The VG Resource

Full Version: The Fire Emblem thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Even though FE12 was skipped, the 3DS Fire Emblem (FE Awakening) was confirmed for North American and European release! You have no idea how psyched I am. Seriously. Pgfhtd. and since this is the first 3DS game with downloadable content, Intelligent Systems decided to redesign old FE characters.
Some are better than others Ouch!

Along with Awakening, Fire Emblems 7- 11 have been localized, so odds are you`ve heard of this game outside of SSB. The latest one released was Shadow Dragon (which was not too good) and the earliest was Blazing Sword (the one with Eliwood and Lyn).

So has anyone played this odd SRPG?
Who are those people wearing the names of my Lords?
(08-09-2012, 12:35 AM)Kriven Wrote: [ -> ]Who are those people wearing the names of my Lords?
Unfortunately, the redesigns are either really terrible or really good.

I apologize for showing some of the stranger stuff. Here, marry Eirika.
I remember seeing an edited version of that ike

where he's holding two swords and wearing sunglasses.

Gosh that Ike pic is THE WORST.

But anyways fe13 looks great (gameplay-wise) and I'm really looking forward to it (only reason I'm going to get the 3ds at all)!
The last one I loved was the first GBA one. I also played through the sequel but after that I could never get into the series again.

Micaiah seems to have had her breasts replaced by shiny balls...
Fire Emblem has always been in active competition with a few other series for my top video game series of all time. However, with the recent Fire Emblems (Shadow Dragon and up) and this newest Kakusei/Awakening, they are really changing quite a few things that are really bugging me to no end. The art style is something I've long held as a pinnacle of pixel art, especially with the GBA titles. I recognized with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn that the console versions would be higher-res art, and the style fit quite well, but it lacked a lot of the raw power and emotion that the over-the-top battle animations are well known for. Then these most recent DS ones continue in that line, and the art style slowly shifted to a more anime-ish/Final Fantasy look. Don't get me wrong, Fire Emblem as a game is still great, and as long as the true core mechanics stay intact (though that is becoming increasingly worrying with the advent of the "perma-death" having an off switch) I'll still get the games. It just seems to me that Fire Emblem is losing part of its soul, and this series should take up a different name for it's mantle in order to preserve Fire Emblem's "honor".
My brain hates Micaiah's redesign, but my body does not. As such, I am torn.

Is the idea that these are alternate versions of these characters, or do the actual characters somehow travel through time and space?
^ There is some weird other world gate that they travel through to meet these characters.

(08-09-2012, 09:11 AM)Nindo Wrote: [ -> ]Then these most recent DS ones continue in that line, and the art style slowly shifted to a more anime-ish/Final Fantasy look. Don't get me wrong, Fire Emblem as a game is still great, and as long as the true core mechanics stay intact (though that is becoming increasingly worrying with the advent of the "perma-death" having an off switch) I'll still get the games. It just seems to me that Fire Emblem is losing part of its soul, and this series should take up a different name for it's mantle in order to preserve Fire Emblem's "honor".

Fire Emblem is just trying to reach out more casual gamers (hence casual mode) and while I do agree the series has a more realistic look and has added a few gimmicks here and there, it has not gotten to the point where they should change the name of the franchise like some other games should. (like Final Fantasy and maybe Sonic)
recently have been replaying Sacred Stones. My magic units are actually way stronger than any of my physical units. Go figure!
(08-09-2012, 02:43 PM)canasniimehugh Wrote: [ -> ]^ There is some weird other world gate that they travel through to meet these characters.

So they're trying to tell me that that's actually Micaiah? THE Micaiah? QUEEN Micaiah?

And that scrawny little punk is Ike?

Clearly they have some good drugs in Japan.
The DLC art are produced entirely by commissioned fan artists (some of whom are actually professional, but still).
(08-09-2012, 03:48 PM)Kitsu Wrote: [ -> ]The DLC art are produced entirely by commissioned fan artists (some of whom are actually professional, but still).

Yeah, it is quite obvious why some look off in the first place. Honestly I never kept up with FE (as with Tales) due to it being mostly japan exclusive 50% of the time.

And why Micaiah looks like that, you can thank Sariya for her current appearance. Why are games who are known for their "honor" are trading it in for fanservice? no shit.
I forgot to mention in the OP that they announced a second batch of DLC a few days ago. The trailer has the heroes going to a fair and hot springs. At one point, they showed an illustration of three females characters in bikinis. This game is going a bit overboard with the fanservice. Unimpressed
But I love it.
(08-09-2012, 09:11 AM)Nindo Wrote: [ -> ]though that is becoming increasingly worrying with the advent of the "perma-death" having an off switch

Wait, what? No way? That was like the biggest deal ever. My god keeping those damn flying horses alive until getting hit by arrows didn't kill them instantly put so much pressure on you.
The good kind of pressure, though.
Pages: 1 2