The VG Resource

Full Version: Bowser's Inside Story Overworld Ripping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I started trying to fill in the playable character gaps from BiS, using DeSmuME 0.9.8. I'm starting with Bowser Overworld but the problem is that disabling layers on the top screen pretty much sucks. The only layer (not including GPU) that actually does something when I disable it is Main BG 0, upon which everything disappears. This makes overworld sprites pretty much unrippable, it also happens when Mario and Luigi go outside Bowser. The bottom screen is fine.
However, when I go to the Star Menu, the top screen (which is strangely accessed by the Sub layers now) can be disabled, along with the bottom screen (accessed by Main layers).

Anybody know of a workaround or alternative way to rip the sprites? It looks like Wiiboy4ever managed to rip Mario's overworld sprites from the top screen (the diagonal and vertical walk frames confirm this) so it should be possible.
You should wait until the Yoshi Magic tool can support BiS sprites (check the M&L PiT ripping project thread).
If it already can view overworld sprites then you can give it a shot. It just can't view battle sprites yet.
Well it's sort of hard to find any discussion about installing or using Yoshi Magic in the PiT thread, people are mostly talking about what they ripped with it Tongue I found the website and downloaded version 0.2 from there (I'm not sure if this is the latest version), but I don't know how to open NDS files in it, it's only giving me an option for GBAs. Am I doing something wrong?

Also yeah if it can do overworld sprites that's enough, I haven't checked yet but I expect battle sprites will be OK.
The latest version is here, but I highly recommend getting the version before it too, here, in case you run into any problems. Basically what you do is, first of all make sure you have a North American ROM for BiS, then when you open YM, browse to the ROM, open it, and then on the right you can open either the Map Viewer or Item Viewer, because that's all there is ATM. Unfortunately, now checking myself it seems you can only rip overworld maps with it. If you wanted to use it to help with PiT, then that'd be great too though. Smile
Hmm. Well, not exactly perfect, but it still is pretty fancy. I suppose I'll have to wait for a newer version before I can get the sprites though. In the meantime I'll probably do Mario's battle sprites.

And yeah if I feel like it I might give the PiT project a hand, YM looks like an interesting tool to use.
If you do end up ripping playables from PiT, I will be the happiest of all campers.
Well I like making people happy Genki ^_^ I'll see if I can manage to get some of the remaining playables (mostly battle sprites right?).

However does Yoshi Magic have an exporting function or something? If not how should I get the frames?
You have to print screen each frame, unfortunately. It works though!

Good luck with getting the sprites that are covered up by effects though. Sick
Ya I think we're pretty much done with the Bros' overworld sprites. We only need their battle poses now. Good luck!