The VG Resource

Full Version: First Sprites need constructive criticism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is my first attempt at making sprites. I would like to get some constructive criticism, especially on how to improve them!

Concept template:
[Image: aangepast.png]

One version i'm currently working out:

[Image: Idle_w.png]
they're too blurred and unreadable for pixelart (there is a difference between sprites and pixelart, so I'll respect that). I'd like to know what program did you use to make this.
(11-27-2012, 05:34 AM)Tae Kwon Doug Wrote: [ -> ]they're too blurred and unreadable for pixelart (there is a difference between sprites and pixelart, so I'll respect that). I'd like to know what program did you use to make this.

CS Photoshop
Well, for usual sprites and pixelart, we use MS Paint. It's more than enough to place pixels, so I'd reccomend it.

Talking in a pixelart sense, this has too many colors (generated by program algorythms instead of manually thought and placed), lack of sharpness (too blurred) and contrast. I'd suggest to work in a way similar to this:

[Image: YUNBf.png]

Basically, draw the pixels by yourself, with a good contrasting color ramp and sharp shapes and lines, for a more pleasant graphic set. Of course, your style and feel is much different from the example above, but sharp, readable graphics are good no matter the feel you're trying to achieve.

If you don't wish to do pixelart, you still need to clean it up and increase contrast anyway so please work on it.
I'll try to reduce the blur and add some more contrast. I kind of prefer Photoshop over ms paint because you have layers and other tools. If necessary you can always change from brush to pencil to draw 1 pixel sized elements.
Yes, but pixelart is a medium that desn't rely on said effects. With non-blurring tools, you have more control over your palette and therefore, a more cohesive piece.

Of course, Photoshop can do blur-less graphics, and layering is a nice touch, but it's not necessary. I'm eager to see what you'll bring us, though.
(11-27-2012, 06:56 AM)Aniketos Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try to reduce the blur and add some more contrast. I kind of prefer Photoshop over ms paint because you have layers and other tools. If necessary you can always change from brush to pencil to draw 1 pixel sized elements.

When drawing pixel art, you should never use anything other than the pencil and fill tools. If you use a brush, it produces anti-aliasing automatically, which makes things look blurry, and uses far too many colours. If you're trying to draw pixel art and you're not using the pencil, you're doing it wrong. I understand why you would want to use Photoshop (I use it myself), but use the pencil tool.
Finally, pixelart is indeed hard for those limitations (being able to use only pencil/fill tool), but that's what gives it its charms. So don't be discouraged by it.
There are a few other programs that have layers (I use Paint Shop Pro because it's really comfortable and simple, but that's me), like GIMP and Paint.NET I think. I'm not sure if GraphicsGale has layers, but is a great spriting program from what I hear that lets you see your sprites animate while you work on them.
these are edits from the prerendered sprites used in Fallout 2.
then there's nothing much to say other than avoiding edits because they aren't worthy to show here. Prefer doing customs instead, you'll improve more if you do so. Edits can be interesting to test out new styles or stuff but keep them to yourself and prefer doing them by yourself if you need to. We are here to guide you, so don't be afraid of trying.
It's good for a picture but too blurry for a regular sprite. Note the word "regular"! If you think back to games like diablo, you'll get the same sprites. They're blurry and barely readable BUT they were made different than photoshop or paint.
Anyway, if you work with layers you might try GraphicsGale. You have 2 types of layers there:
- normal layers
- animation layers

Some things are bit complicated at the first, but you'll get the hang of it. If you have some troubles, just PM me and I'll help.

Otherwise like everybody has said, use MS Paint for basic spriting Smile.