The VG Resource

Full Version: Orbit makes sprites, apparently.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well then.
[Image: 09gIK.png]

I've been working on this for a few days now, and there's something about it that doesn't sit right with me. So yeah, criticism please?
Im on my ipad right now so i cant offer an edit but, his legs are too far apart and his belt is well a bit misplaced, maybe put it up a pixel higher.

Actually, your whole problem is because of the legs. It looks like he hunching on his leg (our left)

Also make the foot less blocky on the same leg
Unless he has really wide-set eyes, it looks like he's a cyclops. I don't know if you got rid of the other eye for readability purposes or whatever, but it's really weird-looking.
The biggest issue I see is that it's a little too busy.
You have an okay amount of colors, but they are distributed so much that you lose readability. You need bigger pixel clusters.
Spriting Dictionary Wrote:CLUSTER- A pixel cluster is an connected group of pixels of the same color.
[Image: obxTp.png]
Here we have two larger pixel clusters (not counting single pixels).
Note that adjacent pixel clusters with really low contrast can appear like one single cluster.
So, I went and made a few quick edits. I'm not sure if I fully understood Baegal's advice, but I tried anyway.

[Image: YOLDO.png]

So, yeah. Better or worse?
looks better, but the sprite is unbalanced (leaning forward). This is a quite common mistake among spriters; to see how well ligned (or not) they are, simply flip the sprite to the other side.
Also his pants look weird because of the position of the crotch being too low and it being straight lines. Legs aren't completely straight. It has curves that should be represented in the sprite too.
that doesn't look like something you should have had to spend a few days on. you've learned a few things now, but to be honest, while there are things that can be worked out with this sprite, what I would do is see how fast I could completely remake it and apply what I'd learned, without a reference, and work forward from there after.