The VG Resource

Full Version: Titan's Pixelbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I guess I'll use this space to place all of the un-perfect pixel creations I do in MS Paint and get judgement on them. Here's the first of them. A sprite I created for a platformer I'm working on called "San-San". Any feedback, judgement, conviction, harsh responses are appreciated.

[Image: hgvZb.png]

I created him to be 16 bit to be easier to animate, thought to tell you the truth, other then size, I don't know too much about 16 bit sprites as far as coloring and everything goes.

Thanks for stopping by and for those who commented and left feedback, know that you're awesome.

~Later.
Just don't say 16bit because these terms are just weird and noone really comprehends them if they even mean anything Cute

You're colors are very similar to each other. You should increase the contrast (make bright shades brighter and dark shades darker) so they are easier to distinguish. Also, try not to simply follow your outline with shades, but try to convey the volume and threedimensional shape of the object.
Another thing which is neat for colors is hue shifting. Especially for yellow, it works wonders. For example, you can make darker shades more orange (whcih also increases the contrast, too).
Coloring isn't all the things needed to do a 16-Bit sprite. Your sprite probably have got a 16-B colors, but the image looks like a Sun in an Atari. In few words, learn about 16-Bit spriting.
Actually, unless you're aiming for a specific game's style for the SNES or Genesis (or Turbografx?), or you're hacking a game with your own art, you really don't need to concern yourself with the true definition of 16-bit. With that, Previous is right, it needs more contrast. You could probably get away with reducing your palette down a bit. 4 shades of one color on a sprite that small is kind of ridiculous, you probably only need 3 shades of yellow, possibly only 2 (if I'm wrong on that, though, someone else correct me).

If I may ask though, what is it? A flower? A sun? What's the object's purpose?
Let's see how I want to tackle these responses...

@
Quote: Previous:You're colors are very similar to each other. You should increase the contrast (make bright shades brighter and dark shades darker) so they are easier to distinguish. Also, try not to simply follow your outline with shades, but try to convey the volume and threedimensional shape of the object.
Another thing which is neat for colors is hue shifting. Especially for yellow, it works wonders. For example, you can make darker shades more orange (whcih also increases the contrast, too)

Thank you. I completely agree with you know that I see what you're talking about. The colors do kind of merge together into one block-y looking sprite. As you can see, I took your advice and I added more contrast to the sprite and used shades of orange for the...well, for the shading.

[Image: DtFBz.png]

Next!

Quote: Five Stars:Coloring isn't all the things needed to do a 16-Bit sprite. Your sprite probably have got a 16-B colors, but the image looks like a Sun in an Atari. In few words, learn about 16-Bit spriting.

I most certainly will. I show 16 bit because the style looked easier to start with then me trying to do something completely out my range like say... a Pokemon Black & White sprite. I'll use Google and see if I can dig up anything on 16 bit style of spriting but if you know of any articles I'd be more then happy to read them if you can provide some links.

And lastly...

Quote:Tellis:---Previous is right, it needs more contrast. You could probably get away with reducing your palette down a bit. 4 shades of one color on a sprite that small is kind of ridiculous, you probably only need 3 shades of yellow, possibly only 2 (if I'm wrong on that, though, someone else correct me).

I also took that into consideration too. I narrowed down my colors to just three: A midtone, highlight and shade. Thank you for the advice because I think I was trying to pack too much into it.

Quote:Tellis:If I may ask though, what is it? A flower? A sun? What's the object's purpose?

You most certainly MAY ask! It's SUPPOSE to be a sun (sun sprite) but I can definitely see how it looks more like a sunFLOWER. He's suppose to be the main character in a platformer I'm making. I think once I get a little more advanced and I find my own style, this will be one of the ones I rework. If I could pick a style to ste---*AHEM* EMULATE, I would want to be able to emulate Paul Robertson's (did the Scott Pilgrim game) style of doing sprites. His commercial work always has some kind of playfulness and energy to it and I love the way his characters are designed.
[Image: L8xD7.png]

The way your light shade bands the upper outline makes the sphere look really flat as only a line at the top appears illuminated like the brim of a coin.
You don't have to limit the use of yout ourline colour to the outline only, you can use it to shade, too.
If you want it to look more like a (stylized) sun, I'd suggest adding more pointy spikes instead of rather round petals.

Generally, I'd advice you not to work on a white background. Use a more neutral color instead (that doesn't clash with your sprite's colours). Moreover, the antialiasding pixels you out on the ourside will not work on different backgrounds as you can see in my image (top right), they will stick out - besides they don't make the lines look smoother and are not necessary on that scale.
(07-29-2012, 06:37 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ][Image: L8xD7.png]

The way your light shade bands the upper outline makes the sphere look really flat as only a line at the top appears illuminated like the brim of a coin.
You don't have to limit the use of yout ourline colour to the outline only, you can use it to shade, too.
If you want it to look more like a (stylized) sun, I'd suggest adding more pointy spikes instead of rather round petals.

Generally, I'd advice you not to work on a white background. Use a more neutral color instead (that doesn't clash with your sprite's colours). Moreover, the antialiasding pixels you out on the ourside will not work on different backgrounds as you can see in my image (top right), they will stick out - besides they don't make the lines look smoother and are not necessary on that scale.

Wow. Surprise I've read a couple of different threads on this site and they weren't kidding when they called you the best. I really didn't want round petals on my sun but I didn't know how to do the pointed edges like you did. I'm absolutely floored because more or less, that's the sketch I did for the character.

So my take away lesson is no working on a white background. Use a neutral color, probably a complementary color. No antialising on small sprites. Gotcha.

Still rocked by how well that small sun sprite looks.
(07-29-2012, 10:22 AM)TitanZetta Wrote: [ -> ]I really didn't want round petals on my sun but I didn't know how to do the pointed edges like you did.

Well unfortunately I don't see how you're going to make him look like a sun then, because the points are one of the most characteristic features of a sun. Anything else will more or less just look like a flower.
Next up, the antagonist for my game, Tsuki. He's a moon (a blue moon, get it?). I followed what advice I got here and made sure I applied it to this sprite. Hopefully I've done better this go round and have no completely sucked.

[Image: 0LNQG.png]
I suggest you work on larger pieces, there's really nothing to comment on.

Here's an idea, work on a bigger version of that character and see how it goes!
I'd suggest to make it bigger than the sun's core so the characters are of about equal size. You also could desaturate the colors to make it a more greyish-blue.

I don't think there'S more to be said as it is just a tiny shphere.
Bigger pieces scare me but I'll give it the ol' post secondary school try.
please try next time something more elaborated than a shape with more shapes glued to it, so we can actually provide feedback on something that didn't took 3 minutes.

take your time, explore your concepts, elaborate. a tini 10x10 circle with two eyes on it is literally nothing.
(07-29-2012, 11:15 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]please try next time something more elaborated than a shape with more shapes glued to it, so we can actually provide feedback on something that didn't took 3 minutes.

take your time, explore your concepts, elaborate. a tini 10x10 circle with two eyes on it is literally nothing.

So here's a slightly bigger piece I did last night. I colored it this morning before work. Definitely will work on this concept throughout the day and update later on tonight.

[Image: Hknis.png]
And I'm off work! YAY! Here's the picture finished. Making it up as I went along, I figured this creature could use some tentacles. I based the eyes off of some done by one of my favorite spriter, Paul Robertson. I don't know what I'll use this for, just made it up as I went along.

[Image: LKTsc.png]
Pages: 1 2