The VG Resource

Full Version: dafuq Animals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Split from Favourite type discussion~]

I think that Pokemon created through man-made causes are rubbish (pun partly intended). I mean I can accept that they're formed, that's just science-fiction, but the fact that they're actually categorised as Pokemon is sort of stupid. If anything they should simply be animals, or have their own organism category.

^personal opinion
(08-02-2012, 08:24 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]I think that Pokemon created through man-made causes are rubbish (pun partly intended). I mean I can accept that they're formed, that's just science-fiction, but the fact that they're actually categorised as Pokemon is sort of stupid. If anything they should simply be animals, or have their own organism category.

^personal opinion

Actually none of the Pokemon I mentioned (Koffing, Trubbish, Grimer) are truly man-made. Grimer is created by moon-rays hitting sludge, Trubbish was formed through some sort of chemical reaction and from what I can gather, Koffing is naturally occurring. They just happen to resemble types of pollution.

Canonically the only man-made Pokemon are the Porygon line and (arguably) Mewtwo.

Also worth mentioning is the speculation that each evolution line is NOT its own species. "A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring." So according to this theory, there are around 15 species of Pokemon, not including Legendaries.

Off that tangent, I actually like Pokemon that resemble or use man-made objects. It's interesting to think - which came first? The Pokemon or the human invention?

"It is thought that Conkeldurr taught humans how to make concrete more than 2,000 years ago." - Conkeldurr's Black dex entry

"During the study of this POKéMON, it was discovered that its components are not found in nature." - Voltorb's Crystal dex entry

I'm not asking Game Freak to make a "MATURE" Pokemon game or a gritty reboot or anything but I would really like to see these questions explored.

Of course, I'm asking too much for a kid's game.
(08-02-2012, 08:24 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]I think that Pokemon created through man-made causes are rubbish (pun partly intended). I mean I can accept that they're formed, that's just science-fiction, but the fact that they're actually categorised as Pokemon is sort of stupid. If anything they should simply be animals, or have their own organism category.

^personal opinion

If they're would be simply animals...they would be Pokémon. Because, that's like, the animals of that world. And they being some kind of man-made freak accident...that rightfully make them monsters, as in Pocket Monsters.

Please don't bring up Cerulean gym or random illustration that has a dog.
Arguable points.
How I came upon the point that they should be animals.

But then again there are too many things wrong with the Pokemon world and this is really a minor point compared to the rest. Simply the existence of more than half the Pokemon generate countless contradictions that I could go on about for ever.
And seriously, only being able to say their own name? Really now.
(08-03-2012, 03:10 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]How I came upon the point that they should be animals.

Quote:Please don't bring up Cerulean gym or random illustration that has a dog.
(08-03-2012, 04:32 PM)Mutsukki Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2012, 03:10 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]How I came upon the point that they should be animals.

I was talking about the entire article, including the words, otherwise I would've linked to the picture of the dog. I actually thought of that picture when you said that and was like "hell he's gonna mention that if I link to this article oh well what the heck".
(08-03-2012, 05:29 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2012, 04:32 PM)Mutsukki Wrote: [ -> ]

I was talking about the entire article, including the words, otherwise I would've linked to the picture of the dog. I actually thought of that picture when you said that and was like "hell he's gonna mention that if I link to this article oh well what the heck".

But the article basically implies what I meant with that sentence: Anime stuff doesn't count, because they weren't really sure of what to do with the world at the beggining (sometimes they also forget) and the games have gradually stopping doing that (and it's only Pokedex stuff)
Well humans exist and they're not Pokemon.
I'm pretty sure that Pokémon aren't the only creatures allowed to be the only "animals" in their world. There can be normal animals, Pokémon are really just special inhabitants along with the other animals I thought. As far as I know though they took away the normal animals in the later seasons I guess because they either couldn't find a place for them or to spare any confusion as most people presume Pokémon to be the primary "animals" in the Pokémon world. Either way my theory is that normal animals can still exist along with Pokémon, but most of the time Pokémon are preferred as pets over the regular animals and what have you. Just my thought.
I think that there are no normal animals in the Pokémon world because the humans eated them all??
Which is why only later the chief on the MS ANNE talks about food made out of Pokémon as when there were no animals left to eat, they started to use Pokémon as food?

*proceeds to cook a pikachu*
The anime has many normal animals.
I consider the anime and the games separate canons, as does the majority of the fandom.
I do to, mostly. I mean stuff like how there's a kid on every corner wanting to battle anybody who steps in front of them, that's only in the games. But I mean Brock's still the first Gym Leader, so I don't see why the games shouldn't have real animals while the anime should.
I consider Pok'emon to be fictional, even in the Pok'emon World, being living, collectable figurines. Kinda like Pok'emon Rumble, sans the chibi.
This is why it is not animal abuse and why Pok'emon meat doesn't exist. They don't die because they can't. It also adds logic to the presense of real life animals. All the Pok'edex entries, like in real life, are but tags of flavor text to make the aquisition more interesting.
As if a mouse can actually conduct electricity and kittens can mate with blue whales. Ha.

That's my theory.
Pages: 1 2 3