The VG Resource

Full Version: A large webhoster for .rar & .zip archives (at least 4 GB)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since Min.us is not accepting archives any longer, I'm searching for other freehosters.

First I went to Google Drive with 5 GB space, but I've already lost two accounts since they keep telling me that my account has some uncommon activities and that they would need my telephon number. No thanks.

Maybe you already know the famous Dropbox with his 2 GB space. You can do various things to increase your webspace like connecting it with Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Inviting other people is one method, but all people I know have already dropbox.

So yeah, 2 GB is not much, I would at least need 4 GB. Is there any other hoster besides Google Drive who offers webspace in this dimensions?
MediaFire gives you a whopping 50GB. Unfortunately it doesn't allow hotlinking, but for simply sharing files it's pretty much as good as it gets. Anything you'd want to hotlink (like SWFs for embedding or whatever) should fit in Dropbox's 2GB anyway.
There are ads on the download pages, and although I don't really see them due to AdBlock I'm not sure if they'll bothers you. The file size limit for free accounts is 200MB too, so if you want to upload humongous files you have to split them.

However apart from than that I've found MediaFire to be pretty much perfect for sharing large amounts of files, personally I use it for archives containing sounds or sprites that I submit.
Particular hosters do not come to mind (Microsoft's Skydrive??) but there is a solution I somewhat use in order to provide HTTP downloads of large files to people without bothering with hoster hassles; I host/serve them from home.

I have a second computer hooked up to the router running Ubuntu Server with Apache. It's normally used as a game server but I find it's handy as a home fileserver too. Smile
When I want to provide files to people, I simply move them into an appropriate subdirectory in /var/www. I use dyndns.org in order to provide a hostname for my machine rather than providing an IP (though people still ask me for the bloody name Angry)

Obviously this isn't a perfect solution if you're paranoid about exposing your IP/do not have a stable and reasonable-speed connection but it's something to consider if you're out of options.

Edit: See here for an example.
nah, I need a stable connection.

@Puggsoy:
Hotlinking is not really neccessary, but is it possible to put a folder link in my post and have people watch my files and easily download them? And how long do my files last on the server? Is Mediafire deleting stuff when no one downloads it in a certain amount of time?
You can share folders, it gives a similar URL to when you share files. People can then view the folder, and access any files or subfolder within it. You can also add or remove stuff to the folder and people can still use the same link, it'll update for them.

Also, MediaFire says that it'll keep your files as long as 1) they're being downloaded and/or 2) you keep logging in. I don't think there's a set time for inactivity, that is it might be different for each account, but they will send you 4 emails notifying of deletion before they actually delete anything, so you can just login when you get that.

I use 2Shared myself.
Holy crap I didn't know that... and I rarely check my e-mail... Good thing I get into MediaFire now and then.
Ok, this odds Mediafire out. Files should stay 100% on the server and not when they feel like. This is not any better than rapidshare, etc.

I'm now using BOX, which has also 5 GB and no limits with its file duration on the server.
Ah, OK then. Good thing you're not looking to store lots of massive files. I might have a look at Box myself if I need to store files permanently.