The VG Resource

Full Version: FF6 Style Cloud
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: cloudff6b.png]
Can someone please for the love of god motivate me to finish this thing? It's only been about several years too many in the making.
Wow, these are pretty nice! Definitely a vast improvement over the older ones; especially in the hair.

I see no immediate issues with Cloud so far; I think it'd be really cool to see this finished! Big Grin
I notice how the top left sprites of his hair had too many dark parts seperating the spikes, then I noticed you fixed that yourself Big Grin
Can't see any problems with it except that it's not finished xP I think it would be fab, have you thought of any uses for it? RPG Maker? Gifs?
Why the two versions? Is one set new and one old?
The blue is a very very old version. It's on the tSR site; the green is new.
No use yet, I just happen to like spriting Cloud, despite being nowhere near my favourite FF character.

Really should try spriting some more FF9 characters...
[Image: cloudff6.png]
Teeny tiny update. Amano styled portrait. Something's off about it. Also need to actually make Cloud dead and laughing and then I reckon this is done.
for the sake of quality, I humbly request you to not even try to call that thing an "amano styled" portrait. its bad already that you're making such a generic sprite edit, so thinking you're remotely close to match amano's work is beyond question.
(08-30-2012, 09:17 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]for the sake of quality, I humbly request you to not even try to call that thing an "amano styled" portrait. its bad already that you're making such a generic sprite edit, so thinking you're remotely close to match amano's work is beyond question.

I would like to ask exactly what part of this is edited? Granted on the amano artwork, though. I haven't captured the essence of his art but rather than helping you've told me to rename it. I humbly thank you for continuing to be helpful, Meta.
I think he means "generic" as in, "Cloud is kind of an overdone character." But they certainly work out the way you're going for.

Seriously Meta, You're not really helping at all by saying "Its horrible" and not adding anything context-wise.

You should talk about your feelings more.
If a sprite this small has been taking you a few years, I think it's time to let go. It's an aesthetically pleasing sprite, and it fits well in style - but that's all you can really say about it!
I would consider thinning out some of the details a little, though. Some of the frames are particularly cluttered in regards to translation of Cloud's design.
Part of the success of the original style is how well they simplified designs and translated them to such small sprites.

Again though, I'd consider only putting a little more work into it, where you can say "I think this is 'finished' enough for me" and work on something else. Start new with what you've learned, instead of trying to apply new ideas to an old one.
It's taken a few years cos I don't really sprite anymore; And by a few years, I meant I started it about 3 years ago, rediscovered it a month or so ago and decided to pick it up again. It doesn't mean I've literally been working on the thing for several years non-stop.
My largest custom sprite sheet took a few months, tops, and that's when I was actually motivated to finish it.

But ok, I shall try to reduce the clutter.
every FF6 sprite was built upong a single, master base. all of the humanoid character follow that procedure wich in turns makes them all look like sprite edits, and every sprite that follows the same line(either custom or not) is doomed to follow the same fate. desing wise, FF6's sprites arent particulary "good-looking" but rather functional, meant to be designed that way to make them all fit universally in the vast world that is FF6 without scaling/tiling problems. where FF6 shines is in its enemy desings and artwork, wich in turn are nothing but renders of what yoshitaka amano did for the game, reworked to fit under the snes's obvious limitations.

if you REALLY want to sprite something worth out of FF6, focus yourself where the game really shines: its tiles. as boring at that might sound, FF6 has some of the most beatifully constructed enviroments out of the entire SNES, alsmot side by side with seiken densetsu 3/chronno Trigger.(it should not surprise you that these three games were relased around the same time)