The VG Resource

Full Version: C+C And Style Discussion (Split from Nayr's Thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Meta this is the first time he's posted something, and your jumping on him. Maybe if he's a repeated offender but man take it easy.

Everything has to be a custom style? Everything has to be original content? Everyone has to take pixelart super seriously like its going to be their occupation?

Maybe he saw FE and wanted to have some fun and try that huh? What's wrong with that?

I remember when spriting was a fun hobby, I miss those days.

Sorry I've been dealing with a lot of issues lately!
I'll say that we, as pixelartists, do want to see people improve. So I can definitely see metaru's point. It is bad, in the long run, to make the same style of sprites over and over.

But, not everyone is supposed to be an artist after all. Most of us only make pixelart as a hobby, and they probably don't take it seriously like us. And that's perfectly fine. We only give >suggestions< to those people. It's up to them to choose making another thing or keep doing the same thing.

Though, it will be a real shame to see you stuck in a fine, but repetitive style. Not everyone cares about FE sprites, and if you have no other things to show, then consider yourself of little influence to tSR, as harsh as that might sound.

Don't take any of this as insult; I just want to see something else from you. Show us you can do more. Show us what you're capable of.
(08-20-2012, 04:00 AM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]unrelated nostalgia blabbering
guess you're right buddy

sorry bro, please keep spriting FE-based portraits until we all get bored from them and they cease to be anywhere near being relevant to be shared on the site*. after all the whole point of the board isnt to post work and get feedback on how to improve your stuff; oh nop it aint.

*circa 2010.
Sarcasm, improving the internet since 1969

I think you should be less harsh. While you have a point - it's a shame Nayr isn't trying anything else - Koopaul is absolutely correct about the fun part. Some people sprite for fun and that's about it and I wouldn't say Nayr is doing the most awful pixels. Whilt it is fine to tell someone he probably should consider expanding into other fields, it gets wrong and anoying when you start sounding like you demand it. Since he stated these FE things are all he wants to do, either help him with that or leave the thread alone.

tl;dr there was no need for that last, purely provocative post.
(08-20-2012, 09:53 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]Sarcasm, improving the internet since 1969

I think you should be less harsh. While you have a point - it's a shame Nayr isn't trying anything else - Koopaul is absolutely correct about the fun part. Some people sprite for fun and that's about it and I wouldn't say Nayr is doing the most awful pixels. Whilt it is fine to tell someone he probably should consider expanding into other fields, it gets wrong and anoying when you start sounding like you demand it. Since he stated these FE things are all he wants to do, either help him with that or leave the thread alone.

tl;dr there was no need for that last, purely provocative post.
Stepping into new territory is the fun part of spriting, actually I'm currently working on sprite which I've never done before.(So I'm honestly clueless on the details of it Tongue)

But I guess it's ok to chose a group or style and stay with it, since it's his choice. So I agree with you previous.
I'm sorry guys to start something. Its just I don't like the idea that tSR is this elitist pixelart group. Its not written anywhere that we have a standard for what we should be spriting. In fact I sort of prefer this to full scale original pixelart.

Why? Because someone could actually use these. Like mentioned above there's FE modding going on.

It reminds me of why I started spriting. To me sprites are merely pieces of a much bigger picture. To be used for other things.

That's just me, but there's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with people being like that.

I understand that spriting has evolved into something more complex, but I want that to be someone's choice.
Meta made a very reasonable first post. And then his C+C was flat out ignored. So, no, he did not jump on an innocent, rather someone who ignored C+C, which is kind of not an okay thing to do on this site. His points are perfectly valid anyway.

This site is made for improving. He told him how to improve. Even if you do spriting as a fun hobby why wouldn't you want to improve?
Still, that's absolutely no reason to get offensive. If someone decides that they do only want to do one thing, it is their decision and Nayr made it quite clear.

Go check the rules, they state quite clearly how to act in such a case. You're free to elaborate with arguments as to why someone should or should not do a thing and if the OP does not accept it, leave the thread alone. A purely provocative post does not qualify as a proper reply and does not help in any way. If there is one thing it does not do is convicing the other party of your opinion, but it is rather likely to have the opposite effect.

I'd say we all should accept Nayr decision. If you want, post your comments on the sprites he posted, if not, just move along.
(08-20-2012, 06:14 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]This site is made for improving. He told him how to improve. Even if you do spriting as a fun hobby why wouldn't you want to improve?

