The VG Resource

Full Version: So is the Vita dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's no secret I loved the PSP. Syphon Filter, Megaman, God of War, the Konami shmup collections, Jeanne D’Arc, Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf to most of you) and the series I spent far far too much time on...

Monster Hunter.

The PSP didn't sell amazingly, no one really sees it as a big success and it never came close to taking anything away from Nintendo. Monster Hunter pretty much made the PSP in Japan. Even if no other game was made for it Capcom could have probably carried that system on those games alone. Else where... well, not so much... at all.

The Vita has no Monster Hunter. This is bad news for Japan (and me - though Portable 3rd kinda sucked anyway...).

But well, the system has HUGE problems in the west. It's no secret that the FPS genre is the most popular and Resistance sucked on it. It was probably the most important game on the system, it was to show what a FPS could be on the Vita and attract a fair share of the market (well at least turn some heads away from the big screens).

So then CoD was pushed. But well, for some reason it was being made by the same people who made the Vita's Resistance. The same people who had already made a crap FPS. And... it was crap! Who'd seen that coming?

Gravity Rush wasn't the must-buy game it was hyped to be, no big RPG exists on it, it's failed twice on big names to have a good FPS and as Christmas approaches I still can't justify why someone should buy one.

Sure Soul Sacrifice is looking cool but I fear it's too late now. After a nice set of launch titles first party releases just seem to have died (minues All-Stars, which is on the PS3 as well).

The fact that the Vita has been out-sold by the PSP on occasions doesn't fill me with confidence ever. The Vita is a damn good device (minus the crap dashboard) but like the PSP (even more so) the question of "Where are the games?" is just ever present.

So, I ask - is the Vita dead? Will it even surpass the PSP in sales? Does anyone even care about it?
It's a fine piece of hardware, but as you said, it definitely lacks in software. Sony could still get it to run, but they'd have to do some efforts to get a bunch of good games. Not just PS3 ports (Ratchet and Clank...), but also a few good exclusives. At least they finally got PS+ on the system (though I'm not using that).
I literally only have two games for my PSP (I guess you could count the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters disc that came bundled with my PSP as an extra game, but yeah). I haven't seen any others that interest me and from what I suspect, the library isn't that huge. I kinda hate how the PSP didn't do extremely well because I read about plans for a series of Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X games for X1~X6 but it didn't do well enough. >:I
If they had done the X series redone from X1-X6 I would have TOTALLY bought a PSP. There's really only a handful of games I would have bought for the system, and at this point I barely have interest in those games anymore, so...

As for the Vita, barely any interest at all.
(12-02-2012, 11:33 AM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]If they had done the X series redone from X1-X6 I would have TOTALLY bought a PSP. There's really only a handful of games I would have bought for the system, and at this point I barely have interest in those games anymore, so...

One last slightly off-topic note: especially since the bosses in X5 didn't seem to have voices, in either the English or Japanese versions. Cry
Sony doesn't have killer apps.
It thought it did,
but it didn't.
Uncharted didn't work, Resistance didn't work, LittleBigPlanet didn't work.
It ends up with Sly, Killzone and Ratchet/Clank to build hype,
but what are the odds of Sly, having the same game on PS3, or Ratchet/Clank, which has decreased in sales each game with the sheer amount of them and is also on PS3? Killzone or Infamous, maybe, but they'd be unnecessary spin-offs.

Along with Black Ops and Assassin's only selling with the fact they were a better value with the bundles they had.

It's not the 3DS which can pull a Zelda or Pokemon out of it's ass.

It's also expensive. Games don't seem to drop below 35 bucks and memory cards are more expensive than anything, with the cheapest being only a measly 4 gigs.
(12-02-2012, 09:54 AM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]no big RPG exists on it

Persona 4 Golden is a lot of people's "reason to buy a Vita", because, despite it being a remake of a PS2 game, it changes enough for it to basically be considered its own game. Not sure if that counts as what you mean as a "big RPG" though.

It's kind of upsetting because it and Soul Sacrifice look like awesome games but nothing else about the Vita is interesting enough to make it worth it to me.
I feel like these new handhelds aren't really getting the treatment they deserve, the 3DS included. Sure both are attractive to look at, and interesting pieces of hardware but there really isn't anything to play on them. However Nintendo's big titles are finally starting to release (most recently, Paper Mario), while Sony seems to be struggling to do so.
P4G isn't out here yet (plus it's only one).

I think Tearaway may be nice but other than that I don't see much interesting on the horizon.
"But Previous, if you don't like the games, why did you buy a Vita" - "Uhm"
I like buying new electronic stuff! I have a 3DS and only three games for it. I have a PS Vita and two games. LittleBigPlaned Playstation Vita (who thought of that title?`Was the "Playstation" part necessary? Are you kidding me?) and All-Stars Battle Royale with Cheese. The latter isn't too bad? It's somewhat like Smash Bros. and at some points it doesn't even make any effort to hide that it's inspired by Nintendo's fighting game. A bunch of things could be better and obviously, I can't relate to any of the characters, but it's quite fun. I haven't tried the online multiplayer yet, though.
I'm guessing dev time and money are pricier on Vita otherwise there'd be more to look forward to.

Proton has the right of it.

No killer apps that make people buy the system, and with everyone and their brother just waiting for the Vita get cracked Sony's only drive is to keep the hackers at bay. Which is sad, because the Vita has the power to beat the 3DS. I dunno what Capcom was doing when it threw out Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X. Then again they are the same people who promised Megaman Legends 3 released a demo then cancelled the game. Which deterred me further from buying a 3DS out of spite.

My point: Vita isn't dead it's just in a coma, who knows when it'll wake up or if it ever will. Though to be fair the PS3 started off slow and now there's plenty of games for it but I don't want to Vita to be a mobile PS3 I want games that I can't get on any other platform.
I really thought the Vita would be a viable console, but the fact is, I'm finding myself having less and less time or interest playing games. That's not to say I don't like them, but I'd prefer to have a device that can do more than just play games. The should offer support for Android applications outside of PlayStation Mobile, so you can do more with the console than just play games occasionally, but actually use it for other things.

The PSV has some really amazing stuff available for it right now, but Sony needs to market it less as a gaming console but more like a gaming console and tablet killer. If they did this, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
in the very end its a matter that relies purely on branding. nintendo call pull a terrible game like NSMB2 or a lazy remake of OOT and sell 3DS purely for them being "mario" or "zelda".

Sony barely has any killer brands or IPs on their system that would really make someone get hyped to buy a handheld, let alone keep it and keep buying software for it.
"Lazy remake of OoT"
What? That was hardly a lazy remake.
No, it was a lazy port Nerd

Locoroco anyone? I think the Vita should get one. Patapon, too, with back-touch controls.
Back touch controls make me orgasm, and I don't know why.

jsyk
Pages: 1 2