The VG Resource

Full Version: Polls from Beyond! What has the most memorable environments?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. For those of you who don't know I belong to a Donkey Kong community. Surprise surprise.

Well we are having a bit of a skirmish that I, of course, started over what aspects of the DK series is more memorable or better or whatever. Anyway this time its about the environments.

I took notice that a lot of people seem to actually like DK64. Despite it's many flaws. I attributed this to the environments, atmosphere, and overall feel of the game.

Now this was a controversial thing I said on that community because most of them believe that the realistic natural environments of the DKC trilogy is more memorable compared to the zany cartoony environments of DK64.

So to prove a point, I'm going to use you guys. Sorry everyone, but you are my guineapigs. In the name of Video Game Science!

What does the non-obsessive fan think? Choose wisely and please give an explanation. At the end of the procedure I will give you all a treat... Nothing. What's better than Koopaul leaving you alone?
Donkey Kong '94
Sorry, but that is not a part of that community's DK series.

Also remember this is not a poll on what was a better overall game. This is a poll about the art and style.
Can I say Jungle Beat?
2. 1's were pretty generic/traditional (jungles, caves, underwater, mines, etc.), 3 had some different types but could be seen as derivative of 2's locales, and 64's pretty much derivative of the other games enviroments.
I voted for DKC1, but honestly I don't care for any of them personally. I've always thought that the pre-rendered graphics to look too rigid and stiff.
As for DK64, It was a N64 game, so the graphics were already horrible to begin with.
2 by far, has the most memorable. DK64 is close, but I can only chose one, so I'll chose the one with the amusement park stage, heh
2, because it had the most varied locales and they were all really cool (except for Zinger levels, but the music more than makes up for how annoying and dull some were).

But I only say 2 because we apparently can't pick Jungle Beat. I kind of adore Jungle Beat's atmosphere.
Jungle Beat was a great underrated game. I think I actually like it better than Returns, oops. The bongo controls aren't bad at all (except for clapping, fuck that).

By the way, I think 2 has the most memorable environment exactly because of what Tellis said, it is the most varied and well characterized.

DK Island is great and all, but I can't remember all the areas and where they are, even what theme they are. I only remember Jungle, Toy Factory and...uh...that's about it. Maybe desert? idk.

2 on the other hand, while having "realistic" scenery, everything was overexaggerated, like the mentioned amusement park, a swamp in which you jump on crocodile's head, a bee hive, a pirated ship. Basically, everything kind of gets stuck on your head.
Jungle Beat was the best DK series game I've played so far. It's just so addictive. You know you could also tap the sides of the bongos to do the clapping action but that also kinda makes your hands hurt after a while.
you could snap or raise the sound sensitivity or just tap the censor thingy iirc
DKC were and are ugly as fuck as a whole. we were only dazed by how prerendered sprites looked back in the time when proper 3D models werent posible. DK64 shares the exact same fate, though its not the system's fault, since developers did managed to portrait beatiful, clean enviroments even under the polygon restrictions of the n64(AKA kirby 64)

the only DK game that REALLY has a proper artstyle and does live up to the game's spirit is DKCR. but i'd asume thats too new for us to nostalgia about it.
*roles eyes*

Oh Meta. I'm sorry but by this point I can't take you seriously. You are just too much of what I call a Pixel-Snob.

The art of the environment and the actual graphics are two separate things.

Whether it was pre-rendered or not they were able to illustrate the mood and setting well. They were able to make engaging worlds, even without drawing it pixel by pixel.

Honestly Kirby 64 was okay but it didn't matter how well the polygons were shaped, that has nothing to do with it!

It's the mood of the environment. Not how smooth the polygons or pixels are.

This is why OoT Hyrule is a much more beautiful and interesting place compared to the higher polygonal Hyrule of Twilight Princess.
I'll step in and say that there is nothing wrong in DKC's graphics, like, at all imo. Even after the initial shock that was seeing a '3D' game in the SNES, I can still enjoy the whole scenery and the mood of it, which is complemented by the soundtrack.

I'll also say that I prefer DKC2 over the other two (not even going to consider N64 one because I never played it enough to compare) because everything was really different and cool to look at. Also David Wise did a fucking great job if you tell me.

Note that while I prefer DKC2 over 1 and 3, it doesn't mean I dislike them. They just aren't as diverse as 2 was. Maybe it's my nostalgia goggles or something, but that's my final saying.

Also Donkey Kong 94 is an awesome game, just saying
DKC2 also succeeded in terrifying the hell out of me with just its environments (I would play up to the haunted levels then just stop because goddamn).

All of the games actually had some pretty nice environments, but 2's the only one to actually get reactions out of me.
Pages: 1 2