The VG Resource

Full Version: Improving another member's sheet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following question is more or less for the mods/admins, but I welcome everyone's opinion as well:
Let's say that someone has already ripped something, and they have either made some errors
(such as fragments of background left over), or have missed some frames completely.
Now let's say I went and ripped all the same stuff (plus missing/additional frames if applicable).
How would I go about getting the fixed/updated stuff up here without stepping on anyone's toes?

I assume TSR wants to have the most accurate and complete sheets they can get, which is why I ask.
Personally, I'd say that you should be able to. As you said tSR wants the best sheets possible, and just because somebody already made a sheet isn't a reason to stop you from doing so.

What I would recommend doing, however, is to use as much of the previous sheet in yours as possible. I mean, in some cases you may have to re-rip the entire sheet (like if the palettes are incorrect), in which case you should obviously use none of the old sheet. However, if the other member simply missed out some stuff, you can just rip the missing bits and then add it to the sheet (or make a new sheet, using sprites from the old one). That way you can also give credit to the person who ripped the old sheet, so that their work is still appreciated (and because it's generally nice Genki ^_^)

I'm no mod or admin though, and I haven't done this before myself, so I could be wrong, this is just what I think.

By the way this reminds me, I was gonna fix some old sheets myself, so I'd like to know the details on this topic too.
Let me quickly quote from the sprite sheet guidelines:

(02-29-2012, 10:57 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]Sheet Completing
It's common for the rippers to overlook some sprite frames or elements, be it from forgetting about it or not ripping them because of difficulty. If you can rip those missing bits of the sprite sheet, or want to correct something that isn't right, feel free to fix it.

By submitting a sheet, you have the rights to limit its use and avoid theft with credit tags, but a genuine edit that completes the sprite sheet is not considered theft or any illicit action. Thus, do not complain if someone did the work of completing your rip for you.

Observations:
  • If you're planning to fix/add missing frames to a sheet, please arrange them in a way that don't stick out too much from the original arrangement.
  • Make clear what graphics you ripped and you didn't rip in the sheet, to avoid confusion.
  • Do not remove the original sprite sheet's credit tag, if it has any.
  • Do not claim that you ripped everything. That is sprite theft and you'll be severely punished.
  • When submitting, make the thread in the right console section, explain that your sheet is corrective (you only fixed parts of it) and link to the original sheet.

So basically, if you want to complete a sheet, feel free to do so. Keep what can be kept and discard erroneous contents if necessary.

If a sheet is all wrong, you might submit an all new rip. Feel free to mention the original ripper, though! See this sheet for reference (Boo's rip had wrong shadows and outlines).
Hah, I remember reading that now but forgot all about it Shy But good to know that I was basically right.
Also if you're tile ripping the sheet as a replacement for one that wasn't tile ripped then that's completely fine as well because that means yours has every sprite used (and even not used) in the game's data, plus the proper palettes (like this one, there was one that existed before mine that was ripped by Des but was incomplete so since I would already have to piece together all the tiles to find the ones it was missing, it was only logical for me to replace the whole sheet with my own since they'd have the correct palettes and all).
Thank you guys very much.
I hadn't thought to look on the submissions board to find an answer regarding submissions.
...Seems really obvious now. o.o
I appreciate your swift reply and your professionalism (that is, not yelling at me for being a dolt).
I'll do my best to fix and organize the sheets in question and will make threads for them where applicable.