The VG Resource

Full Version: Fight for Video Games in Licensed Establishments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello to all Spriters, Artists and Video Game enthusiasts. I am here to ask for your help against an obscene law that the LCLB (Liquor Control and Licensing Branch) has made for banning the use of video game consoles in licensed establishments in British Columbia, Canada.

Here is some back story; There is a new restaurant called EXP that just opened last month here in Vancouver, BC. The vision they had while building this place was to have it center around video game themed food and drinks, along with a point system that allowed you to earn "EXP" by winning at games in tournaments they would hold... sounds pretty fucking cool right?

However, only a few weeks before their opening, they were given a restriction from having any video games in their restaurant for no apparent reason. Please read up on the full story and sign the petition, this petition is not bullshit and will actually help this cause. Lets put a stop to this rediculous law against entertainment, I believe we have the right to play video games while having a drink if we damn well want to:

http://www.change.org/petitions/fight-fo...sing-in-bc

http://www.facebook.com/expbar
I signed the petition, two of my friends took me to that bar for a early birthday bash as well ^^ really great place to chill Smile

Also we now have the second video game bar in the world i believe the first was the mana bar in Australia Smile
Weren't those laws initially introduced because of electronic gambling machines? Anyway, signed.
The strange thing is that they encourage the use of gambling machines... but not video games. My guess is that because the government doesn't make money from consoles, they want all bars to have gambling machines only.
Signed it, the restriction is kinda silly.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate this. Please tell everyone you know, even if you live on the other side of the world we need all the support possible.
(10-04-2012, 06:36 PM)senjen Wrote: [ -> ]I signed the petition, two of my friends took me to that bar for a early birthday bash as well ^^ really great place to chill Smile

Also we now have the second video game bar in the world i believe the first was the mana bar in Australia Smile

There's also the Space Station Osaka retro gaming bar in Japan as well, that makes it three technically.

I'll throw in my support too.
There's also the AFK Tavern here in Washington, but I don't think it's really on the scale of EXP or the Mana Bar. They do have games "on tap" though, you can check out tabletop, card and video games to play while you're there, which I am pretty sure is what the others mentioned do too? I can imagine there's a bunch of other bars/restaurants that have opened up all over catering to gamers. There's certainly no shortage of people interested in a place like this, it's not like nerds are a minority.

Anyway, I'm throwing in my support, as well. Hopefully this can be seen through, along with the petitions other goal of fixing up the licensing process.
Signed. The idea for the bar sounds awesome, and briefly checking out the facebook page, I can say that the food looks amazing as well. If I ever end up taking a trip up to Vancouver, I'll be sure to check it out.
While it does sound like bullshit (the law, I mean) and I'd love to provide at least this minimum of support, is it really proper for one who isn't even a Canadian citizen to sign such a petition?

Randomly, there was also a semi-recent Gamasutra article about how Vancouver's game dev scene's been shrinking a bit lately, thanks to city laws and taxes or something (I don't remember exactly). This almost looks like it's related in some way.
There are only 3 game bars in the world, each on a different continent. I don't understand why these kinds of businesses aren't commonplace, there are lots of people who would go here. I believe that if EXP gets support from people worldwide instead of just from BC, it could start a chain that spreads over seas. Maybe not just an EXP chain, but different kinds of video game themed restaurant and bars in general like how Space Station Osaka focuses on retro gaming.

You are right about the game industry going down in the past few months, it is because the government is neglecting giving anyone the money required for starting a company. We have lots of talent in Vancouver, but its being sent south to the US or eastern and central Canada because the government is too concerned about politics.

The only relation with the two is the governments stupidity and unwillingness to get with the times. Gaming culture is deeply rooted here in Van, even if game development is shrinking we still have massive numbers of gamers who would love to have more gamer bars.