The VG Resource

Full Version: History of TSR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
As I browsed the forums, I noticed I know nearly nothing of TSR, I wondered about it, what was it in the past? Was it similar or different to the actual one? Who were the mods were they effective in their job? What were the major changes that happened? Stuff like that... i also heard of a fireball20xl era somewhere and the site was changing. Is it possible to maybe write a history of TSR?
I'm still working on the documentary, give me some time jeez!

(but really it's a veeeeeery long and veeeeeery boring story i dont know why anyone would want to know it)

e: on second thought this would actually be better than Indie Game: The Movie
Just write down the important & interesting things.
I'm curious as to how much cocaine is involved in this story.
(08-20-2012, 09:39 PM)Shadow Kami Wrote: [ -> ]Just write down the important & ineresting things.

May 2009: I joined
Aug 2009: I became active
Q2 2010: I became a mod
Q4 2010: I resigned
Q1 2011: I became a mod
Q3 2011: I resigned
Q1 2012: I became a mod
it started as a shitty site for 11 year olds to make bad comics about their sonic fursonas and eventually it became the monopoly over sprites you see now
Well, I know I had quite a history with this forum (and it wasn't all sunshine), but if I hadn't I wouldn't have grown into what you see today. So it's really the bad experiences as well as the good ones that help you learn things and discover things about yourself you never knew. So I owe all that to you guys.
I only showed up in one of the later versions of Pixeltendo which was TSR's former forum. Pixeltendo was a pretty unique set up, it was labeled "elitist" by outsiders because our way of c+c was what it is now but was mixed with a lot of hate. Actually for a while the general attitude of the forums was who can be the biggest asshole to unwanted members. I'll admit I was a loud mouth 12 year old at the time (damn, have I really been around some of you guys for 6 years already?) and was a target for a lot of this hate. Yet again I was really asking for it. But I did improve artistically leaps and bounds because of it (well the actual constructive parts of it). Somewhere down the line PT became so infamous as a place of unruly and harsh people, and we stopped getting new members or those that were new immediately left and we weren't really growing. At the same time this reputation was hurting TSR and presenting an image that those in charge didn't want and we were dropped as the forum and then this place was born.

Some things I remember are;
-The week Jordan left
-the dark kamek clones during that week
-expresso chop
- Jordan's gay (I never actually found this funny)
- Pixel fads;
- Hue Shifting
- The M&L Wario wars
- The M&L style craze
- SmithyGCN style (I forget the actual name of the style but people started calling it this)
- I think we raided MFGG or something?
- I'll edit when I remember more.
tsrs history is kind of hilarious in a really strange way
take it from somebody who was there for most of it

things i remember
everything ever

if there's one thing i can say that old tsr had that i really liked, it's that custom spriting in a style can actually teach you a lot about the grid in pxielart and what details are important to the piece
Hm I was there back in 2001 when Pixeltendo was still working on a name.

Bacon was the owner of Ninsprites and he ran these boards with his buddies Tonberry2K (who is still around so say hi), JonEX, Rogultgot... and uh... some other people. And those were great times! Then Pixeltendo went to shit, new people took it over and eventually Ninsprites (now called the Spriter's Resource) split and gained it's own community we see today.

Jetter's you have no idea how dark and crazy the history of this place is.
I joined Pixeltendo around the time the incident with The Green Guy happened, I don't even remember what year that was.
I joined back in the later versions of Pixeltendo. I don't remember much of it, because I wasn't on there too much, but I remember some amusing times with The Green Guy and Frario = nob.
On the whole, this community is a lot more refined by comparison.
(08-20-2012, 11:58 PM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]Jetter's you have no idea how dark and crazy the history of this place is.
I still say you can make a really long+good rpg based on the stuff that happened in this place
pixeltendo

tsr

orgasmatron.
(08-20-2012, 11:58 PM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]Hm I was there back in 2001 when Pixeltendo was still working on a name.

Bacon was the owner of Ninsprites and he ran these boards with his buddies Tonberry2K (who is still around so say hi), JonEX, Rogultgot... and uh... some other people. And those were great times! Then Pixeltendo went to shit, new people took it over and eventually Ninsprites (now called the Spriter's Resource) split and gained it's own community we see today.

Jetter's you have no idea how dark and crazy the history of this place is.

JonEX... he was the guy with the "Stop Posting" avatar right? Rogultgot's avatar was a black hedgehog I believe. I remember Bacon and Bad-Ass-Bill... man my brain hurts thinking that far back...

Basically Pixeltendo became some kind of internet bullying group, lots of angry kids thinking they were awesome kind of thing. Nintendo was worshipped and most people were angry fanboys. A small group of regulars (many who are great people now... I think?) kind of took it over, tore into people's work so bad it was enough to make sure that person never posted again (the custom work was crap but it was still uncalled for) and filled the forum with inside jokes. You had to have a tough skin to enjoy it basically.

There was a huge split (I think it was when the site was handed to Dazz but my memory sucks and I didn't really like tSR back then) and tSR got it's own independent forum. I think Bacon or someone tried keeping Pixeltendo going but it was basically just filled with hate (or unicorns or something) and it died. Well I think Tyvon had it for a bit (probably wrong) but he changed it to Pixel-X-Core (if that actually happened at all). The forum we know now matured, the site started dividing things by console instead of by company, and everything was good.

It's one of those stories that means very little to most people and only really holds value to those who were there - and thus already now it. Many people liked Pixeltendo but in all honesty it just seemed to be filled with angry kids and hate. And bad sprite comics. Thankfully sprite comics seemed to have mostly died (and this is coming from someone who used to make them...) but when they were all the rage the sprite world was a scary place.

(Disclaimer: Most details in this post are probably wrong)
Pages: 1 2 3 4