The VG Resource

Full Version: Pixel art game - Iron Crusade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone!

We have create a pixel art game for Android and spent for it a lot of time. Really a lot of time. It will be really interesting to get some feedback about our game, cause it was really not easy to do pixel art....

Genre of our game: action, strategy (close to "Worms" style)
It's a turn based action in pixel art style. We tried to do our game as much close to old 8 bit console games as possible. So graphic and sound - all in one style.
You need to conquer evil planet beating level by level. At first you have a simple tank. Then you can purchase a new tanks, upgrades weapons, get achievements.

It's free - you don't need to spend your money.

Few more words about the game:

Game requirements:
1. Mobile phone Smile
2. Android 1.6 and up
3. Screen resolution 320x480 and up
4. Open GL support.
5. 15Mb of free space

Main Features:
- realistic physic
- old school graphic and sound
- 23 levels
- 9 upgradable weapons
- 3 unique player tanks
- variable enemies and bosses at each planet!
- full destructible environment

Link:Iron Crusade

And some screen shots:

[Image: 2s13m8j.png]

[Image: vcw7li.png]
Moved to GameDev as it fits there better I think. Either way, please add some more infotmation about your game to your post. What kind of game is it, how does it play? Who are the main characters, what is the story? People don't like to have to click links in order to get the information they need to decide whether your game is worth a shot - besides you messed up the link, you should add the colon after "https" and before "//". Genki ^_^
Thanks. I have updated information and fixed link.
Now it seems working.

Any questions - will be glad to reply.
Any suggestions - welcome
Just saying, advertising a game solely because it has "sprite" graphics is a bad move imo. We're the Spriters Resource, yes, but this feature alone doesn't make a good game. (Not implying it's bad, though; I am just saying that in order to advertise a game, you need to explain all its features instead of "oh this has sprites").

As for the sprites, they aren't very good. The lines are jagged, as well as shading. This is not pixelart, this is a lot of oekakis. Pixelart requires precise pixel placement and this has none. Due to that, the graphics look flat and boring imo. It's not unbearably bad, but it is not the best, that's for sure.

I won't give ant input on the gameplay because I have no way to test it atm. Just have my criticism in mind.
(07-31-2012, 04:25 AM)WyseG Wrote: [ -> ]We tried to do our game as much close to old 8 bit console games as possible.

Ehh, no you didn't.
Learn what that means before you go advertising yourself incorrectly.

The graphics look like unsmoothed vectors rather than full-on pixel art.

Perhaps post a gameplay video, as I'm unable to try the actual game for myself at the moment.
I was about to try it, but honestly, I usually refrain from loading apps with a bunch of dubious rights. I wouldn't know why you'd want my precise GPS location or check my networks. I can see why you want to access the internets (for ads, I assume), but I don't like it when an app wants the rights to check my phone number and who I call.
I know that many people our there don't care or even bother with these things, but I personally prefer it when rights are kept at a minimum, especially when it comes to accessing personal information.
Regret to hear so much critics for graphic...
I thought it's nice Smile. In defense can say only that all pixel art was made only by one person and in rather short time. Moreover we needed to do almost an all art triple time - for different screen resolutions (small, medium and high res).

As for video, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0B74Wytw4

Anyway, thanks to all for your comments.
(08-01-2012, 08:05 AM)WyseG Wrote: [ -> ]In defense can say only that all pixel art was made only by one person and in rather short time.

(07-31-2012, 04:25 AM)WyseG Wrote: [ -> ]and spent for it a lot of time. Really a lot of time.
Umm...?
(07-31-2012, 04:25 AM)WyseG Wrote: [ -> ]We tried to do our game as much close toold 8 bit console games as possible.
Quote:[Image: vcw7li.png]
...Welp.
i formaly request vipershark to analyze and do a review of this game.
i just played it
it's a worms clone

that's really all there is to it
thanks viper. i didn't expect much of it either.

it bugs me why would it require acess to your contatcs and such.