The VG Resource

Full Version: Computer issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yesterday morning my Dad logged onto the computer and absolutely everything on it was gone. He is working to get them back, but it's going kind of slowly, and he is on the computer practically 24/7 now, so I will not be on TSR much if at all for a while. We also cant download anything at the moment, so I cant get Skype back yet.
----------------------------
EDIT: If anyone who was on Skype has or can find any of the stuff I posted, please post it here, because I doubt I will be able to get it back.
Huh, that sucks. Hope you get it rectified before too long.
(08-13-2012, 06:42 PM)Sir Zabadabenabadaba Wrote: [ -> ]So yesterday morning my Dad logged onto the computer and absolutely everything on it was gone. He is working to get them back, but it's going kind of slowly, and he is on the computer practically 24/7 now, so I will not be on TSR much if at all for a while. We also cant download anything at the moment, so I cant get Skype back yet.
----------------------------
EDIT: If anyone who was on Skype has or can find any of the stuff I posted, please post it here, because I doubt I will be able to get it back.

I highly highly doubt everything is gone. you most likely got one of those rogue "security" programs that just hides all your files

in fact, i'm 99.9 percent sure that's the case.
just enable viewing hidden files and folders and then RUN MALWAREBYTES

tell you dad you know what to do
run malwarebytes, backup your files, and reformat

i can walk you through the entire process step by step if need be but you have to get your dad to let me help you first
That isn't quit what happened, when my Dad logged on yesterday morning, he had to set up a user account, and the entire computer had been set back to it's original settings and stuff. It was basically like we had a new computer again. I tried the view hidden files thing, but nothing showed up. Aslo Dad read somewhere that downloading anything will cause our old files to be overwritten.
so if you open My Computer, it says that the hard drive is near blank?

That doesn't make sense at all. Your files won't just delete themselves unless you did a system restore or purposely deleted them yourself.
Well is there any sort of virus that can do that?
I'm sure it's possible, but I highly doubt that that's the case.

Are you absolutely sure your stuff has been deleted?
You still have windirstat, right? Run it. Does all the stuff from before still pop up or is it all gone?
Windirstat is gone, too. My Dad probably wouldn't want me to re-install it.
And yes, I'm sure everything is gone.
install it again when he goes away and check

look in my computer and check how much hdd space you have first and tell me if it's near blank or whatever
we have gotten 287 GB back at this point, Dad still wont let me download anything.
EDIT: Except Malwarebytes, which I got and ran.
You dad must have launched a system restore or something

Are your old user accounts completely gone?
Yes they are, he had to completely restart everything. Also no, he didn't system restore.
It's going to be OK though, we are slowly getting things back from something my Dad installed.
Posting this here because I don't feel that it deserves its own topic, but the laptop died last night and now I cannot Skype with you Skype people anymore.
Or really be on TSR much in general, as my Dad is on this computer most of the time now trying to recover stuff thus me posting at 7: 30 AM.