The VG Resource

Full Version: Planning to Rip Sonic 4 Episode 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So Does Anyone know how to Crack Model Formats?
I'll need to know how so that I can create a public Exporter.
So please pitch in.
It's not as easy as it sounds. Remember how long it took Twilightzoney (Shawn) to make the Generations script?
(06-16-2012, 12:04 PM)josh98 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not as easy as it sounds. Remember how long it took Twilightzoney (Shawn) to make the Generations script?
Erm, the Generations script was based of chrrox's Unleashed script.
I know. And you know what I meant.
I meant what I thought you didn't meant because you maybe didn't mean to look it meant like that.
GameAssassin can rip from this game.
(06-16-2012, 06:00 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]I meant what I thought you didn't meant because you maybe didn't mean to look it meant like that.
GameAssassin can rip from this game.
Can You PM Me some sort of guide to help me Rip Sonic and Tails, and Not the Backgrounds?
(06-20-2012, 07:59 PM)KVDudeClscSonic1998 Wrote: [ -> ]Can You PM Me some sort of guide to help me Rip Sonic and Tails, and Not the Backgrounds?
There's no point in ripping Sonic or Tails's models, considering they're the same models that Sega used in Sonic Unleased, just with modified textures.
I got RTB's Metal Sonic it's So Lovely (Its Fully Rigged!), All i need now its the Tornado! If i only Knew how GA Worked ):[/align]
Actually, @josh98 and thegameexplorer that was me who worked on the .model script, not TwilightZoney, and Link and Kentalin were involved in the original .model script majorly. Also cracked the Episode II PC format wide open during the beta. It was simple shit actually. It does not work well with skeletons however because something is really messed up with them. And @Random Talking Bush, they're actually closer in design to the Unleashed models if you look at the mouths, though the mouth rigs are closer to that of Generations (IIRC). I'll release that script whenever I actually figure out how to fix the skeletons and weight them appropriately.
(08-04-2012, 03:06 AM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]And @Random Talking Bush, they're actually closer in design to the Unleashed models if you look at the mouths, though the mouth rigs are closer to that of Generations (IIRC). I'll release that script whenever I actually figure out how to fix the skeletons and weight them appropriately.
Right. Tails's textures have the same names as his Unleashed model's, which also helps with that fact.

And on a similar note, gawd dang there are a lot of *NO model formats that Sega's using for their games. All of which are very similar to one another, from what I've seen (such as starting with the same N*IF headers). Still have no idea how to parse them, as I'm a complete newb to that kinda thing. The ones I've seen are as follows (if this means anything):

CNO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (PS3)
ENO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic Free Riders (XBox 360)
GNO: Various Sonic games (Wii)
INO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (iPod / Windows Phone 7, possibly the Android / Blackberry versions?)
UNO: K-On: Houkago Live (PSP)
XNO: Sonic the Hedgehog '06 (XBox 360)
ZNO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (PC)

I'm not sure if the PS3 version of Sonic 06 has a different model format or not, as I don't have the files to check.
(08-04-2012, 05:30 AM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]And on a similar note, gawd dang there are a lot of *NO model formats that Sega's using for their games. All of which are very similar to one another, from what I've seen (such as starting with the same N*IF headers). Still have no idea how to parse them, as I'm a complete newb to that kinda thing. The ones I've seen are as follows (if this means anything):

CNO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (PS3)
ENO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic Free Riders (XBox 360)
GNO: Various Sonic games (Wii)
INO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (iPod / Windows Phone 7, possibly the Android / Blackberry versions?)
UNO: K-On: Houkago Live (PSP)
XNO: Sonic the Hedgehog '06 (XBox 360)
ZNO: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (PC)

I'm not sure if the PS3 version of Sonic 06 has a different model format or not, as I don't have the files to check.

XNO is also used in the PS3 version of Sonic 2006, but I think they slightly vary from their 360 counterparts.

I've basically looked at each one except UNO (Hadn't heard of it until now) and CNO (Can't seem to get the cpk files from Sonic 4 to extract). The model format is actually pretty simple, but then again, I had a little help from a friend before hand...and I've been at cracking formats for almost two years, and been working in hex since 2007 roughly.

And just to add some fuel into this, the original person to crack into some of these formats is the wonderful Kentalin. To my knowledge, she wrote a GNO reader with animation support and XNO PS3 version with animation support for Sonic 2006, both based on her brres viewer. None of these tools are available however, and might never be since not many people actually got them from her plus she's since left the scene. I will, however, release whatever tools I can when I feel they're finished. The two formats I've worked on the most have been GNO and ZNO. ZNO requires an overhaul of the skeletal structure for models before anything else, and GNO requires the weights to be properly understood. They both need some texture support though, haha. I also wrote stuff for ENO, but it needs to be over hauled completely.

And just so I don't leave you all empty handed with a long winded speech on all this BS, haha.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2094/17365511.png
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7097/62836896.png
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/120/excalibursonic.png
(Links because the images are big...)
(08-04-2012, 07:32 AM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]I've basically looked at each one except UNO (Hadn't heard of it until now) and CNO (Can't seem to get the cpk files from Sonic 4 to extract). The model format is actually pretty simple, but then again, I had a little help from a friend before hand...and I've been at cracking formats for almost two years, and been working in hex since 2007 roughly.
Here's a sample of both model formats:

Sonic (CNO)
Yui: Body 1 (UNO)

Neither of them are necessary, since CNO is redundant due to ENO and ZNO being used for the same game, and UNO doesn't even have anything to do with Sonic at all. Tongue
(08-04-2012, 01:13 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2012, 07:32 AM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]I've basically looked at each one except UNO (Hadn't heard of it until now) and CNO (Can't seem to get the cpk files from Sonic 4 to extract). The model format is actually pretty simple, but then again, I had a little help from a friend before hand...and I've been at cracking formats for almost two years, and been working in hex since 2007 roughly.
Here's a sample of both model formats:

Sonic (CNO)
Yui: Body 1 (UNO)

Neither of them are necessary, since CNO is redundant due to ENO and ZNO being used for the same game, and UNO doesn't even have anything to do with Sonic at all. Tongue

I'll probably work on something for CNO just in case the PS3 ever gets an exclusive title. As for UNO...I have no honest idea whether I should or not. Do you, or anyone for that matter, know what Sonic Rivals uses? I tried getting in there for the models once before and failed miserably.
(08-04-2012, 03:46 PM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]I'll probably work on something for CNO just in case the PS3 ever gets an exclusive title. As for UNO...I have no honest idea whether I should or not. Do you, or anyone for that matter, know what Sonic Rivals uses? I tried getting in there for the models once before and failed miserably.
As far as I know, both Sonic Rivals games use an *.STR format, which is fairly unknown.