The VG Resource

Full Version: Problems opening DAE files in Blender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to open some of the collada (dae) files in blender 2.63 that I found on this site; namely the pokemon models for Pokepark: Pikachu's Adventure. Unfortunately, none of the textures render at all. The obj files do work correctly, but I'd still like to use the collada files. Has anyone experienced this problem/knows of a fix?
In my experience, you need to adjust the materials' specular properties. For whatever reason, many of the DAEs I've downloaded from here have their materials' specular color set as white, at least when imported into Blender. For me at least, textures still render; they're just really pale. Changing the specular color to black or reducing the specular intensity to 0 should make them render as expected. I'm assuming you were referring to rendering the models, not viewing them in the 3D view.
Thanks for the tip!

But, being a newbie, I was actually referring to the 3D viewport. Changing the specularities to 0 did make the textures show in "Render Image" (as you said, they were very pale beforehand). It would still be nice to get them in the 3D viewport. And yes, I did set the shader to texture.
The faces need to have their images assigned. It can be done manually, but that's obviously slow.

I don't know if there's already a quick solution elsewhere, but I wrote this script for Blender 2.63. Switch to the 'text editor' section of Blender, create a new text, paste this in and run.
Code:
import bpy

for mesh in bpy.data.meshes:
    for p in mesh.polygons:
        mat = mesh.materials[p.material_index]
        if mat != None and mat.active_texture.type == 'IMAGE':
            mesh.uv_textures[0].data[p.index].image = mat.active_texture.image
Worked! I guess blender doesn't properly assign the textures to each mesh? That seems like a fairly big problem with blender, if that is in fact the case...

Edit: I see now that the rendered dae files are much worse looking than the corresponding obj files. Namely, the surface of the model is much smoother looking in the obj files. Perhaps this is another problem with Blender importing collada?

Edit 2: I've figured out that the reason for the smoother models is just a high poly count. The reason is that the brres viewer outputs much lower poly counts for PSK files as opposed to its OBJ and MD5 files. These differences get passed along when converting through Noesis.

And I think that pretty much concludes all my problems importing into blender!
(09-12-2012, 07:47 PM)XPilot Wrote: [ -> ]Worked! I guess blender doesn't properly assign the textures to each mesh? That seems like a fairly big problem with blender, if that is in fact the case...

Edit: I see now that the rendered dae files are much worse looking than the corresponding obj files. Namely, the surface of the model is much smoother looking in the obj files. Perhaps this is another problem with Blender importing collada?

Edit 2: I've figured out that the reason for the smoother models is just a high poly count. The reason is that the brres viewer outputs much lower poly counts for PSK files as opposed to its OBJ and MD5 files. These differences get passed along when converting through Noesis.

And I think that pretty much concludes all my problems importing into blender!

have you tried in the well the tab that toggles when you hit N to change display from multitexture to glsl in the shading option it always looks better for me but you need to set up lights if you're going to do that.
(09-12-2012, 07:47 PM)XPilot Wrote: [ -> ]And I think that pretty much concludes all my problems importing into blender!

As in, he's already solved his problem.
Since this thread's almost 2 months old, I'm gonna lock it.
In the future, please try to keep in mind about a thread's last post date, since anything a month or more old counts as necroposting. Have a nice day~