The VG Resource

Full Version: Pixel artist needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this one guy sent me a message that he has an almost finished script dump of Sutte Hakkun. I've hacked the game numerous times in the past and tried to translate it but I've always failed since I don't know Japanese at all. I know how to hack though, and this time I have a really ambitious translator, so I guess this will finally be it!
YEESSS.

but

I'm no pixel artist. So I ask you, could you like, design a title screen?
I had a vision of a pretty much like the original, you know, letters-inside-a-cloud-approach to it. Though instead of "すってはっくん", it would simply say "Sutte Hakkun".

this is the original:
[Image: IWK86.png]

THERE ARE TWO DESIGN RULES though
one:
[Image: OKPAL.png]
these are the four sacred palettes you are allowed to use. what i mean is that one 8x8 tile can have only colors from ONE of those palettes. you get the idea

two:
there is actually only one rule

But seriously, if someone could take this up it'd be awesome. you get your name in the credits AND i will send you a personal thank you letter VIA MAIL

if you want to
i can try it later today if you're interested.

could you divide the original title in 8x8 grids, as it is stored in the rom, though? That will make my work thousands of times easier.
i don't get what you mean
divide the title in 8x8 grids?

this is how it appears in the ROM (palette 1)
[Image: dAuPu.png]

no size limits really because the tilemap can be edited and there's loads of free space
this should suffice! thanks~
While this isn't helping... I'm psyched.
i started the work on this, it's still a wip

[Image: eIHZg.png]

the 8x8 tiles obey the palette rule (at least on the first half of the word), you can check it for yourself.
Wow looks pretty tight, though I'm not entirely sure about the e, a, and second t. Why are they noticeably thinner than the rest?
But yeah totally fantastic thanks man. I'm sure it'll shape out to be....

...radical
The second T fits to the same context as the original, with perspective going into play. The e and a not so much...

And indeed, radical.
'e' and 'a' are thinner to mimic the circles in 'す' and 'は'. I can make them thicker if you want, but I think it'll lose part of the accuracy. As for the second 't', that was me overlooking things, it should be as thick as the first 't'.
(08-03-2012, 05:34 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: [ -> ]Yes definitely thicker. I kinda see what you mean by "sticking to the style" but I don't think that's really how that goes.e
I went to a typography course in school and faiked twice but in the end f i think everytgiå

n,o way you gofs djrr,
HUH oikeesti mi

Someone drank too much again. Tongue
mmmmmmngh yeah, sorry about that. :X

But so yeah, what I meant to say is that if possible, try to keep all characters thick. None of the original japanese glyphs are that thin completely, just barely partially.
Take a look at any non-grotesque typeface. This is Adobe Garamond's e. The reason of why there's fat parts and thin parts is because before modern age, fonts were (well, many still are) designed by hand, using calligraphic brushes. Check this out:
[Image: UoJuk.png]
hope that makes sense

i'm not saying that DESIGN A NEW FONT fdshgfdsfg but try to keep all characters consistent. i'll take readability and aesthetics over looking-like-the-original-ness.

AWESOME YEAH
@mighty's quote: Im not sure if that was a legit criticism or not anymore

...oikeesti mi... heh...
Sorry Gors I didn't mean to post drunk :<
Hope my post above made sense. It'll look either way awesome I guarantee that