The VG Resource

Full Version: Crash Bandicoot Warped sounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following contains all the sounds you can hear in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped. I have used the PAL version to rip, so all voice files (which are for some reason cut up into multiple parts) have 5 different versions: English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
These files were very much jumbled for some reason, so I haven't sorted them (I also wouldn't be able to distinguish Spanish and Italian too well since I know pretty much nothing of either language). The duplicates however have been taken out as much as I could find them.
It's one folder with all files in it, you'll need to download all parts for the submission to work. If required, I might try and sort the files, but if it doesn't make much of a difference, the rar, split into 4 parts, is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1zja8n8zyrza91p
http://www.mediafire.com/?87uduon1bexaz7b
http://www.mediafire.com/?a9t9cj5p0cmh9nn
http://www.mediafire.com/?dg6t3m3dy6bg3kb
Seems pretty concise. Could I just ask what sample rate you ripped these sounds at, and what you ripped them with? I may consider ripping the Japanese version of the sounds.
I used a program called PSound to rip the files with. It just converts the files to a lossless wav, right now I'm looking through my iso of Gex 3 as an example, it's consistently saying it's 11025 Hz Mono. Wouldn't surprise me if the same goes for all other sound files you'd find in other PSX games.
(07-12-2012, 02:41 AM)Burby Wrote: [ -> ]I used a program called PSound to rip the files with. It just converts the files to a lossless wav, right now I'm looking through my iso of Gex 3 as an example, it's consistently saying it's 11025 Hz Mono. Wouldn't surprise me if the same goes for all other sound files you'd find in other PSX games.
Ehh, PSound doesn't always pick the right sample rate. Try Sonic Unleashed PS2 for example. It's all sped up and weird shit.
I did notice that all the voice files are at half their original speed, and some files did seem slightly sped up, but it's also notable that some files did sound different on other platforms, for instance Gex 3 had some sound effects that were faster on the N64 than they were on the playstation, and when I ripped it from the playstation with PSound, said sounds played at the speed the N64 sounds played at. It may be the playstation itself that makes the sounds play differently, but then again I haven't tried any alternatives aside from a java program called jpsxdec, which sometimes rips entirely different files.
(07-13-2012, 06:39 AM)Burby Wrote: [ -> ]I did notice that all the voice files are at half their original speed, and some files did seem slightly sped up, but it's also notable that some files did sound different on other platforms, for instance Gex 3 had some sound effects that were faster on the N64 than they were on the playstation, and when I ripped it from the playstation with PSound, said sounds played at the speed the N64 sounds played at. It may be the playstation itself that makes the sounds play differently, but then again I haven't tried any alternatives aside from a java program called jpsxdec, which sometimes rips entirely different files.

PSound rips audio data at a fixed frequency, meaning that you'll have to check if the sample is at the right pitch/speed. If the ripped samples don't match up right with the game (like if a 22050 Hz sample is supposed to be played at 11025 Hz) then I use Audacity and set the sample rate and match up the Project Rate to sample rate and export.
(07-24-2012, 12:23 AM)Nero1024 Wrote: [ -> ]PSound rips audio data at a fixed frequency, meaning that you'll have to check if the sample is at the right pitch/speed. If the ripped samples don't match up right with the game (like if a 22050 Hz sample is supposed to be played at 11025 Hz) then I use Audacity and set the sample rate and match up the Project Rate to sample rate and export.

Man, ripping PSX sounds doesn't sound like much fun. That's a shame too because I really want to submit the PSX MMX games' sounds eventually.
Either way, these are all up now! Great job, must have been a heck of a lot of work.
Recently I had a bit of a talk with DM Dokuro about this (for those who don't know him, he makes music on Breakbit), he said the voice files were intentionally saved at a lower speed to give a higher possible quality by speeding it up. I don't exactly know how that works, but I think I can sort of wrap my head around a theory for it. Anyway, slowed down and sped up sound files are still usable either way.