The VG Resource

Full Version: Making a Sprite Video Series.Aspect ration scaling etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I would like to start my own sprite video series, but it requires an understanding of how videos scale things and aspect ratios etc.But let me just list the tools I'm planning to use:

1.Paint.Net (I'll be doing all sprite creation here: scenes, characters, effects, etc)
2.Vectorian Giotto (I don't have the finance to buy 699$ Flash pro.I'll just copy paste everything from Paint.Net and put it in layers.I'll add the sound etc)
3.Audacity (Editing SFX & music)

My concern starts with Paint.Net.I want to work on a canvas sized at a 16:9 aspect ratio like 414 x 240 px.At first I had it sized at something like 1280x720px but then I realized how small my sprite (81x81px) looks on a canvas that large the viewer would have to squint their eyes to see the details.So I shrunk it to 414x240px.I would like to upload the video to youtube when it's complete but I want the "camera" to be as close as i see it in Paint.Net.I hope I'm making sense...Also if you know of any better Free animating software I wouldn't mind if you told me.Thanks guys for the help

Here's a visual in case you don't understand what I'm trying to say That's a visual of my Paint.net the red rectangle represents the average human size I'm going to be using.And the black borders were created because I want the video to have that cinematic look.I'm wondering if it will look like that in the youtube video player
In my humble opinion, you're better off acquiring Flash through other means

as in the kind you don't need to pay for.

Though I don't think forum rules would allow me to go further in depth
What I would recommend you do is just choose whatever resolution you want for your video. Then just create your sprite animations and whatnot at any size you like, then once that's done you can scale them up separately to the size you want (that looks good in the video), and import them into the program. I'm not sure how Vectorian Giotto works (never heard of it), but that's how I would do it with a video editing program.

Oh, and those black borders will appear automatically if you set the aspect ratio to a wider ratio than YouTube's player. You can put them in manually if that's easier (just set them to appear on every frame), but just so you know they're not necessary.
I was reading something about how YouTube players display videos if you chose a resolution of 16:9 it'll fill the whole player with out the ugly border that covers all the sides of the video.But yeah if you type in free flash animators you'll see Vectorian Giotto but whatever thanks guys I think my video questions should be posted in a video making site.

If anything I want my videos to look like DestructionSeries he makes those Kirby videos on youtube