The VG Resource

Full Version: Merging Gamecube bmd models?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have extracted a Gamecube model, which consists of different parts in bmd format. I can view the parts in bmdviewer just fine, but if i try to use the 'merge model' option, all additional parts are placed at the center of the main body. Is there a way to find the correct spots, where the extra parts are supposed to be?
(07-05-2012, 04:42 PM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]I have extracted a Gamecube model, which consists of different parts in bmd format. I can view the parts in bmdviewer just fine, but if i try to use the 'merge model' option, all additional parts are placed at the center of the main body. Is there a way to find the correct spots, where the extra parts are supposed to be?

BMD view doesn't keep their original positions, you'll have to use a picture of your model. I had to do the same for Makar from WW. But it's better to use the BMD plugin for 3ds Max because it keeps the rigging intact.
(07-06-2012, 03:38 AM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]But it's better to use the BMD plugin for 3ds Max because it keeps the rigging intact.

Well, that's too bad because i don't have 3ds Max and i can't download a trial without registering.
Well yeah, you do have to register to get the student version on Autodesk's website but it's worth it IMO. From what I remember it wasn't too much hassle as you don't have to actually participate in anything like they say.
(07-06-2012, 05:03 AM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that's too bad because i don't have 3ds Max and i can't download a trial without registering.

students.autodesk.com
free trial of 2010-2012, 4 year duration
profit~
(07-06-2012, 12:41 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: [ -> ]students.autodesk.com
profit~

Doesn't that require some sort of verification, that you actually are a student? Anyway, Autodesk asks for way too much personal information to just download a trial of their software.
(07-07-2012, 05:37 AM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2012, 12:41 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: [ -> ]students.autodesk.com
profit~

Doesn't that require some sort of verification, that you actually are a student? Anyway, Autodesk asks for way too much personal information to just download a trial of their software.

Why not pirate it like any other sensible person, or better yet demand that there should be a BMD plugin for Blender.
(07-07-2012, 07:45 AM)Nero1024 Wrote: [ -> ]Why not pirate it like any other sensible person

because i think it's not worth getting my ass sued off for a bunch of Gamecube models.

Quote:or better yet demand that there should be a BMD plugin for Blender
Plugin development for Blender is very slow and a lot of plugins are for the older version (up to 2.49). Even for a popular game like Skyrim there are no updated plugins for the current builds. I still don't understand why so many people focus on 3ds max, because Blender should be just fine for low-poly stuff like game modeling.
Actually what I did was mostly just make up stuff to put in the forms (like Location would be "something town" or whatever). I can't remember if they accepted random numbers or all zeros as ZIP codes or not but you could try. I don't know of any other way to get it besides a pirated version or buying it and neither of those solutions work for you, sorry.
For the info. Just use real names that you know and just make up the zip codes. Kinda mess around with it.
(07-07-2012, 05:37 AM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't that require some sort of verification, that you actually are a student?
no
thats all you need to know
its how i got version 2012 (which sucks, dont get it)
and version 2011 (i have yet to try it out though)
(07-07-2012, 06:57 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2012, 05:37 AM)Maxim Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't that require some sort of verification, that you actually are a student?
no
I'd go with 2009 or either 2010 because the newer versions suck monkeyballs especially in terms of Memory usage.
(07-09-2012, 06:46 AM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2012, 06:57 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: [ -> ]
no
I'd go with 2009 or either 2010 because the newer versions suck monkeyballs especially in terms of Memory usage.

What about version 7?
(07-09-2012, 08:33 AM)Nero1024 Wrote: [ -> ]What about version 7?

9 and 10 have the best features, anything below gets complicated, 11 and 12 kinda screw up some features and the stuff they added doesnt help
except 10 has exporting issues
Okay, i found a trial of 3ds max 9 and installed the bmd plugin. When i try to run the script and import a bmd file, it says:

"The startpath contains spaces (unable to run DosCommand). Place "bmdview.exe" in a path without spaces and update the startpath value in the "Bmodel.ms" file."

This only happens, if the "export textures" option is checked. I can import the mesh with bones, but now i can see, that this isn't helpful either. What i was trying to do was to import the kart models from Mario Kart Double Dash and check, where exactly the tires and axis are supposed to go. There are bones in the model, but not where i expected them. I guess, it's better to rip these models with 3d Ripper DX in the menu, but that program doesn't work for me, because i have a 64 bit system.
Pages: 1 2