The VG Resource

Full Version: Decima: The Last Story of Vald
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello peoples! I've been developing this game for a while now. It's not all that far through development, and it's mostly menus at the moment, but I can show you some of what exists so far. This game is called Decima: The Last Story of Vald. It's a vertical scrolling space danmaku and, while that sounds dull and overdone, it's being made in a way that should make things a little more interesting.

Here's a teaser poster:
Head on over to the development blog for some more info:

http://decimatlsov.wordpress.com/

I'll be updating this blog with info, screenshots, videos and (mostly) ranting. I'll also be posting some of that stuff here, but the dev blog is the place to find all of it. Stay tuned.
Looks pretty cool. Let me guess... Made with Java? :p
Will your game have a storyline?
Made with C# and XNA. Yes it will have a storyline. Most of it is already planned out, and it's got a lot more character interaction than you might expect from this sort of game. It's going to be great.
Added a couple of blog posts to show what I've been doing today, also have some close-ups:

[Image: mwjqZ.png] [Image: hatq6.png]
May I ask how you plan to add character interaction into this sort of game?
For one thing, each character is connected to the other characters via a radio. At any point during a level (in story mode only), they can chime in and have a conversation (with full voice acting). Between levels, we have a system of cutscenes to allow characters to interact with each other when not in their ships. Instead of treating this like a game when writing the story, we've treated it like a story that happens to fit to a game, thus the characters interact as they would in a book or film, rather than as they would in other games of this genre.

The characters themselves are also designed to have distinct personalities and relationships with other characters. One character, for example, is the leader of a team of 3, and really cares about the other members of his team, to the extent that an entire level is based on his blind rage after one of his team is kidnapped.

That enough for you?
I like the storyline and it's style. Sounds really interesting. How much of the game have you finished making? (make it in percents if you don't mind :p)
Very little, so far. At the moment, the actual content of the game is at around 0%, since I'm getting the engine sorted out first. In terms of total completion, it's hard to say, but it's probably around 2 or 3%. Progress should come quickly once the engine is done, though.
The game engine is the hardest part to make. It's also the most time consuming. Once that's down, all you have to do is assign properties to the sprites/models (whatever you're using)
Technically I'm using sprites, since the models are all pre-rendered.

It's not quite as simple as that, in any case, but that's the general idea.
Sounds pretty interesting. You seem quite experienced, have you made many games before and have you got any general pointers for making a game?
I made several flash games in the past, but I haven't finished a project for a long time. I've spent a few years practising, just brushing up my skills and the formation of my ideas. This will be my first completed project since 2007.
Concentrate your mind.
Mutter the spell to the Mini-Elemental-Reactor tenderly.
Aim at someone you don't like.
Now, unleash your annihilation of love!

[Image: StOMz.png]

Laser is not difficult.
Screenshots!

Made a Facebook page for the smaller details on what's going on.

http://www.facebook.com/DecimaTLSOV
Pages: 1 2