The VG Resource

Full Version: Game Maker games you or anyone else made money off of before?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The only one I know of is Super Mario Bros. Infinity which used to work but now when you download
Super Mario Bros. Infinity files from http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/
you get an almost unplayable game files.

The maker of Super Mario Bros. Infinity (SMBI) used to have in SMBI where you could click on Donate button or whatever to be able to donate.

That is the only one I know of.
Believe it or not, apparently someone got their Gamemaker game accepted onto Steam.
I don't remember what it was called though, it was some kind of puzzle game as I remember.
I believe a company in Holland called Vlambeer makes Game Maker games for profit. Super Crate Box is one of their titles.
I too tried to make Game Maker games for profit, Bouncy Cat being one of them, but there was no interest for it; Mark Overmars found it too complex (levels were too long etc.) and had zero faith in pixel-art selling (despite him admitting that GM was originally intended for pixel-art) and portals don't usually support GML.
Speaking of which, YoYoGames has published some games for mobile (not sure what OS).
I think not many people make games on gamemaker for money, because some people will not take them seriously as a 'proper' game, and also people who can get them onto mainstream markets tend to be able to program/afford programmers.

or i could be completely wrong :p
(09-02-2012, 10:36 AM)JoeButler Wrote: [ -> ]I think not many people make games on gamemaker for money, because some people will not take them seriously as a 'proper' game, and also people who can get them onto mainstream markets tend to be able to program/afford programmers.

or i could be completely wrong :p

It's not that they aren't just "taken seriously", that would imply there is fault with the consumer. GM itself is very poorly-made, for instance:
Wikipedia Wrote:GML is an interpreted programming language instead of a compiled language. When GameMaker creates a stand-alone game, all GML (including drag and drop functions) is packed into the game executable. Every time the generated program is executed, an included interpreter carries out the commands indicated by the GML code; this makes GameMaker-created games able to be easily decompiled and reverse engineered. (Game makers wishing to limit this must use encryption.) Being an interpreted language, GML is usually significantly slower than compiled languages such as C++ or Delphi.

You are sacrificing quality and speed for your ease. This isn't too big an issue if you are giving away your games or trying to make small change on the side, but if you plan on becoming a developer by profession and making a living off games it isn't a very good idea at all.
We're using Game Maker in my Introduction to Game Development class and the thing that the teacher has been repeatedly hammering into our heads is that Game Maker is NOT something you use for a final product when you're a developer. Instead, it's used for prototyping before production even begins so you can make sure that the mechanics you want will even work.

According to him it's actually used widely across the industry, but only for prototyping.
(09-02-2012, 12:44 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]We're using Game Maker in my Introduction to Game Development class and the thing that the teacher has been repeatedly hammering into our heads is that Game Maker is NOT something you use for a final product when you're a developer. Instead, it's used for prototyping before production even begins so you can make sure that the mechanics you want will even work.

According to him it's actually used widely across the industry, but only for prototyping.

I'm curious; has he worked in any major console game?

---------------------

Is this your game?

Neko Bouncy Cat
Uh, no. That's NicktendoDS's. Are you trying to assume something or what?
(09-11-2012, 07:03 PM)kaB00M Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2012, 12:44 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]We're using Game Maker in my Introduction to Game Development class and the thing that the teacher has been repeatedly hammering into our heads is that Game Maker is NOT something you use for a final product when you're a developer. Instead, it's used for prototyping before production even begins so you can make sure that the mechanics you want will even work.

Yes, but he's signed NDAs from the company that he worked at and isn't allowed to tell us which specific projects he was involved with.
(09-11-2012, 07:03 PM)kaB00M Wrote: [ -> ]

---------------------

Is this your game?

Neko Bouncy Cat

To confirm Gors' post, that is my game. I spent half a year making this beauty with a dear friend of mine. I actually referred to this game in an earlier post of mine in this topic.