The VG Resource

Full Version: Copy Right Check For Sprite Video Series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, I have a question about starting a sprite series. I would like to start a series based off of the character Samurai Jack. I was wondering would that legally be ok? The artwork and sprites will be made completely by me so I legally own the sprites and art so I can use them as I please. I want to avoid starting the series and getting far into it and then have to take it down Cry.Is it okay make a sprite based off of a character (Yes the sprite will look like the character).I believe this series will fall under transfomative, Fair use, and derivative work

-I'll be making all the animations, sprites, artwork
-I won't use Cartoonnectwork's music and stuff
-I'll use music from various video games
-I'll use some video game SFX and sound SFX I make in audacity
-The story will branch off of Jack trying to get back to the past
-I'll put a notice saying I didn't make Jack up and give credit etc

Thanks for any info you give.
Usually nothing happens, but theoretically, they could make you take it down.
Though I think the video game music would be a bigger deal Wink
Lol I hope nothing happens.I think it'd fall under derivative work so there shouldnt really be an issue I just have to be careful with the "likeness"
As long as Jack doesn't look to much like any existing sprites I think it should be OK. You should be careful about the music though, if you're using official video game music you should make it VERY clear in both the video credits and description which games and companies it belongs to.

In any case you shouldn't try and make money from it, but I'm sure you already knew that.
(09-26-2012, 04:04 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]In any case you shouldn't try and make money from it, but I'm sure you already knew that.
Yeah if you tried this I think it'd be shut down faster than you can say "copyright infringement!".