The VG Resource

Full Version: Which PS1 Emulator is Suitable for Game Devopment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is not the right place to post (feel free to move to where it's suitable) but I figure this could be the right place to ask. Shy

Like the title says, Which PS1 emulator is most suitable for PS1 game devopment? The emulator also has to work with Windows. I'm asking this b/c I've been throwing around the idea of making a game recently.

What materials should I also need to make games for the PS1? I found a Net Yaroze SDK and an official PS1 SDK lying around on the internet, would those help?
moving to QIT.
You can't make games with an emulator, the only they do is playing CD-ROMs and virtual ISOs.
I think he means for testing the games (i.e. ISOs) he produces. If that is the case then I can say the ePSXe is probably a good emu, I mean it runs most games pretty much like an actual PS1 which is about as good as it'll get.
But if you're looking to make a game with an emulator then Davy's right, that's not how it works.

(09-04-2012, 04:41 PM)Nero1024 Wrote: [ -> ]I found a Net Yaroze SDK and an official PS1 SDK lying around on the internet, would those help?

An official development kit for what you want to develop would normally helps, yeah Wink
What about a PS1 emulator that outputs debug information like logging, OAM/VRAM viewer, dissasembler, and/or Memory viewer? Kind of like VBA.
Well I haven't tried it but apparently PCSX has a disassembler and register debugger. pSX is also supposed to have a "R3000 debugger" but I'm not sure how useful that is.
pSX is also the most like a real console...
So wait, it actually runs better than ePSXe which was supposedly the best emulator?
I think that depends on what your opinion on "best" means. pSX may have more accurate emulation, but ePSXe has more plugins and features to tweak. Personally I've used ePSXe because it allows me to modify graphics or sound plugins to get better speed.

I think ePSXe has been called "best" because most people who emulate care more about smooth emulation than accurate emulation. It might allow some enhancements of certain games that was impossible with the original console, such as cheats or just graphical improvements. Also since it's plugin-based you can find various plugins that do a heap of different things, like specific game fixes.

However for true emulation, which is probably preferable when debugging and testing, pSX is better. And if that's what you want, then it's the "best".
Additionally, ePSXe save states view vram better than pSX, which whenever I attempt to view crashes the entire emulator...
ePSXE 1.70 has also some problems, like crashing when you want to change the ISO (Lunar SSSC/EBC) or not reacting to key input (Tales of Destiny). In this case, I have always my 1.60 on the harddisk (which never failed me).

Besides that, epsxe supports the video plugin PEC (psx emulation cheater) which has a giant library of codes for nearly all possible games. You can also edit the textfile which stores the codes by yourself.
I'd hate to necropost an old thread (my own of all things) but I've managed to discover the No$PSX which has some neat debugging features and a nifty VRAM viewer (albeit w/ no palette control from what I've seen). This emu seems promising for homebrewers.

http://nocash.emubase.de/psx.htm