The VG Resource

Full Version: more important than the president/sandy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wow. That's pretty crazy. Of course, it really doesn't affect me as most everyone I know aside from one or two people use Skype now, even if they used to use Messenger.

So I'm assuming the foundation of it will be gone, right? Third party clients like Pidgin or Trillian won't be able to connect anymore?
I'm fucked
In a sense, there goes the neighborhood. How will I keep up with buddies when this happens in 2013? goddangit chinese, always gettin' dat leeway..
Good riddance.
MSN was always inferior to AIM but nobody outside of the US used it so I was forced to get an MSN account just to get in concact with them.

Skype is good for group conversations but the client is so bloated and slow and awful.
I wish somebody cracks the protocol one day so we can have a 3rd party client that doesn't suck.
My only problem is that one or two friends use MSN but they will probably switch to something else.
See, MSN integrates well into Miranda (Pidgin, Trillian, younameit), Skype... Skype is skype. I don't like the skype user interface at all, the thing is unnecessarily huge and almost obnoxious. Skype requires me to set one more status to away when I leave the PC, everything else is grouped in Miranda which I use for ICQ anyways (got some contact there that text me almost regularly (asking for help on coursework ;-)) and I do have an MSN contact or two I don't have on Skype.
Oh well. It's not like I really chat a lot, so I probably should just accept ot :P
its ok I didn't intend to chat for the rest of my life anyway

skype is good, I guess, but I can't use it regularly as I do with WLM. Most of my contacts are also there and since skype is more oriented to group chats (which I don't like that much), I guess I'll have trouble from now on.

Well, it's a change of habit, I think.
I use Skype anyway. By the time they shutndown msn i bet they'll convert all msn accounts to skype so you don't have to rebuild your contact list.
Skype is still pretty easy to use for individual chats, but, yeah I still prefer AIM.
I used to use Windows Live Messenger the whole time but I haven't opened my account on it for probably a year, so I don't really care. To be honest I chat more on Steam than anywhere else, apart from that I sometimes go on an IRC channel and I occasionally see people in GMail chat.
My parents will probably be pretty confused/annoyed for a while, I mean they don't really talk to people on WLM often but they are signed in a lot.

This might give me a reason to get a Skype account now though. Not that I need one right now, but I've been meaning to get one eventually so this is kind of giving an extra incentive.
I just thought of one upside
Maybe then people will finally start adding Skype to the default input options on profile pages (as seen on forums). It's always seemed weird to me not seeing it next to AIM, ICQ, Y!M and MSN.
I had always used WLM 8.5 and this change really saddens me. On the plus side, Microsoft is killing one of the few dependencies I have left on Windows, which shall make the ultimate transition to Lunix easier. Too bad Skype on Linux is a PoS and 5.5 won't even display the login page properly on WINE. Perhaps soon/maybe that commercial WINE fork will have better results '_;

(11-06-2012, 08:58 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]MSN was always inferior to AIM
That was an excellent joke.
For a long time I only used skype because my laptop had trouble handling skype and other chat programs at the same time. I guess I won't have to bother with MSN on my new one. Maybe AIM, but I don't really talk to anyone 1-on-1 except vipershark anyway, so idk if I'll feel like going through the trouble.
So wait...

... people use Skype mainly for group chats? Maaaan, I don't even know about internet instant messaging anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3