The VG Resource

Full Version: The Banjo-Kazooie thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So yesterday, I was supposed to be working on a project at a friend's house. Instead, we dusted off the N64, and fired up Banjo, probably for the first time in about 10 years for me.

My god, it has not changed one bit. The intro struck a bell as soon as it started, and from then on I almost played from memory. The levels seem a bit smaller now maybe, because a) I've grown up and b) technology has evolved, but still; it was like seeing on old friend from elementary school again.

The Good:
  • Great music with transitions really confering different atmospheres to parts of levels
  • The retarded talking noises
  • The batty plot
  • The gameplay and tutorial
The Bad:
  • The game is a MASSIVE collect-a-fest. Seriously, there are at least 6 different types of items you have to pick up in a level
  • The N64 analog stick; it's not as good as you remember
I would say it has aged comparatively well, when you look at most N64 games. Kind of slow paced, but games were back then.

Here's an intro for those who have forgotten:

So, if you have any Banjo experiences or ideas, this is the place. Big Grin
Never played the N64 version of the games, I have both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on XBLA though. I really wish there was another one like those.
Yeah there's so much crap to collect. Haven't played it for years mind but it was annoying even back then.
I remember falling out with my brothers over an argument of if the Jinjos (or whatever the hell those things you saved are called) said "Thank You" or "Banjoooo" when you saved them (I was on the Thank You side). Ah kids...

I spent far too much time on that game after completing it using an Action Replay to do stupid crap, spending far too many nights discussing the Stop n Swap and all that... And just flying around as a bee. I seriously have no idea why I enjoyed doing that so much but well - I did.
These games are what made the N64 one of my top three favorite systems.
I beat Banjo-Tooie like 4 times on both N64 and XBOX360.

Nuts n' Bolts was a terrible idea in my opinion, because it's absolutely nothing like the others, and in the end it's not even a Banjo game.
I wouldn't say Nuts N Bolts was a bad game, it just wasn't what any Banjo fan wanted. Thus a stupid thing to do. And ensuring the series wouldn't be continued afterwards. Rare fans are a passionate bunch (before the Kinect days anyway) and a "proper" Banjo 3 would have no doubt be good for Rare's tarnished image.

I never got far in Tooie - it just seemed too similar to me. Though I can remember playing the multiplayer at a friends house for a while.
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie were the only true Banjo games. Just sayin'!
EASTER EGG
Huaagh gosh, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie are 2 of reasons I love the N64, along with DK64, Mario Party 1-3 and many others, Banjo Tooie is my favorite of the Banjo Kazooie series, plus it's the only one that I finished ( I took 10 years lol ).
I had a go at Banjo-Tooie (might have been Kazooie, can't remember) on the N64 once. Other than that my only real Banjo experience has been Banjo Pilot for the GBA, it's pretty fun until you unlock that badger guy. You can win any race blindfolded, his plane is perfect in all aspects.
I love Banjo-Kazooie. Tooie was great too, I just preferred the levels from the first game.
I didn't hate Nuts & Bolts, but I was disappointed. I always wanted Banjo-Threeie, but nowadays I've pretty much accepted that I won't be getting it.
With the state Rare is in now, I doubt we may ever see Banjo again...

Too bad because Banjo was one of my all time favorite series. You see I love treasure hunting. I love to freely explore and discover things, and Banjo-Kazooie was really good at that.

Worlds that you just wanted to run and jump and fly around. It was amazing!
The fact that rareware was sold to nintendo alone was the death of them.

I think nintendo should at least try to purchase some of their franchises (especially banjo, perfect dark, and conker) because it could help nintendo a bunch at this point.
(06-01-2012, 05:53 PM)Captain Artebrock Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that rareware was sold to nintendo alone was the death of them.

I think nintendo should at least try to purchase some of their franchises (especially banjo, perfect dark, and conker) because it could help nintendo a bunch at this point.

There was an article in Retro Gamer magazine about Rare recently. Former employees detailed the shift in working conditions once Microsoft took over - going from near-total independence and fun times to a standard hierarchy with a far more formal approach to business.
Young neckbeards do not like corporate culture.
(06-01-2012, 06:31 PM)tykel Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2012, 05:53 PM)Captain Artebrock Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that rareware was sold to nintendo alone was the death of them.

There was an article in Retro Gamer magazine about Rare recently. Former employees detailed the shift in working conditions once Microsoft took over - going from near-total independence and fun times to a standard hierarchy with a far more formal approach to business.

And that's literally what happened. Microsoft literally wants to use rare's abilities to help bury their system, not actually make games. It's stupid because Microsoft doesn't even realize that isn't how bad that is for both sides.
(06-01-2012, 06:31 PM)tykel Wrote: [ -> ]

Off-topic but... did you see my Metal Slug sprites?

Eurogamer also had a great Rare article not too long ago.
I doubt Nintendo would ever be able to buy IPs from Rare though, I just can't see that ever happening.
Pages: 1 2