The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Duper Mario! (A Really Super Mario Adventure!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey! This is a Mario game I've been working on and off the past year. It's all homemade assets (music, sprites, and sfx and stuff). I'll be having a playable demo soon !!!!!!

I was going to ask you to add more content to your post, what makes your game special and different from the thousand mario fan games out there and whatnot, but ohmygish that video Genki ^_^

One thing though, what are you making this with? Big Grin
I gotta say, this is looking pretty goooooood.

Top notch fan game good sir Big Grin
yeah, in this special case, I think the video is self-explanatory. Possibly one of the most creative mario fangames around here!
Thanx !!!!!

Um, I guess that not much sets it apart from other games in the way of gameplay lol. Though I do plan to have an upgrade system sort of thing, so there's that ... ?

I'm making it in Game Maker. I know it's probably not the most convenient or practical way ... but it's the only thing I know Cry
Don't worry, I make games in Game Maker aswell for the same reasons. I know programming logic, but I don't have the skill (or patience) to start a script from scratch.
Just because GML isn't the most practical language to use doesn't mean you can't make awesome games with it.
Looks pretty super, uh, duper.

No seriously though that video looked like a looooooot of fun. The art style's pretty great too, and that music was catchy. I'm lookin' forward to this!
A Mario fangame that actually looks... good?

Wow, okay. I'll be watching this closely then.
the world needs more mario fan games.
The world doesn't need more Mario fangames. The world needs more GOOD Mario fangames.
No. the world needs more original games. they have reached a point in wich they act as the sprite edits of game developing.

Either they're bad they rely purely on it being based of mario

either they're good there is no point in it being based on mario.

look at this. you could easily pull some original content but you had to mask it as a mario, even when it only shares the basic core elements of its gameplay. therefore, you're automatically underestimated both your product, yourself and anyone who would genuinely play it due its quality. just like in sprite edits, being afraid of leaving the diaper that represents labeling as a fan game was too much to actually risk that no one would be interested on it if you didn't pasted something cheap and familiar on it to catch on people's interest.
Gotta say I agree with Meta on this. The game really does look promising, and If you made all of the assets yourself, then
you are certainly capable of creating original characters and locations. Just because it's a platformer with similarities to
Super Mario Bros by no means restricts you to only making it a mario game. I like mario as much as the next guy, but
I'm more than happy to see a new face running around somewhere I haven't been before.

On a different note, I really like the fireball mechanics, particularly the upward momentum from the down shots.
The music was also quite pleasant.
what if that is not a mask, but rather your own take on it? People is free to imagine how they'd make a game a company makes, and that doesn't make them worse or better than them. Adding your own concepts in a game that is already well known helps breaking the mold and can get people by surprise (which happened here, as you can see). Of course, using original characters is preferrable in a creativity-based forum like this one, but I really see no problems in this.

Not saying that I know Tri is also capable of doing other stuff

tl;dr like there are good sprite edits, there are good fangames.
(10-03-2012, 08:34 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]No. the world needs more original games. they have reached a point in wich they act as the sprite edits of game developing.

Either they're bad they rely purely on it being based of mario

either they're good there is no point in it being based on mario.

look at this. you could easily pull some original content but you had to mask it as a mario, even when it only shares the basic core elements of its gameplay. therefore, you're automatically underestimated both your product, yourself and anyone who would genuinely play it due its quality. just like in sprite edits, being afraid of leaving the diaper that represents labeling as a fan game was too much to actually risk that no one would be interested on it if you didn't pasted something cheap and familiar on it to catch on people's interest.

That seems a bit black and white to me ... the only way it would be a "mask" is if it didn't start out as a Mario game (which it did). I'm not trying to be dismissive or anything, but maybe you should play the game ???
The point he's making is not that the game is bad, but that the game is very, very good, and it would be doing yourself an injustice to make it a Mario fangame. The "mask" he's referring to is something you may not even have been aware of. All he means is that the only real reason this has Mario in it is for cheap publicity (going by the rule that: "people like Mario, so I'll make a Mario game, now people like my game"). The point is that you could quite easily get people to like this game, and like it a lot, WITHOUT having Mario in it. You'd not only get a more original product, but also have the full rights to your game, so if you ever wanted to sell it, or adapt it to console, you have the ability to do so.

I agree with Meta here, because this game has the potential to be very successful, not just to get lost among a sea of Mario fangames.
Pages: 1 2 3