The VG Resource

Full Version: SimCopter Textures Help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of looking through the files in Maxis' pretty bad looking game called SimCopter for some goodies. I then came across this wierd not-a-BMP .BMP file called SIM3D.BMP which I would assume contains most of the textures for the game. Looking at it through a hex editor reveals that this file doesn't have a proper header like most bitmap files should have. I would assue that it is also compressed as well.

Does anybody know how to get this file to open?

Here's a link if someone want's to take a crack at it:
-SIM3D."BMP" https://www.dropbox.com/s/75kldv4vkzgl2dt/SIM3D.BMP ~357.12 KB
Moving this over to QI&T.
(07-24-2012, 03:21 PM)Devicho Wrote: [ -> ]Moving this over to QI&T.

Very well, maybe someone will help me in here.
I don't think it really is compressed. I was able to view some things with TiledGGD (8bpp, linear, 256px width), but I wasn't able to find anything resembling a palette besides some weird gradients. Palettes might be in another file?

The thing with file extensions is that they don't mean nothing. Linux users know this, Windows is still pretending they have some sort of meaning. However, file extensions are mere eyecandy and make it easier for users to see what their files are probably supposed to be. In this case, BMP really just means "bitmap" and doesn't necessarily need to refer to the Windows BitMap format.
I got the feeling they sort of "archived" a few graphic chunks there they then ould just have to copy to graphics hardware memory or something.

I can't help more than that, though. Maybe you can find some palette stuff among the other files?
(07-25-2012, 12:47 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it really is compressed. I was able to view some things with TiledGGD (8bpp, linear, 256px width), but I wasn't able to find anything resembling a palette besides some weird gradients. Palettes might be in another file?

The thing with file extensions is that they don't mean nothing. Linux users know this, Windows is still pretending they have some sort of meaning. However, file extensions are mere eyecandy and make it easier for users to see what their files are probably supposed to be. In this case, BMP really just means "bitmap" and doesn't necessarily need to refer to the Windows BitMap format.
I got the feeling they sort of "archived" a few graphic chunks there they then ould just have to copy to graphics hardware memory or something.

I can't help more than that, though. Maybe you can find some palette stuff among the other files?

Awesome, I tried out what you suggested about using TiledGGD and this is what came out.

[Image: SIM3D.BMP.png?dl=1]
Here are the settings I used in TiledGGVery Sad
-Offset: 0x74
-Panel Size: 256x2560 (to make sure I got everything)
-Format: 8bpp
-Endianness: Big End
-Mode: Linear

With that I believe riddle to these unusual pics has been solved. All that is left is to get the pics sorted and ready for upload. Thanks! Smile