The VG Resource

Full Version: Hurricane Sandy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nobody else has made a topic, so I am. Might be a bit pathetic but;

Anybody effected by the storm, please let us know that you're safe.
I'm fine

jokes aside, I've seen the situation in the TV news and holy shit, I hope people that live there are ok.

In a related note, I've been having thunderstorms and strong winds here lately. Obviously not as strong as Sandy, but annoying enough to make electricity go on and off several times in the day.
I'm in (barely) Northern Ontario, and even here the wind is pretty crazy. I have to walk to the bus terminal in a few minutes and I'm not looking forward to it
My step brother is in Manhattan staying on the closest street you're allowed to stay on without being evacuated. He doesn't seem to bothered. He sent us some pictures yesterday of some people running around wearing arm bands and snorkles.
Just a lot of rain and wind, but we still have power in Western New York.
It's not pathetic. I was a bit concerned at first too.
Yesterday for the entire day we got really bad weather -- really high winds (but not quite high enough to damage anything fortunately), rain so hard it literally sounded like hail (we probably did get some hail though) and a slight bit of thunder mixed in. Come evening our power went out 2-3 times, but only briefly thankfully.
Today though it's calm outside, so the storm either has weakened or moved far away from us (obviously hoping for the former). I think it was a sort of a close call as the storm pretty much just narrowly circled right around WV and hit everywhere else around us. Really sorry for those who got hit. Sad
We got some good rain and some very heavy winds here (just outside NYC) but no lasting damage on my end. A couple of decent sized branches came down but nothing huge and they didn't actually damage anything on our property so all is well!
I'm fine, power is going on and off at this point so chances are the main thing we have to worry about is winds over here at my college.

I'm hearing that it might rain later today but I think the worst of it passed Putney.
it didnt affect Montreal, I guess thats a good thing, no strong wind and no power blackoutrs
Sandy's looking pretty bad. I haven't looked into the details but any storm that can flood New York sounds pretty darn strong to me.

Anyway hope anybody in any areas it has affected is OK.
We got about a foot of snow here and the power, water, phones, and internet has been out for two days. We just got it back though. Hoping that the people closer to the coast are doing okay.
[Image: hurricane_sandy_cheeks.jpg]
I just got power back after losing it at 6 on Monday. Been using a generator to keep our and our grandparents' fridges running. I drove 100 miles to get 2 cans full of gas today with my dad and sister. Now at least we can use the gas for our cars instead of our generator.

Several trees fell, one into my neighbor's dining room, our other neighbor's onto my mom's windshield, and one huuuuge one thankfully falling away from my grandparents' house entirely. There is a massive gas shortage here in NJ, and from what I've heard through word-of-mouth is that a lot of shore points are hit very very badly.
So basically, the hype of the storm actually caused my college to close down for Monday and Tuesday. This is the same college that has a refusal to close during terrible snowstorms two years ago.

Basically in Philly, Monday was pretty bad, but it didn't hit until the late afternoon. I tried to walk two blocks down the street for food during the start of the storm and nearly got blasted away from the wind. The winds were strong enough to uproot a small tree or two on the sidewalks, and it succeeded in knocking down a traffic light. It fell perfectly into the neighboring sidewalk so no harm here.

Tuesday, there was absolutely nothing. No winds, no rain aside from a very mild drizzle, could've had classes in this.

Then my parents are out of power until Saturday along with my grandparents. And my aunt survived her stay in Ocean City during the hurricane. So there's that.
My town got wrecked. People lost chunks of their houses to trees. I tried taking pictures to upload but that was met with a pretty negative response from anyone who was near their house (which was everyone).

At work we lost power so we had to throw out roughly 1,500 dollars worth of food and as a small store owned by a local family that's a pretty big hit. Our local Giant supermarket also lost power and completely dumped their meat and dairy departments as well as their frozen food section. Aside from that most in the surrounding area are without power up until this coming Sunday. Our power never went out for more than a few second, but our land line phones, internet and cable were out for a few hours. In addition to that my college like Rosencrantz's closed both Monday and Tuesday. Attendance has been really poor since then too because most people don't have power.

I'm also an about an hour away from Rosencrantz, for those interested in geography.