helpful critizism it expanded from that, as well as helping me notice a few points I hadn't before.

I may have missed something of course. I'm not perfect, as this exercise has already shown. I readily admit that and appreciate it when others can find my mistakes.

(12-19-2012, 12:16 PM)Mighty Jetaku Wrote: [ -> ]What about the level tiles like that ice in the game icon?

I was thinking backgrounds were not a main thrust of this site, and could be put off until later, though I could work to do the backgrounds as well. The "Everything" already has some background material I believe, as I haven't actually looked at the code to see what everything is coded as, but I believe the doors are in fact considered background, but they looked unique enough to include, appearing only once.

Including background, even just the titles, would noticably increase the size of the "Everything" sheet. The game has rather good and extensive backgrounds considering it's relatively primative sprites. I think it best to do the backgrounds seperately. Since the main thrust of the site is sprites, not backgrounds, I didn't think that "Everything" needed to include backgrounds. Should I rework?
Well if you can find a way to tile the backgrounds then we would love to have them too.
Also, the main goal of the site is to obtain any kind of 2D graphics, be it sprites, backgrounds, even fonts are good.
bumping, as the ice tiles and whatever else is missing needs to be added.
I would like to apologize for not getting this finished sooner. Family concerns arose and I have had limited time for sprite work for the last few months.

Also, I'd like to thank you for the bump and keeping this thread active.

First of all, a slight reorganizing, since the "everything" sheet is inexact, including some tiles that are, I guess, background(though UNIQUE background, still background). Those are now on the backgrounds.

[Image: faou4m.png]

[Image: 6eq6c6.png]

[Image: 2v0ga2q.png]

[Image: erz7tk.png]

[Image: bipb9j.png]

[Image: 2l9ocva.png]

[Image: 1zzl3xh.png]

[Image: 2mrhah4.png]

Now, here I'd like to point out here that these background have also been sent to VGmaps.com and submitted as such(minus of course the Spriters Resource logos). On submission to them I mentioned that the backgrounds would be used here as well as there.

Also, the interiors are locked to one room, while the exteriors sidescroll up to a point, and then fade to the next like the room changes on the interior. That meant that I divided out the exterior levels into a b and c, with the interior being lumped together as d except for the first one which is the prologue(for as much as this game actually has a story.
There we go. That should be everything in the game. Unless you want the music and sound effects. The music, by the way, is all up on VGmusic.com already.
ahhhh welcome back! glad to see you again. Big Grin
it's okay, I just wanted to be sure you saw it, heheh.
also, great re-organization! but why are there two ST1a icons? shouldn't the second one be ST1b?
Pages: 1 2