Technically, he might only want to improve in one direction. I don't think he has general spriting as a hobby, but rather just spriting FE stuff. Also his first post wasn't really C+C, it was just "Hey that's a neat trick. Do anything else?"

Might I suggest we split this from his topic? It seems this is becoming less about Nayr's work and more about the site's opinion on sprites as a whole.
While Metaru did offer valid criticism, I can understand about wanting to do one kind of thing for a time if it makes you happy. Like we talked about over Skype guys, you wanted me to try to draw real life stuff and humans and what have you, but I said I didn't want to, that I'm not ready. I want to sprite fictional characters for now. If someone tried to make me do real life stuff I'd just say I didn't want to. If I tried to learn anatomy and all that stuff with my current issues I'm having I'd want to just give up spriting, because I would not be having any fun or enjoying myself.

Now don't think I'm trying to counter you guys, because you're all making valid points, I just can understand what both sides are getting at and I think if he's dead set on FE for now then I don't think he should be pressured out of it into something that will make him unhappy. I know I'd like to keep spriting what I wanted until I felt ready to move on, that I feel like I could actually do it without feeling like tearing my hair out. Just my two cents.
To add on to Mighty's post, I think events that occur such as this one could be one of the many reasons most spriters that are seasoned/competent enough (ITT: The Mod Gen Fiasco) take a quick peek, grab -some- advice, then leave, instead of doing one of the more logical reasons:

Getting to know fellow spriters. How do you think I improved since I started getting active again? For example, what are fellow spriter's habits? What is their preferred style? What games do they like? That's the FIRST thing people should do before posting their very first sprite: to see what works and what doesn't. Even though I am gonna feel like I'm yanking a carrot from a string here, but what about megamario*randomnumbers* with his M&L3 Geno sprite (there's gotta be THOUSANDS of these by now)? Now see here, it's kinda hard to let go of what you are doing sometimes, I've been through that, true. But I don't usually sprite Mega Man 24 times over or try to imitate a style from that series anymore. Because it was simple: I listened to what they had to say. Why do you think it has "/community/" in the url?
(08-20-2012, 07:52 PM)Gaia Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you think it has "/community/" in the url?
Because it sounded fancier than /forum/ ?

I think the core of the issue regarding this forum's opinions is that there's a tendency to automatically assume anyone who posts here wants to become THE BEST SPRITER EVER, which requires a patience and dedication that you guys put out all the time. The problem is that some people really don't want to become that. People like Nayr just want to be the best (insert game here)-style spriter, maybe not even the best, but still good. If you can't at least acknowledge those types of people, you come off as super elitist.

This is getting really off-topic.
Keiang Wrote:Might I suggest we split this from his topic? It seems this is becoming less about Nayr's work and more about the site's opinion on sprites as a whole.

Anyway, I think Nayr's doing pretty well at his FE style. I'm still not sure about that old guy's ears, but eh.
I'm really confused on some of the logic (or lack thereof) in this thread.

Metaru is right here.

I'm not necessarily gonna complain about the guy wanting to make FE sprites but i think it's REALLY stupid that people are seriously like "lol if he only wants to sprite in one style ever then it's okay guys XD" in here.

I don't really care that he's only making FE sprites in this thread but the very fact that it's considered okay to pidgeonhole yourself into one singluar style is... I mean, really. What?

That's like if someone is only making M&L or MM7 or MMZ or Sonic edits. Nobody on here would allow that. Why is this okay?
(08-20-2012, 09:10 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really care that he's only making FE sprites in this thread but the very fact that it's considered okay to pidgeonhole yourself into one singluar style is... I mean, really. What?

That's not it. It's when people sound like they're demanding he change his style that's the problem. If he doesn't feel it's time for him to change, then pushing him will only make things worse.

Besides, it's not like his sprites are bad per se.
I didn't say he should do this forever, I just think if he wants to do it for now then he should be able to. I do agree with what you guys are saying but he just sounded forceful about it is all.
And like I said it was a similar thing with me and the real life stuff (I know it's not the same since I still sprite different things but you get the point). I think he may not feel ready.
Either way, arguing aside, if he's not gonna change he won't change no matter what we say so in the end it's really up to him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4