The VG Resource

Full Version: Typical Mario Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Typical Mario Game (a.k.a. Hello Clone) is a typical Hello SMB Engine game made with Game Maker 8.0! Tongue
[Image: msc769.jpg]

Final beta 0.3 download! (With 2 preloaded DLCs!)
Download Zip (25.3 MB)

Add this [NEW] support banner to your sig if you like:
[Image: 34zf4np.jpg]
Code:
[rel=/community/showthread.php?tid=21866][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34zf4np.jpg[/IMG][/rel]

Hey! Don't forget you can build your own DLC if you have experience with GML!
Well it sure is what it is.

Did you actually do any of the programming yourself or did you just use Hello's engine entirely?
Uhm yeah uhm

I changed the links to lead to this topic instead of someplace else >:)

Besides that, I don't know if there's anything to say about this, besides the usual stuff that has been said about such games so often before.
Woo you can make a Mario engine

well uh

sorry but I'm p. sure there's way too many of those out there.

Not to be rude, but I think you should make something other than Mario. It's been done thousands of times, and everyone here knows it. I think making something with your own intellectual property would work better (I.E. an original game with original characters and original story) for you. Also people here would give it more good crits instead of just saying what I've already said (which I think is good criticism, but that's really all that can be said about Mario Engine 10294935).
I used Hello's SMB engine and heavily modified it. Beside the basic Mario elements, all of the new stuffs I added to the engine is custom made by myself.
What is the "new stuffs"? You do realize that your topic here presents it as just another bland, boring mario fan game without giving any information about what may possibly make it different and that screenshot of a 0815 mario level doesn't present it any better. The meme-overuse support banner doesn't earn it any points either. No really, I'll be honest here, nothing of what you showed makes me want to download the game to see what it's got in store.
Whoa, not trying to judge a book by its cover. Wait you made some progress in the game. Judging a game by the cover will NOT get you anywhere for critism. Besides, I did the bland taste on purpose for a deceiving game.
The thing is
judging a game "by its cover" is what humans do, and you should always be prepared for that.
Your game might even be amazing (for what it is, anyways), but if you advertise yourself as being plain and boring, people will probably believe that and choose to spend their time playing something they KNOW will actually be fun, rather than risk playing something that probably is exactly what you sold it as.
Okay, since people do judge like that. Then I'll drop more stuffs:
[Image: 9a8h38.jpg]
[Image: 2n7e2l4.jpg]
[Image: 2z7js6c.jpg]

Edit: sorry for me being so harsh Previous.
An unfitting city, a generic underwater level, poop goombas, and poop bombs/clocks/i dunno.

Yes, that totally makes me want to play your game.
The "poop" just seems childish and stupid; but the car one I admit looks like a neat twist. Well..if the cars are moving and stuff; that is. Water level is generic; and everyone's least favorite anyways.
Another screenshot:
[Image: 17101.jpg]

Videos:

go d that was awfully tedious to watch. i dont know what was worse, the usage of memes or the plain, boring gimmicks that grew old ten seconds into the stage.

whoever made this better not be older than 16 otherwise you REALLY need to get your sense of humor checked.
(11-12-2012, 01:42 AM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: [ -> ]go d that was awfully tedious to watch. i dont know what was worse, the usage of memes or the plain, boring gimmicks that grew old ten seconds into the stage.

whoever made this better not be older than 16 otherwise you REALLY need to get your sense of humor checked.
I don't understand. Why does people here think this is very childish? While other places, people like this kind of humor. And yet, since I'm new to this forum. I need to understand the main situation over Mario fangames and internet memes.
(11-12-2012, 01:42 AM)Cobalt Blue Wrote: [ -> ]go d that was awfully tedious to watch. i dont know what was worse, the usage of memes or the plain, boring gimmicks that grew old ten seconds into the stage.

We've already stated what was wrong with his game, but in an uh, helpful and less belittling manner. I don't think the added negativity was needed.
Pages: 1 2