The VG Resource

Full Version: Masquemon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UPDATES

3/26/13: [Image: 4ZzCk7g.png]

11/20/12: [Image: 99plh.png]

Jetters said it and the name stuck.

[Image: qKnLi.gif] [Image: tnZdA.gif]

Thunny -> Bundam, and there's a third evo I haven't sprited.

I told myself I would try to be more active on TSR after I finished Bundam and he just sat in graphicsgale for 2 weeks with half-done lineart, but here I am now.

I'm kinda worried about Bundam's design, especially the markings, not being Pokemon-y enough, though I really love the color combination and marking designs are they are, so idk.

Also worried a bit about lightsource stuff on the (our) right ear.]

Thunny... idk what I'm doing with Thunny. I finished him a while back and then took so long on Bundam that I forgot what the hell my issue was in the first place.

Anyways. Comments? Critique?
Thunny is leaning foward and Bundam is leaning back. Also, I can't really identify the light source on Bundam.
Ahaha, I'm glad I unintentionally made your thread title? Tongue
One thing is that I can't really tell what types they are. I'd guess Thunny is Electric, but I can't tell with Bundam.
Masquerain, nice to see more art from ya, Bundam is looking pretty cool, digging the fistears, but like Recolorme said, it's hard to find a primary lightsource on ol' Bundam.
Thunny also seems a little too plain, although I'm biased and like later generation designs more, so take that with a grain of salt or however that saying goes.
[Image: 99plh.png]

Fixed the leaning and lightsource issues on Thunny and Bundam, added HRAIR-00. Not sure about the shading/colors on him. Thoughts?
I don't know what I'm looking at on the other two. Maybe it's a readability/anatomy issue.

The pose on Bundam is really weird, and his coloring makes his leg look really weird. As some fashion stylists say, black on the clothes' extremities 'remove' it, which makes his crotch placed way high on his body. The blue outline around the black fur further gives this illusion.

He also seems to be leaning back a tad. Since he has huge ear things weighing him back, his neutral pose should be more sloped forward in order to be balanced properly. Also, his ear fuses with his body and is probably out of perspective, but I can't point where exactly.

HRAIR-00 is definitely out of perspective, compare his body's perspective with the ear's position. His right ear should be positioned BEHIND his body, and with its palm showing (considering the left ear, that is). His ears also seem more straight than curvy (some of the shading too) so I'd do something about it.
I can see most of the issues you pointed out now but I'm not quite sure how to fix any of them. I might as well start by asking more questions:

- HRAIR-00 is balancing on his ears. Was that not evident? Should I make the ear-hands more obvious? If that's not the root of the perspective issue, would posing it like you proposed still allow him to balance properly?
- His ears are mechanical - would that be easier to see if the lines and shading were straighter or should I curve them more anyways?

I'll see what I can do about Bundam (probably re-posing the entire upper body), and there are some issues with him and HRAIR-00 that you didn't point out that I noticed, so I'll go and work on those.

This is all really overwhelming though so I might go make another sprite first. (Now I remember why I pose my biped Pokemon the same exact way.)
Yes, I definitely saw HRAIR-00 balancing on his ears (pretty cool concept by the way). The thing is, a more opened pose would be better? I made an edit to exemplify:

[Image: KlvEd.png]

also I don't like how the blue fingers weren't shaded according to the arm: they can be colored differently, but they are from the same part and thus should be shaded as one object.
Ah, thanks, I see what you mean now! I'm already breaking the usual dimensions for a non-legendary Pokemon sprite so I think I'll have to shrink him to open the pose up more, but at least I have a better idea of what I need to do.
hi

I'm working on adapting some of my fakemon into 3rd gen style VERY SLOWLY.... so i can use them in a hacked game. When I have something to show for that, I'll post it. I'll take Bundam line crits in mind when I work on him.

[Image: 5Une5zM.png]

WIP

I wanted to do a pixel scene. Will I finish it? I hope. The background will probably make me mad as hell, but I really wanted to do something with an actual background for once.

Colors are tentative, I'm just making new ones when I need them. They'll be more interesting later when I fix the palette.
Billy E. Orange could be leaning more towards Mr. Goldenface, and I think his back is too big compared to his legs. Mr. Goldenface's face could be more readable (atm I'm seing a : ( emoticon on his face) and the body of water (I'm assuming it is) looks really small for someone to be half-submerged. Unless it is a small but deep water hole or that is actually his slimy legs.

As for the background, what about making the canvas a bit bigger? I don't know about you, but it looks kinda cluttered for me (by cluttered, I mean the placement of pond, characters etc).
[Image: 4ZzCk7g.png]

I did some work on this last night, then took Gors' critiques into account today. A few notes:

They're gonna have clothes, I wanted to make sure I had the anatomy and shit down before I drew them on.
I don't want to expand the canvas any more, I'm afraid if I make the background too big I'll never finish it.
I'm gonna do some stuff with the waterhole (which is deep enough to support a seated figure) to make it cool and see-through eventually, probably once I get the colors/lighting hammered out a bit more cause atm I have no idea what I'm doing

"Goldenface" has a breathing device over her nose/mouth:

I made the lines on it darker so hopefully it stands out more as not just part of her face. The yellow shading on it and her face is light from her eyes (they glow yellow.)

Man, I got myself in over my head.
I don't think it's convincing that left guy's pose is holding his weight.
I think you should look up references or try it yourself
in that kind of pose your butt is usually lower to the ground I think
and you're usually kind of hunched over with your shoulders forward and arms over your legs ...I think

I dunno, I'm not about to get up and try it to figure it out myself, but I think you got the idea.
...Unless he's supposed to be seated on a to-be-filled-in chair? In which case nevermind

but, yeah, I think that at least his calves need to be longer, while his arms look too long
The main issue I see is that he's flat-footed, as ankles do not typically bend inward very far.

Having him standing only on his toes/ball of feet with his heels elevated would resolve this if you did not want to modify the entire positioning of the legs.
That and his hands should either be pressed down on his knees to support his upper body weight, or else, and this is what I did automatically when I tried sitting in that position, his arms would be crossed and resting on top of his knees. Also what Angie said about his but being lower is correct, when I tried the pose I sank down until my ankles were supporting my butt.