The VG Resource

Full Version: Ouya
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So uh... hey guys, where's the Ouya thread?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Everything you need to know is on the page. (Or at least everything I could tell you)
Okay. Open source gaming console with indie developers on board - more than doubled their kickstarter goal (of a million bucks) in the first 12 hours.

As a community full of gamers (and some indie game developers) I'm interested to hear your opinions.
Funded it for $150 when it was at about $500 - This is an incredible concept, I hope that they go far with it. This could be incredible, or it could be an utter fail.

I'm looking forward to the fact that it will be a gaming machine capable of being more. And not in a some-what capable manner like a modded console.
From the word go people will be able to develop applications for it. That excites me more than anything - Android mobile devices have this, but are limited to touch screen control and moderate processors.
It could be amazing, but I can see this coming out and the games all being ports of games that have long been out and nothing really taking advantage of the power.
I've never looked at an i-Pad or Android advice and seen a game and thought "I have to play that!" Yes some games are good, great even, but as a game for the big screen? No.

Thanks to Microsoft and their "You must be on us first or not at all" XBLA policy I can see this always being behind as, as awesome as it is, a deal with Microsoft is going to put more dollar signs in your eyes than this. If Valve made something similar, giving it more power, and having it run Steam it would be a lot more interesting.

You also have OnLive to compete with, and no doubt Apple will make a new 'gaming' Apple-TV (or even some form of TV, controller link-able i-Pad). I think the 'best' thing they could do is to get Blizzard on board. WoW, Star Craft II an Diablo 3 easily playable without a PC? I can see that making money - but this doesn't seem to have the power to pull that off (and it's Android).

This could be something huge, but I fear it will just become a portable XBLA/PSN (with a load of poorly made crap bursting from it) - which is kinda cool, but not what it sounds like it wants to be.
Heard of it, would fund it but I have to save my money for more important things.

It's an interesting concept but I'd like to see what they could do with it. It promises quite a few things despite being operated on a Android OS but I want to see these in action before I buy into it. What does surprise me is that it managed to get the funds it needed in one day. Wouldn't be surprised if it got more by the 9th.
[Image: 1zwa7.jpg]
I can imagine that I could be making games (as part of a company) for this in the future, which is great.
I always feared that if I was to get in the gaming industry, I'd be limited to PC and mobile devicesm but this could mean I could be making games for a real concole, which is a dream come true.
I must not get ahead of myself, but this opens new and greater possibilities for me as a (future professional) game artist.
Frankly? That article is just going on about how it won't have AAA titles, it's easy for piracy, etc. - but ultimately, those aren't the reasons I want it. I'm interested in the homebrew, the small time developers. I know that they might be far and few between because of the security issues, etc. - but in reality, the thing doesn't exist yet, there's little detail regarding the matters, and accusations are being thrown because of it.

The survey is to keep the morons happy. That's what a lot of this is for, in fact. People who don't know better.

I have my doubt but I still want to demonstrate that there is an interest in this sort of thing.

Christ, even I am thinking of devoting some time to develop something for this thing. And I don't take time out to scratch my own balls, never mind spend months to a year on something ultimately pointless.
You know, most may not agree with that article's claims, but i don't see anything untrue in it.
I really like the idea of the Ouya, and I'm excited like most everyone else, but most of the concerns
that were adressed in that article are the exact thoughts I had after looking through the kickstarter last week.
The whole presentation of the Ouya is vauge and shady, and although I really hope they deliver on it, I'm not
going to pin my hopes on it.
By no means do I disagree, but everything needs to be seen from both sides.

My money is on this thing being released, albeit not with a hundred amazing games in a year or two after release, but a few special indie classics, some nice homebrew applications, and it'll let me get rid of my shitty little HD network video streamer, since XBMC was just confirmed to be in development for Android.
Another intersting article, this time from indie developers.
i really dont see the ouya giving much of a direct line of competition to big publishers and really helping the industry at all

neat idea though
I wouldn't mind seeing another console on the market, but I'm not sure I trust these consoles to ever actually get built, shipped or work. If, in the end, they do -- great! But I can't wager a full 100 bucks on a Kickstarter Promise.
*copies and pastes personal opinion from other forum*

I've never been a big fan of console gaming, not so much because of the games available on it (and how they're only from commercial companies), but it's mostly been the gameplay. I mean, most of the time they're pretty comfortable, but I seriously can't see a reason to prefer a right analog stick to a mouse for shooters. Racing can also be a bit tricky to get used to. Not to mention the fact that it's basically impossible to mod console games or fiddle around with their resources (unless you get started with ROM/ISO hacking Tongue).

So while this looks like a good idea and all (allowing indie/homebrew games on a console is pretty big), I'm not getting too excited. Personally I think I'll stick with PC gaming for years to come.
Pages: 1 2