The VG Resource

Full Version: The Art Lounge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey art nerds!

I'm drawing my 3DS from various perspectives for the final project in my drawing class (I'm going to arrange it so that there are DS's seen from different perspectives inside the screens of other DS's), but when I draw slanted surfaces (the top flap) it doesn't look...right.

I've tried to demonstrate the problem on my computer:
[Image: YCi5f.png]
The angle looks off.
I think it looks a lot better when the system is drawn at about eye level though:
[Image: fMuS3.png]
So my question is, am I doing this wrong?
It just occurred to me that maybe if I placed the vanishing point way lower, then it might look better. Would that work?

It's just a quick question that probably doesn't need its own topic, but we don't really have an art lounge.
(11-30-2012, 09:40 PM)Phantom K Wrote: [ -> ]It's just a quick question that probably doesn't need its own topic, but we don't really have an art lounge.

This has officially been rectified.
This thread is now the Art Lounge, where everyone can discuss, ask questions, and even post helpful tutorials about art.
Keep it friendly and civil in here, and have fun~
It seems like you have it right.
The eye level view looks much more interesting by the way. Also, I'd go with the red one for the top. It may look strange, but maybe once you add the screen it'll look more natural?
perspective, even with 3 points, is still just forcing a 3d space into 2d. Plus, I'd say those 3 points are possibly too close. It's always gonna look a bit odd.
Yeah, I've noticed that you often have to put the vanishing points stupidly far away to get a believable image. I have pieces of paper taped onto my assignment right now with the vanishing points on them.
For working out perspective there's always the quick cheat you can pull.
(Which I totally never ever use myself, nope, definitely not)

If you've got access to a computer, you can just use a 3D modelling program to make a rough mock-up to use as a guide, Google sketchup is a really easy (and cheap as free) way to throw together a quick reference.

Obviously it's better to not have to rely on a crutch like that, but it's handy for being able to see where you're going wrong, and in a pinch it can speed things up even if it isn't ideal.
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this(since it is pretty much a form of art, I had to write the dialogue for this haha)but I saw this "Art Lounge" and I thought it'd be suitable for it.
so uhh
here we gooo

Okay guys, I think I could use some help.

So with my birthday coming up in the near future, I've decided to get myself a graphics tablet
however, when I started searching on the interwebs, I got kinda overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that is available.

That's why I'm asking you guys for recommendations, since I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for.
If it helps, I'm planning to use it for basic stuff, like sketching out some ideas or doing some simple coloring work, so I probably don't need a super expensive one.
Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch is what I use and fits me fine. Cheap and good.
(03-12-2013, 11:22 AM)Vic Wrote: [ -> ]Okay guys, I think I could use some help.

So with my birthday coming up in the near future, I've decided to get myself a graphics tablet
however, when I started searching on the interwebs, I got kinda overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that is available.

That's why I'm asking you guys for recommendations, since I'm not entirely sure what I should be aiming for.
If it helps, I'm planning to use it for basic stuff, like sketching out some ideas or doing some simple coloring work, so I probably don't need a super expensive one.

This guy reviews a lot of tablets and according to him, Monoprice tablets are really, really good, (better than Wacom apparently) and really cheap. I own a Wacom Bamboo Pen that works fine, but then again I barely did any research.
Oh yeah, Frenden, should've known he does that kinda stuff.

Guess I have to look a bit further into it, but I'll either get a Bamboo Pen (I'm not so keen on the whole touch nonesense) or that Monoprice one (which are apparently rebranded as Speedlink Arcus' here in Europe)

many thanks so far :)
I can speak for the quality for of Monoprice, too. Sure they don't look as fancy and shiny (if you buy Wacom for it being shiny well you're kind of a doucher, anyway) but hell if they don't work like a charm. The only thing that feels cheaply made is the tablet's pen with the way that it's battery chamber is made (which Frenden mentions as well). I got the 10x6.25 one, by the way.
Getting one in April, I went to the website, and found one that's just what I need and at such a good price.
(03-12-2013, 06:06 PM)Vic Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, Frenden, should've known he does that kinda stuff.

Guess I have to look a bit further into it, but I'll either get a Bamboo Pen (I'm not so keen on the whole touch nonesense) or that Monoprice one (which are apparently rebranded as Speedlink Arcus' here in Europe)

many thanks so far Smile

Oh, the advantage of the Pen and Touch isn't the Touch nonsense, it's that it has 4 customizable buttons to the side.
Pages: 1 2