The VG Resource

Full Version: I want to play [Neotokyo°] with you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's always unfortunate when a good game gets overshadowed. Deadly Premonition versus Lords of Shadow (heh. it definitely got overshadowed, leoegheguhe)
It's even worse when a legitimately good game goes completely under the radar.
Half-Life 2's modding scene is absolutely gigantic. Not only do mods have to contend with big wigs like Counter-Strike: Source and Dystopia, they also have to deal with often times, being ran by people who are just not experienced with developing a title.
Especially in the modding scene; it's important to always be working on a game. A missed patch or scheduling conflict can mean the absolute and final death of your game, which unfortunately is the failing of the mod

Neotokyo°
[Image: Neotokyo_ICON_by_raptor02.jpg]

Counter-Strike took a kind of; let's say "casual" for the sake of simplicity, take on tactical shooters. Coordinating with your team was effective, but not necessary if the individual player was skilled enough. Sometimes, a group of skilled players working in complete opposites could handle another team practically by themselves, without even working towards completing objectives.
Inventory management and using the best gear quickly became the way to shoot yourself to that coveted numero uno spot on the scoreboard. A powerful metagame isn't something that detracts against a titles goodness. Yet it's metagame became so essentially broken and manipulated that the developers were forced to toy with the underlining backbone of it: implementing an economy, changing the way the weapons worked, and essentially changing the whole game.
I think it's easy to see how that casual approach to tactical shooters defined the majority of co-operative multiplayer FPS. You could win using tactics or sheer brute force, and many developers would come to toy around with the idea. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 used arcade-style action to influence the mechanics in a faster paced fashion. More notable examples arise, but let's get to the reason I brought you here.

Neotokyo is a game I really enjoy and want to play with you; partly because it very strongly defied the model for co-operative tactics that Counter-Strike so defined. It did away with giving the player freedom of choice over load-outs, pushing everything into very well defined classes and putting focus on really learning a build, not unlike learning a character in a fighting game.
What I really enjoyed about Neotokyo, is that it was, in actuality, multiplayer. Counter-Strike is not multiplayer, Call of Duty, is not multiplayer. You can tell me that that is the genre underpinning the mechanics, that you are playing it with real people. In the overall structure of a match of these games, the only way they are multiplayer is in the fact that other people get in the way of you earning more points.
You cannot win a match of Neotokyo by yourself, voice communication, planning, Laughing when you get killed or fall, shouting to your teammates, feeling the stress mount as you watch your team vanish when you possess the ghost. These are things where players can interact and help eachother, and actually be a part of the game.
Now maybe it's because Neotokyo was mostly made by professional graphic designers, or possesses an absolutely haunting synth soundtrack, or is incredibly well constructed as a game and the maps are legitimately entertaining to play.
For some reason, it's an experience I'd love to share with you.

I also deliberately avoided including pictures of the game, because I want you to draw your own conclusions on how it merely looks when you actually log onto steam, download a copy from this link
http://www.moddb.com/mods/neotokyo
and play the game with me.

My steam is KojjiroTheMaeon, and I'll be waiting.
If I had HL2 I'd probably give it a shot. Looks pretty cool, hope you find someone to play with Big Grin
The source SDK comes free with steam. You actually don't need Half-Life 2

;]
I used to play Neotokyo a couple years agoback when it was still updated, but I thought they killed the whole projecct off?
i seem to remember trying to find it and the entire page being gone for some reason.
(06-20-2012, 08:36 AM)MRSKELETON Wrote: [ -> ]The source SDK comes free with steam. You actually don't need Half-Life 2

;]

Really? I'll see if I can do it then, if I get it working (and like it) I'll friend you on Steam.
just downloaded it so I think I'll give it a shot.
If you still need some players, let me know. I'll download the game and get a few rounds with ya'
i would love more players
I'd give it a shot but the whole "teamwork is required" thing is kind of discouraging seeing as I don't own anything better than a crappy webcam mic so I wouldn't be able to communicate well at all, especially with the feedback noise from it picking up everything around. Unless you think it's possible to play it right without one?
It's pretty possible. Can you stay in a group ?