The VG Resource

Full Version: A Look Into Side-Scrolling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently came across an email from Nintendo. In the email, I saw an upcoming title for the Wii, Wario Land: Shake It! So I saw the trailer, or at least the gameplay video of it, and I was impressed.

They took the classic 2D elements of a classic side-scrolling game and took in a live cartoon/anime look. It seemed like you were watching and playing a cartoon simultaneously. It was amazing.

So, this got me thinking: Why don't they do this a little bit more with some side-scroller games. I'm not talking about the pixelated cartoon sprites, I'm talking about real fresh, crisp animations, characters, and backgrounds for games.

So, tell me what your views are on this: should a little more side scrolling games have this look for the games or should they be in 3D? This can be for the major consoles like X-box 360, PS3, etc., by the way.

Click here to view if you like.
(Just omit the fact you have to shake a bag before you see the video... Sorry.)
It's already being done in other games though, right? Look at Braid, for the XBox360.
Wario looks way too fat
I think 2D side scollers ain't gettin' the love they used to.
I mean sure, everyone thinks that good games only come in 3D, but look at the overly used example of Super Mario.
That guy's like... the pinacle of 2D side scrolling.
Point in fact is, 2D and 3D need to learn to co-exisit.
One shouldn't trump the other, because they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
2D sidescrolling is harder to find on CONSOLES maybe, but it is most definitely nowhere near dead. as long as computers continue to exist, there will always be people who will create 2D sidescrollers.
Wario Land Shake It has the potential to be GOTY. Then we look at past Wario outings like Wario World, and realize it's gonna be really easy and short.

Mother fuckers.
i think you meant to say "Then we look to see it's being made by Nintendo, and realize it's gonna be really easy and short."
(09-15-2008, 09:44 AM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: [ -> ]Wario Land Shake It has the potential to be GOTY. Then we look at past Wario outings like Wario World, and realize it's gonna be really easy and short.

Mother fuckers.

I've been hearing some very average reviews. It's a return to the previous Wario Lands, but it doesn't meet up to the same gameplay standard.

I'll still buy it, tho'.
I don't think it matters if polygons or whatever is used as long as it suits the game. Bionic Commando Re-Armed for example looks good hot it is and couldn't imagine it not using polygons. A Megaman game in the cartoony look though would probably work.

It all depends on the game and what style best suits it. I think with any 2D game though art style has become a big thing such as with Braid, PixelJunk Eden and LocoRoco etc. all having distinct styles.
(09-15-2008, 08:44 PM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on the game and what style best suits it. I think with any 2D game though art style has become a big thing such as with Braid, PixelJunk Eden and LocoRoco etc. all having distinct styles.

*gasp!* PixelJunk Eddn is the most beautifully crafted game I've come across on. It's pure art.

Simply amazing.